Changes for family caregivers, Westmoreland Veterans Court, more from PA DMVA
Adjutant General Reaches Out To PA Legislature To Support Gov. Wolf's PA GI Bill:
Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, Pennsylvania’s adjutant general and head of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA), sent letters to the PA General Assembly requesting support for Governor Tom Wolf’s proposed PA GI Bill, or Military Family Education Program (MFEP). If passed, the proposed education benefit would be the first of its kind in the nation. Read more.
Cambridge Springs (Crawford County) Resident Honored By Governor Tom Wolf For Military Service, DMVA Adjutant General Attends Event:
"The only thing I wanted to be since I was 5 years old was an Army nurse." Those are the words of Maj. Barbara Ellis. She was recently recognized along with 15 others by Governor Tom Wolf and first lady Frances Wolf at a ceremony at the Governor's Residence in Harrisburg (Dauphin County). The event was the Pennsylvania Commission for Women's Female Veterans Day celebration. Read more.
Job Fair – Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home:
DMVA's Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home, 500 Municipal Dr., Hollidaysburg, PA (Blair County), will hold an open house on Wednesday, May 1 and Thursday, May 2, 2019. Opportunities for employment include: certified nurse aide, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse and registered nurse supervisor. Read more.
PA National Guardsman Returns To Myrtle Beach To Honor Airport, Staff:
A member of the Pennsylvania National Guard returned to Myrtle Beach recently to show his appreciation for the community and the Myrtle Beach International Airport. Master Sgt. George Roach said back in September, the Pennsylvania National Guard was given only eight hours notice that they would be heading to South Carolina to help with rescue efforts following Hurricane Florence. Read more.
Around the State
103-Year-Old Veteran From Chambersburg, PA Among Four Who Visit Trump In Oval Office:
President Donald Trump treated four World War II veterans to an Oval Office meeting, fulfilling a birthday wish for 95-year-old Allen Jones and giving three other veterans age 100 and older a day to remember. One of the men, 101-year-old Floyd Wigfield, of Cumberland, MD, managed to win a promise from the president for a return flight on Air Force One following this June's ceremony marking the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of Normandy. Read more.
Army Reserve NCO And Daughter Prepare Tax Returns Pro Bono:
A U.S. Army Reserve non-commissioned officer and his teenage daughter have been preparing tax returns for local soldiers, veterans and community members at no cost. Sgt. John Stakeley, a 92A automated logistical specialist with the 316th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) of Coraopolis, PA (Allegheny County), and his daughter, Marissa Stakeley, together have processed scores of tax returns this season. Read more.
Club Pro Offers Free Golf Lessons For Veterans:
"If I can save one veteran, this program has done its job," Jeff Breiner said. Breiner is the head golf professional at Country Club of Harrisburg (Dauphin County). He's one of many professionals who will be donating their time over the next several weeks by providing free instructional clinics for veterans who want to learn or improve their golf game. Read more.
Imlertown Road Bridge To Be Named After Bedford Serviceman:
The Imlertown Road Bridge over Imlertown Run in Bedford County will be dedicated in honor of U.S. Army 1st Lt. Eric Fisher Wood Jr., said Rep. Jesse Topper, R-Bedford. Wood, who grew up in Bedford, served in the Pennsylvania National Guard’s Artillery Reserve until he was called to active duty to serve in Europe. Read more.
New Vietnam War Exhibit Honors Region’s Fallen Veterans:
An exhibit on the Vietnam War opening at the John Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh contains a special component honoring veterans from western PA. The Vietnam War: 1945-1975 exhibit takes visitors on a multimedia experience tracing the United States’ involvement in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, from the Cold War to the U.S. exit in the mid-1970s. Read more.
Operation Save-A-Vet, Save-A-Pet Has Made A Difference For One Greencastle Veteran:
In Greencastle (Franklin County), you might find Alex Reed with his dog, Turk. Reed received Turk two-and-a-half-years-ago through the program Operation Save-A-Vet, Save-A-Pet. The program helps veterans with service-connected disabilities. Read more.
Remains Of Three Marines Killed In Afghanistan Returned To U.S.:
The remains of three Marines killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan have been returned to the U.S., arriving at Dover Air Force Base, DE. Staff Sgt. Christopher K.A. Slutman, 43, of Newark, DE; Sgt. Benjamin S. Hines, 31, of York, PA, and Cpl. Robert A. Hendriks, 25, of Locust Valley, NY, were killed when a bomb struck their vehicle near Bagram Air Base north of Kabul, the Pentagon said. Read more.
The Refugee Experience:
The keynote speaker at the Association of College and Research Librarian (ACRL) Conference in Cleveland, OH was Vietnamese American Viet Thanh Nguyen, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and a Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction in 2016 for his debut novel The Sympathizer, which depicts the Vietnam War from a Vietnamese perspective. Nguyen is also a refugee from that war who came to the U.S. with his family in 1975, and was put into an internment camp at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA (Lebanon County). Read more.
Veterans Buck Home Buying Trend:
Home ownership for young people is on the decline. But veterans are seeing an increase, taking advantage of some much deserved help. “It kind of shocks you a little bit,” said Army veteran Brandon Brill. Brill served the country for over five years. While enlisted in the Army, he lived on base. So, when he got out, his family was in search of a house. A house in York County caught his eye, but like many young people, money for a down payment was an issue. Read more.
Westmoreland County Prepares To Launch New Veterans Court Program:
Westmoreland County court officials will soon reactivate a special court to assist veterans charged with crimes. After years of hiatus, a reinvigorated and enhanced veterans court, expected to begin operations by early May, will enable former members of the military convicted of crimes to earn reduced sentences. Read more.
Across the Nation
April Is Month Of The Military Child :
April is designated as the Month of the Military Child; a time to honor the sacrifices made by military families worldwide, with an emphasis on the experience of the dependent children of military members serving at home and overseas. Month of the Military Child is sponsored by the Department of Defense Military Community and Family Policy and supported by many other organizations. Read more.
Here Are 12 Big Changes Veteran Caregivers Will See In The Next Year:
Tens of thousands of family caregivers across the country provide daily assistance to wounded veterans, but advocates say the federal government is just now on the verge of fully embracing their role in veterans’ medical care. Late last month, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) officials agreed to a set of 12 recommendations offered by a special advisory group of veterans advocates and community activists, the culmination of 18 months of work by the panel. Read more.
Major League Baseball Unveils Commemorative Uniforms To Honor The Fallen On Memorial Day:
Major League Baseball pulled the curtain back on a number of special edition 2019 uniforms, to include editions designed to honor the fallen and celebrate military personnel throughout the month of May. Read more.
Text Messages For U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Appointment Reminders:
Have you heard about VEText? VEText is VA's text messaging appointment reminder system to alert veterans of upcoming health care appointments, allowing you to confirm or cancel quickly. Many veterans are already receiving interactive VEText appointment reminders. Every enrolled veteran with a cell phone number listed in their health record is automatically enrolled in the program. Read more.
Trump Administration's Transgender Military Policy Takes Effect:
The President Trump administration's rule barring most transgender people from serving in the military went into effect, following a long and complex legal battle. Under the new policy, which was approved by the Pentagon in March, transgender people currently serving in the military can continue to do so if they agree to serve in the gender assigned to them at birth. Read more.
VA Releases Mental Health And Suicide Prevention Toolkit For Former Guard And Reserve Members:
Improving care and support for former Guard and Reserve members who were never federally activated is a critical part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) suicide prevention efforts. Read more.
Want To Run For Office? Now There's A Politics Boot Camp For Veterans:
If you’re a veteran eyeing a run for office, you now have access to a training program specially designed to get you in the race. Syracuse University, with a grant from JP Morgan Chase & Co., plans to start a training program late this fall or early winter for veterans on the nuts-and-bolts of running for office at the state, local and federal levels. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov
Governor Wolf Announces Lulus’ Expansion Into Pennsylvania, Creating Hundreds Of Jobs In The Lehigh Valley:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Lulus, a digitally-native apparel brand for women, will expand into Pennsylvania. The project is expected to create more than 450 jobs at the selected Northampton County project site. “The Lehigh Valley has become one of the fastest-growing e-commerce hubs within the United States,” said Wolf. Read more.
Pennsylvania Wing Administrator, Ft. Indiantown Gap (Lebanon County):
The Wing Administrator works independently to provide administrative and program support to the Civil Air Patrol Wing Commander. Full job information can be found at Website.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Is Looking For Veterans To Hire:
Thermo Fisher Scientific has job opportunities for veterans in supply chain, distribution, marketing, customer service, finance, legal, sales, human resources, talent acquisition and more. Contact Don Clarke at 484-353-2227 or Apply!
Waste Management Is Hiring:
- Waste Management is hiring mobile diesel technicians in Camp Hill (Cumberland County), diesel mechanics in Bristol (Bucks County) and diesel technicians in Gilbertsville (Montgomery County).
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information
- These positions are eligible for sign-on bonuses of up $5,000.
Waste Managment Hiring Event:
- April 17 and 24, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- 200 Rangos Ln., Washington, PA (Washington County)
- Walk-ins welcome! Bring a copy of your resume. Space is limited, pre-registration is strongly encouraged. Sign-on bonuses up to $7,000. Please call 877-220-5627 for more information
DAV And RecruitMilitary Hosts Job Fair For Veterans:
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and RecruitMilitary will host a Philadelphia veterans job fair on April 18, 2019, from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Lincoln Financial Field, 1 Lincoln Financial Field Way. The free hiring event is for veterans, transitioning military personnel, National Guard members, reserve members and their spouses. Register!
Penske Hiring Truck Drivers:
- April 27, 2019, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Days Inn, 3 Everest Lane, Jonestown, PA (Lebanon County)
- Walk-in interviews, no appointment necessary. Be prepared to road test and receive a job offer the same day.
- Want more information or can’t make the event? Call 570-687-5331 to speak with a recruiter.
- apply online job #1903913.
Job Fair – Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home:
- May 1, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and 4-7 p.m.; May 2, 2019, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home, Eisenhower Hall, 500 Municipal Dr., Hollidaysburg, PA (Blair County)
- For more information, call 814-696-5552 or 814-696-5348
- Opportunities for employment: certified nurse aide, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse and registered nurse supervisor
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
State Senator Dan Laughlin To Host Veterans Resource Expo:
- April 18, 2019, 1-4 p.m.
- Mercyhurst University, Ryan Hall, 501 E. 38th St., Erie, PA (Erie County)
- Point of contact: Katie Hillman 814-453-2515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Sen. Dan Laughlin is teaming up with the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial and the offices of U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey to connect veterans and their families with valuable community resources. The expo is free and open to all veterans, no matter their branch of service or when they served.
7th Annual Matthew "Scrapper" Hanes Memorial Ride (York County):
- April 20, 2019, 9 a.m.-7p.m.
- Join the Warrior Brotherhood Motorcycle Club Pennsylvania Chapter for the 7th Annual Matthew "Scrapper" Hanes Memorial Ride. This ride is aimed at raising money for the Matthew Hanes Memorial Scholarship program at Dickinson College Army ROTC.
- Facebook page.
Mastering Wellness/IMR For Women Veterans:
- Classes start April 25, 2019, 1:30-3 p.m. and will be held every Thursday for 10 weeks.
- YWCA Greater Harrisburg, 1101 Market St, Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)
- Contact Nicole Finkle at 717-234-7931 ext. 3063 or email email@example.com for more information or to register
- Mastering wellness empowers individuals to develop and achieve meaningful goals for recovery and wellness, manage their mental health, acquire information and skills to make informed decisions about treatment options, build strong support systems and handle stress. $200 gift card given upon completion of the program. Additional incentives will be given throughout the program. Free childcare and transportation assistance.
Comedy Improv Workshop For Veterans And Their Families:
- April 26, 2019, 6:30-9 p.m.
- 1311 Santee Mill Rd., Bethlehem, PA (Northampton County)
- Point of contact: Jenny Pacanowski at 570-269-7528 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you a veteran or family of a veteran looking for a creative outlet or a fun way to de-stress? Women Veterans Empowered & Thriving presents a free comedy improv workshop provided for all veterans of all eras and their families. In this workshop, participants will gain confidence, and learn to think on their feet in a low-pressure environment. Find humor in your effort. We hope to see you there!
A Wellness Retreat For Women Veterans:
- April 27, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Hadley Union Building "the HUB", 319 Pratt Dr., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)
- FREE to all women who have served in the military. Educational workshops on health and wellness, purposeful storytelling for connection and healing, yoga, art therapy, essential oils and community resources for women veterans and their families.
- Register or call 1-800-215-7494.
Do You Need Help With Filing A V.A. Claim? Do You Need Help With An Existing Claim?:
- April 27, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- East Petersburg Fire Company, 6076 Pine St., East Petersburg, PA (Lancaster County)
- Pre-registration is required through the website. For additional information call 717-475-3009.
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) service officers will be on hand to help with an existing claim or to file a claim. Free coffee and donuts in the morning.
Williamsport Vet Center Open House And Resource Event:
- April 27, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- 49 E. Fourth St., Williamsport, PA (Lycoming County)
- Point of contact: Juanita Cook at 570-327-5281 or 570-954-2283 or email Juanita.email@example.com
- This event covers Potter, Tioga, Bradford, Clinton, Lycoming, Sullivan, Montour, Northumberland, Union, Snyder, and Mifflin counties. Free refreshments will be provided. There is no fee to attend and families are welcome.
Creative Writing Workshop And Meet-Up For Women Veterans:
- April 28, 2019, 1-4 p.m.
- Hellertown American Legion, 935 Main St., 3rd floor, Hellertown, PA (Northampton County)
- Point of contact: Jenny Pacanowski at 570-269-7528 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Free workshop for women veterans of all eras. No writing experience necessary. Location subject to change, please contact to confirm: 570-269-7528. Join for a greet, meet and eat followed by opportunity to empower your experiences through creativity, compassion and comradery.
Military Sexual Trauma Pathways To Recovery:
- April 29, 2019, noon-1:30 p.m.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Pittsburgh Healthcare System, University Dr., Bldg. 29, Learning Exchange, Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)
- All are welcome, but seating is limited. R.S.V.P. to White Oak Vet Center at 412-678-7704
- Join veterans and counselors from VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System's White Oak, Wheeling and Pittsburgh Vet Centers for a presentation and panel discussion on military sexual trauma and the pathways to recovery that veterans have found.
Complimentary Breakfast And Vietnam Veterans Pinning Ceremony:
- April 30, 2019, 9-11 a.m.
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5265, 199 W 1st Ave., Spring Grove, PA (York County)
- R.S.V.P. to Jeff Hawks at 717-258-1102 or email email@example.com
- Joe Boslet will display artifacts and discuss his experience as an advisor in Vietnam. The program will include a pinning ceremony to present official U.S. Department of Defense issued Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemorative Pins to any eligible veterans in attendance. Living U.S. veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the period of Nov. 1, 1955-May 15, 1975, regardless of location, are eligible to receive one lapel pin.
Education Benefits Fair:
- May 4, 2019, 11 am.-2 p.m.
- Fort Indiantown Gap, Bldg 8-80, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)
- Point of contact: Gail Sweigart at 717-861-9034 or email Gail.M.Sweigart.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whether you have a child going to college or you are thinking of continuing your education, there is something for everyone! Come out and learn what benefits are available to you and your family.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) Workshop:
- May 5, 2019, Noon-6 p.m., May 6, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Hunts For Healing, 3 Coburn Hill Rd., Laceyville, PA (Wyoming County)
- ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first-aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop, ASIST can be learned and used by anyone. You must attend both days to receive a certificate.
PA Cares Training Summit:
- May 22, 2019
- Comfort Inn, 1 Denver Rd., Denver, PA (Lancaster County)
- Register by April 27, 2019. If you have difficulty using the online registration, please call 717-510-8563 for assistance.
- This one-day event focuses on considerations that are needed to promote wellness within the lives of service members, veterans, and their families. Please read and follow instructions carefully. All instructions must be completed by first logging in to TRAIN PA: Go to www.train.org/pa, you will now be on the TRAIN PA homepage; Log in to TRAIN PA by entering your log in name and password and click the “Login” button. Find Course and Register; enter the keyword “PA-EBH” in the Keyword or Course ID field located in the upper right-hand portion of the screen; click the search icon button, you will be taken to the course search results page; click on the name of a course, “PA-EBH: FY18/19 2019 PA CARES Training Summit (7 Hours) – Lancaster, PA”; from the Course Details page, select the registration tab and follow the instructions to register for this course.
- Read more.
Coffee And Camaraderie:
- Fourth Friday of every month, 9 a.m.
- Heisey’s Diner, 1740 PA-72, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)
- Reserve your spot by calling 717-272-8317 or email email@example.com
- Share a free cup of coffee, your stories, and friendship with other veterans of the Lebanon Valley. All veterans are welcome. Feel free to order breakfast, but at your own expense. For those in need, breakfast sponsorships are available.