Flag, Detroit, MI. 1942 July, Arthur Siegel, (1913-1978) photographer.
Pirates' "Armed Forces Appreciation" Night at PNC Park Saturday, August 24th
The Pirates are having an "Armed Forces Appreciation" Night at PNC Park on Saturday, August 24th. It is a heavily discounted ticket (special for Military members & Veterans) that includes an Armed Forces T-shirt (link is below).
They are looking to go ALL OUT! They are also working with their corporate partners to have other added benefits (like a complimentary hot dog, beverage, etc....more details to come). They are also going to have Color Guards from each branch of the military, the players are going to wear military influenced Pirates uniforms on that day, and they are working on a flyover, etc.
The hope is that they have enough military and veterans in attendance that Saturday that we could ask them to rise and be recognized during our TV broadcast. More info: https://www.mlb.com/pirates/tickets/specials/armed-forces
PA Hero Walk Military Appreciation Day Saturday, Aug. 10th, Greensburg
Military Appreciation Event hosted by Z&M Harley-Davidson and Operation Vet NOW Inc. OVN. Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 9:30 AM – 3 PM, Z&M Harley-Davidson, 6130 US-30, Greensburg, Pennsylvania 15601
Join us for a day of REMEMBERING, HONORING, & SUPPORTING our great military, both active duty, & Veterans. Be here to welcome the riders from the Fallen Heroes Run at noon with a special tribute to local Gold Star families following the arrival of the Fallen Heroes Run.
All active duty and Veterans will receive a free gift courtesy of Z&M and 15% OFF licensed products in the store.
Enjoy music by local Veteran, Danny Haynes as well as Free food!
See military displays, equipment, and vehicles by U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S. Air Force, PA National Guard, and more!
Visit the Operation Vet NOW Inc. OVN Veterans Village supported by these organizations: Operation Troop Appreciation, Team Red, White & Blue, VA Vet Centers, Devil Dogs, Marine For Life, Mission 22, STAT Ligonier Therapeutic Center, and Westmoreland County Veterans of the War on Terror.
Sign up for the Fallen heroes run 2019 at http://opvetnow.org and show your support for and help bring awareness to the sacrifice our soldiers and military families make for our freedom.
PA DMVA: News from around the region, state, and nation
Women Veterans Potluck Party:
- July 27, 2019, 5 p.m.
- 3617 N. Hills Rd., Murrysville, PA (Westmoreland County)
- R.S.V.P. to Patty by July 20, 2019, at 412-254-3194 or email [email protected]
- Bring yourself, your significant other, kids, grandkids and your favorite dish! Last name A-Q please bring a side dish/salad. Last name R-Z please bring dessert.
Rivers Casino 10 Charities In 10 Weeks:
- Aug. 3, 2019, Noon-8 p.m.
- Rivers Casino, 777 Casino Dr., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)
- Donate $10 to the Southwestern Veterans' Center and receive $10 Free slot play or match play!
DMVA Reminds Service Members that Help is Available for Qualifying Members Due to Emergency Circumstances:
The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) wants service members across the commonwealth to know that they are not alone when it comes to facing this summer’s wrath like heat waves or flooding. The DMVA oversees the Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP) that provides financial assistance to eligible service members who have a direct and immediate financial need as a result of circumstances beyond their control. Read more.
On-Site Job Fair At DMVA's Pennsylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home In Erie:
WE’RE HIRING: DMVA's Pennsylvania Soldiers' and Sailors' Home (PSSH) in Erie County is hiring registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and certified nurse aides! Join us for the ON-SITE JOB FAIR, Thursday, July 25. For more information call 814-878-4974 or visit Read more.
Pennsylvania Soldiers, Airmen Compete In Governor’s Twenty Match To Determine Best Marksmen:
Seventy Pennsylvania National Guard (PNG) soldiers and airmen competed with rifles and pistols in multiple courses of fire to determine the best marksmen during the Governor’s Twenty match at Fort Indiantown Gap recently. Created in 1968, the Governor's Twenty is a state-level National Guard award presented annually to the top 20 shooters in a state. Read more.
Video Message From Pennsylvania National Guard And State Police To Register Your Veteran Status With DMVA:
Pennsylvania veterans, their families, and those who work with veterans can sign up for the Pennsylvania Veterans Registry at register.dmva.pa.gov. This Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs program is designed to help veterans get timely information about the benefits and services available to them. Watch the Facebook video from the Pennsylvania State Police featuring Trooper Brent Miller joined by Col. Mike Wegsheider of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard. Watch.
Around the State
Editorial – Helping The Unclaimed Dead To Rest In Peace:
The unclaimed dead are a growing burden for local governments. There are three measures that experts believe Pennsylvania law makers should consider, two ideas relate to unclaimed U.S. military veterans, who are eligible for free burial in a veterans cemetery as long as they were honorably discharged. Read more.
Former Penn State QB Trace McSorley Coaches At Camp For Children Of Service Members:
Trace McSorley and the rest of the Baltimore Ravens rookies reported to training camp, but the former Penn State quarterback didn’t stay glued to his couch during his final week of free time. McSorley recently coached at a camp designed for children of military service members. Read more.
Local Police Chief Receives VFW Award:
Hermitage (Mercer County) police Chief Eric Jewell was named police officer of the year by Pennsylvania's Veterans of Foreign Wars, and has received the state VFW's John Radko Police Officer of the Year Award. Read more.
Navy Asks To Test Wells Of Hampden Township (Cumberland County) Homeowners Near Base:
The Navy is asking Hampden Township homeowners who live within a mile of its base if it may test their private wells. “The Navy basically said to us that it’s a program that’s going on around the country at various installations,” Al Bienstock, president of the Hamden Township Board of Commissioners, said. Read more.
Pennsylvania Air Guard Engineers Strengthen Skills In Canada:
Pennsylvania Air National Guard members from the 171st Air Refueling Wing, Coraopolis (Allegheny County) Civil Engineer Squadron took the opportunity to gain job-specific training that cannot be acquired at home station. They deployed to the 8th Wing Royal Canadian Armed Forces Base in Trenton, Ontario. Read more.
Across the Nation
Army Veteran Shows The Path To Recovery:
Many veterans struggle to readjust to civilian life when they leave the military, and those struggles often include substance abuse and alcohol addiction. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Charleston, WV employee Jerry Weaver was one of those veterans. He struggled with substance abuse for more than two decades while trying to find his place in a post-service life. Read more.
New Law Increases U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Home Loan Limits, Funding Fees:
A law signed by President Donald Trump on June 25 to provide compensation to ill veterans who served on Navy ships in Vietnam also made several changes to VA-backed home loans for all eligible veterans. Read more.
Statues Lowered Into Ocean For Veterans Underwater Dive Memorial:
A dozen life size statues are now in the Gulf of Mexico as part of an underwater dive memorial dedicated to U.S. veterans. The memorial, known as the “Circle of Heroes” and touted as the first of its kind by its creators, will feature 24 concrete statues of service members in total to represent the Air Force, the Army, the Navy, the Marines and the Coast Guard. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Creates Innovative Solutions With The National Association Of Veteran-Serving Organizations (NAVSO):
VA joined forces with the National Association of Veteran-Serving Organizations (NAVSO) to amplify information about VA news and programs available to veterans, their families, caregivers, and survivors. NAVSO will serve as a communications channel, and it partners with organizations to create innovative solutions for challenges occurring in the veteran community. Read more.
Veterans Of Foreign Wars (VFW) Calls On Vietnam Vets To Return Mementos Brought Home From War:
U.S. veterans of the Vietnam War have been asked to return memorabilia they brought home to aid in the effort to account for North Vietnamese Army (NVA) and Viet Cong missing-in-action troops they fought against. The request came from Veterans of Foreign Wars ahead of the 120-year-old organization's annual convention, which starts in Orlando, Fla., this weekend. Read more.
Veterans Of Foreign Wars (VFW) Snaps 27-Year Membership Decline And Adds Nearly 25,000 New Members:
The VFW said it has added almost 25,000 new members during the past year, ending a long period of steady decline. Officials with the 120-year-old veteran service organization attribute the uptick to a new strategy to target new members using social media, as well as word of mouth, to inform veterans how much work they do to serve veterans. Read more.
Veterans Ride Their Way To Recovery:
Veterans at the Bay Pines U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Healthcare System in Bay Pines, Fla., are partnering with horses on their road to recovery. While participating in Equine Assisted Learning workshops, veterans in the Warriors in Transition program do a lot more than simply ride. Read more.
Why Leaving The Military Is Harder For Female Vets:
When she left the military in 2005, Jodie M. Grenier went from being on a team of intelligence analysts, with a top security clearance, to waiting tables. “It was frustrating. I had a very purpose-driven job, and when I got out, I went to a community college and waited tables,” Grenier said. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
ABARTA Coca-Cola Is Hiring Veterans:
ABARTA Coca-Cola is currently recruiting for a few openings throughout PA and WV. ABARTA Coca-Cola is a family owned company and a division of ABARTA, a diversified third and fourth generation family business. For a list of open positions please visit their Website.
Comcast Is Hiring Security Investigator 2:
The security investigator 2 is responsible for performing investigations of alleged criminal or other activity that has or may have a negative impact on the company. This includes employee or non-employee criminal activity as it relates to the company as well as activity that violates company policy. Apply.
Defense Information System Agency (DISA) 1 Day Hiring Event:
- Aug. 1, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Carlisle Barracks, Soldier for Life Media Center Classroom, Building 842 Sumner Rd., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)
- For more information contact Jeffrey Hanks at 717-245-3889, ext. 3684 or email [email protected]
- Dress For Success and stop by to meet the hiring team and learn how you can work for DISA and how DISA can work for you!
Federal Government Contracting Seminar For Veteran-Owned Businesses:
- Aug. 7, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m., Registration begins at 8 a.m.
- Abie Abraham VA Health Care Center, 353 North Duffy Rd., HCC Auditorium, Second Floor, Butler, PA (Butler County)
- Point of Contact: Ms. Renee Decker at 724-738-2346 or email [email protected]
- The GACO/GCAC PTAC program is hosting this free seminar to provide information to SDVOSBs and VOSBs interested in pursuing federal government contracts.
- Register by Aug. 6, 2019
Military Veterans Launch New Careers As Travel Advisors:
When Manuel Padilla first signed up for a travel advisor training program geared toward military veterans, he thought things would be easy, considering he spent 10 years in the U.S. Air Force followed by a lengthy career in aviation. The knowledge needed to become a successful travel advisor required a much greater understanding of the world than he realized. However, less than a year after launching his own company, Padilla’s independent travel agency, Kwik Escapes LLC, is finding its groove. Read more.
Pennsylvania National Guard Associations (PNGAS) – Jobs For Members And Veterans Of Pennsylvania National Guard And Their Families:
PNGAS has created a new jobs board and all employers are invited to post Guard-friendly jobs, at PNGAS Job Board. Guard members, veterans, and their families, citizens and companies are welcome to use the jobs board and no taxpayer funds have been or will be used to operate the PNGAS jobs board. We encourage companies to post Guard-friendly jobs, as well as review and select posted resumes from the site. Here is the code for a FREE 90-Day Test Drive: "Code90A".
Pennsylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home Job Fair:
- July 25, 2019, 1-5 p.m.
- 560 E. Third St., Erie, PA (Erie County)
- Any questions call 814-878-4974
- Immediate openings for registered nurses ($72,889/yr), licensed practical nurses ($43,012/yr) and certified nurses ($31,880/yr).
- Unable to attend? Apply online.
ServiceSource Job Fair:
- Aug. 7, 2019 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- 166th Regiment Dining Facility, Building 8-71 Bearty Ave., Annville, PA (Lebanon PA)
- ServiceSource is seeking customer-focused staff. Interviews will be conducted during the job fair for the following positions: food service workers, cooks, stock, cashier and laundry at the Fort Indiantown Gap location. On-site Interviews with recruiters and hiring managers. Qualified individuals and veterans with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- We encourage you to apply online prior to attending the job fair.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Careers Offer Parents Work-Life Balance While Serving Veterans:
With National Parents’ Day coming up on July 28, VA is reminding job seekers that they recognize the need working parents have for a work/life balance. VA offers a robust combination of benefits and perks that help working parents care for family and advance in their career. From competitive salaries and comprehensive insurance benefits to remote work possibilities and child care subsidies, VA offers rewarding careers. Read more.
Veterans Wanted To Work At Military Exchanges Downrange:
If you are a veteran who would like to return to the Middle East, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAES), may have a job for you. Currently, jobs are open in Kuwait, but positions frequently come available in eight countries in the Middle East, including Iraq and Afghanistan. Read more.
Waste Management Hiring CDL Rolloff Truck Driver In Camp Hill, PA (Cumberland County):
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information
- Requirements: one-plus years of previous experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving within the past seven years. Must be at least 21 years of age and must hold a current Class A CDL with an air brake endoresement. Sign-on bonuses of $5,000 are available.
Waste Management has been recognized as Best Employer of veterans, by G.I. Jobs and CivilianJobs.com.
Waste Management Hiring In Beach Lake (Wayne County):
- Waste Management is hiring CDL residential drivers, CDL commercial drivers and CDL rolloff drivers
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information
- Requirements: Must hold a current CDL A or B License with air brake endorsement, one-plus year experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or military driving within the last seven years. These positions are eligible for a $5,000 sign on bonus and up to $5,000 benefits reimbursement. Waste Management has been recognized as best employer of veterans by G.I. Jobs Top 100 and CivilianJobs.com.
This llsting is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Free Gardening Workshops For Veterans:
- All workshops, 10 a.m.-noon: July 25, plant propagation; Aug. 1, vegetable garden
- Penn State Extension, 101 Motor Pool Way, Butler, PA (Butler County)
- Space is limited and first come, first serve. Veterans must register for each workshop before attending. Please call 878-271-6484 to register.
- Are you interested in gardening? Do you like to plant flowers, vegetables or fruit? Do you want to learn research-based and sustainable horticultural practices? If you said yes, these workshops are for you. The workshops will be hands-on and educational. All supplies will be provided for each workshop.
Military Discharge Upgrae Clinic:
- July 25, 2019, 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Lebanon VA Medical Center, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Building 37, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)
- Make an appointment today at 202-733-3324 or email [email protected]
- Do you have an other than honorable discharge? Meet with an attorney for free. Free representation for veterans with other than honorable discharges related to PTSD, traumatic brain injury, or similar mental health conditions.
Veteran Benefits Seminar:
- July 25, 2019, 2-4 p.m.
- Community Library of Western Perry County, 104 E. Main St., Blain, PA (Perry County)
- Questions about the event, call 717-272-6621, ext. 4298
- An information table on veterans benefits will be set-up and a presentation on will take place at 3 p.m. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Health Care enrollment packets will be given out and assistance will be available and Perry County's director of veterans affairs will be on-site to assist and meet veterans.
On To Mt. Gretna – Camp Hastings 1898:
- July 27-28, 2019, ceremony for Soldiers Field, Mt. Gretna (Lebanon County) 10 a.m. Saturday
- Come to Soldiers Field and catch a glimpse of Camp Hastings during the Spanish American War. Volunteers will be providing a living history program on the mobilization of the National Guard of Pennsylvania in the spring of 1898.
- For more information please visit the NGP History Project Website and Facebook page.
Veterans Emergency Fund Dice Run:
- July 27, 2019, Registration 10 a.m., Kick stands up 11 a.m.
- Reynoldsville Eagles, 425 E. Main St., Reynoldsville, PA (Jefferson County)
- Point of contact: Krupa Steele at 814-849-1529 or Ben Steele at 814-661-0360
- 100 percent of fundraiser proceeds go to support local veterans and their families by assisting in their financial needs. This run helps raise money and awareness to provide our vets with food, shelter and utilities. You are invited to participate in this worthy cause to help ensure that no veteran goes hungry or homeless. $10 a person. Annual pig roast $5. Camping available and covered dish appreciated. 468 Sandy Valley Rd., Reynoldsville, PA (Jefferson County). All donations are greatly appreciated. Please make checks payable to: Jefferson Co. Abate (Memo: Jefferson Co. Veterans Affairs). Checks can be mailed to: Jefferson Co. Dept. Veterans Affairs, 155 Main St., Brookville, PA 15825.
Veteran Appreciation Day:
- July 31, 2019, 9 a.m.
- PA CareerLink of Greene County, 200 Green Plaza, Waynesburg, PA (Greene County)
- The PA CareerLink of Greene County is having a veteran appreciation day. They will have event speakers and employers on hand to do open interviews. Please bring your DD214, resume and transcripts.
26th Annual Bucktail Reunion:
- Aug. 2-4, 2019
- Myerstown Park, 450 S. College St., Myerstown, PA (Lebanon County)
- For more information or to register contact Matt Herring at 978-979-8462 or email [email protected]
- The Bucktail community of Myerstown will remember and honor the service and sacrifice of the courageous Bucktail Brothers. The Ol't Boys have guided us to this Bucktail Town for a reunion for the first time, home of 149th PA, Company C, known as the Color Company, which so bravely engaged in combat during the first days of battle at Gettysburg and would forever be recollected with "The Color Episode."
- Facebook page.
14th Annual Willow Creek Triathlon:
- Aug. 3, 2019, 9 a.m.
- Start: Quaker Lake Beach, ASP 3, Salamance, NY (Cattaraugus County) Finish: Willows Restaurant, 2669 West Washington St., Bradford, PA (McKean County)
- Point of contact: John Tim at 814-558-6329 or email [email protected]
- Registration is $60 per individual, $100 per team. Sprint triathlon (300 yds swim, 15 mile bike, and 5K run) and Duathlon events (15 mile bike and 5K run) for individuals and teams. All proceeds contributed to the DAVs of Warren, PA and McKean, PA counties.
Veteran's Open House:
- Aug. 7, 2019 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The Salvation Army Ladore Lodge, 398 S. St., Waymart, PA (Wayne County)
- Any questions contact 570-488-6129
- Veteran's open house to honor all veterans. Motorcycle show and classic car show. Trophies awarded and there will be a flea market. Consider joining us as veterans from surrounding communities come together for a day of fellowship and fun.
Central Pennsylvania Vietnam Round Table:
- Aug. 8, 2019, 7:30 p.m.
- VVA Michael J. Novosel Medal of Honor Capital Chapter 542, 8000 Derry St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)
- For further information, contact Richard Burton at 717-545-2336 or email [email protected]
- Following a brief business meeting, Denny Kuehn, from Carlisle, will discuss his Sept. 1971-April, 1972 Vietnam experiences as a member of C Troop, 2/17th Air Cav, 101st Airborne Division and also the Air Cav Troop, 11th ACR.
Veteran Benefits Seminar:
- Aug. 13, 2019, 2-4 p.m.
- Marysville-Rye Library, 198 Overcrest Rd., Marysville, PA (Perry County)
- Questions about the event, call 717-272-6621 ext. 4298
- An information table on veterans benefits will be set-up and a presentation on will happen at 3 p.m. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Health Care enrollment packets will be given out and assistance will be available and Perry County's director of veterans affairs will be on-site to assist and meet veterans.
MilitaryShare Fresh Express Program:
- Aug. 22, 2019, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Fort Indiantown Gap, Fitzpatrick Hall-Bldg 10-104, Clement Ave., Annville, PA (Lebanon County)
- Point of contact: Roxie at 717-861-6299 or 717-821-4684 or email [email protected] to pre-register. Pre-registration is required by Aug. 12
- In Pennsylvania, nearly 26 percent of households receiving food assistance have at least one member who has served or is currently serving in the military. MilitaryShare, a Fresh Express Program of the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, is designed to provide fresh, nutritious foods for families with at least one member who has served or is currently serving in the armed forces.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo:
- Aug. 24, 2019, 9 a.m.-noon
- Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, PA (Luzerne County)
- Call Crystal A. Petery at 717-861-6904 or email crpet[email protected]
- Led by the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Governor's Advisory Council on Veterans Services is inviting women veterans and those actively serving to a FREE Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo. Learn about programs and services available to you, speak with representatives and pick up resources. No registration is required and the event is open to women veterans and women service members. We hope to see you there!
- Press release.
Pennsylvania's First All Female Veteran Call To Duty – Honor Flight Philadelphia:
- Sept. 21, 2019
- Washington, D.C.
- For trip details call 215-301-8890 or 215-954-5634 or email [email protected]
- Honor Flight Philadelphia is currently looking for female veterans who would like to join a trip to Washington in a day of honor and recognition, to view the memorials dedicated to their service at no cost to the veteran.
- Honor Flight Facebook page.