News from around the area, state, and nation
Soldier's Heart Retreat:
- April 11-14, 2019
- Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, 616 N. Highland Ave., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)
- For questions, please contact Jennifer Casale at email@example.com or 518-274-0501
- Soldier's Heart retreats provide veterans, service members, family members, professionals, and caring community members a place to learn and practice ways of providing a successful homecoming from war and military service.
- Application deadline Feb. 1, 2019. Click to Apply.
‘Stella The Riveter’ Celebrated:
Hollidaysburg Veterans’ Home resident Estelle “Stella” Shubella turned 100 years young and the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs hosted a birthday celebration for her at the home. During WWII, she worked as a riveter in a defense plant in New York City, making plane parts to support the war effort. Read more.
Fort Indiantown Gap Finishes No. 1 In Nation For 2018:
Fort Indiantown Gap, run by the Pennsylvania National Guard and Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, finished first out of 48 National Guard training centers located throughout the continental U.S. and Puerto Rico with the most training mandays for fiscal year 2018. Read more.
DMVA Operates Six Long-Term Care Facilities Throughout The State:
You served us, now let us serve you! DMVA operates six long-term care facilities throughout the state open to veterans and their eligible spouses. Our Homes offer personal and skilled nursing care in a safe, secure and caring environment. Learn more today: Read more.
Around the State
CBS 21 Military Salutes Program:
Central ylvania's CBS 2l honors veterans with their "Military Salutes" program. Anyone who knows a veteran can honor them by submitting a photo and information about their service. CBS 2l will post their "Salute" to that veteran on their website and they'll be mentioned in their weekly "Military Salutes" on-air segment. Read more. If you have any questions you can contact Floyd Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact William Seiders at CBS 21 at email@example.com.
Friends Of The Medal Of Honor Grove Is Looking For Donations:
The Friends of the Medal of Honor Grove is looking for donations as part of its “Gem of the Grove” Matching Grant Challenge. Located on the campus of the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge in Phoenixville (Chester County), it is the oldest living memorial to honor our Medal of Honor Recipients in the nation. Details at: Read more.
Greencastle Assumes Ownership Of Veterans Memorial:
While the monument, erected in 2008 as a tribute to military members who paid the ultimate price, wasn’t technically owned by any entity, the Greencastle (Franklin County) Borough Council has finalized the paperwork to accept ownership. Read more.
Joy Riders Program Will Provide Bike Rides To People With Limited Mobility:
As soon as Karen Primm of Smithton (Westmoreland County) saw a video of an Australian man who designed a tandem bicycle with a wheelchair in the front for his disabled wife, she knew she needed to bring something similar to Pittsburgh. Read more.
Missing PA WWII Airman's Remains Discovered At Germany Crash Site:
U.S. Army Air Forces Sgt. Vernon L. Hamilton of Monongahela (Washington County) was serving as a gunner during World War II, aboard a light bomber plane, when it fell out of formation and turned over above Germany. Witnesses in the 409th Bombardment Group watched it nosedive, but they never saw it crash March 21, 1945. Read more.
Veteran Farmer Training with Rodale Institute:
The Veteran Farmer Training program with Rodale Institute in Kutztown, PA (Berks County), will prepare you for a successful career in organic agriculture. The Veteran Farmer Training Program is the perfect opportunity for transitioning veterans interested in organic farming. Transfer your military skills to new, rewarding challenges all while receiving a living stipend, housing, and fresh organic produce. Learn from experts in this two-four month program and expand your knowledge and network through field trips, workshops, and webinars. Details at: Website.
Worker Volunteers To Train Veteran's Service Dog:
Annette Polk of the Directorate of Public Works at Letterkenny Army Depot (Franklin County) has a passion for dogs and soldier support. When she found out she could volunteer to help service dogs in training for veterans, she was eager to get involved. Read more.
Across the Nation
‘All Veterans Have PTSD’ And Other Myths Debunked:
The way the public views veterans isn’t always accurate. Take the assumption that all veterans have served in combat and have post-traumatic stress disorder, for example. Or that people only go into the military because they can’t get into college. Those are just a couple of the “persistent, recycled myths” about veterans that Syracuse University researchers addressed during a session at the Student Veterans of America National Conference. Read more.
VA Wait Times For New Appointments Equal To Or Better Than Those In Private Sector:
A study, titled “Comparison of Wait Times for New Patients Between the Private Sector and United States Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers,” compared wait times between the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and private-sector clinicians in 15 major metropolitan areas for appointments in primary care, dermatology, cardiology and orthopedics. Website.
Application For Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund To Open:
The Farmer Veteran Coalition has announced the application for the 2019 Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund will open on Feb. 1, 2019. The application will remain open for five weeks before closing on March 8, 2019. The Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund is a small grant program that provides direct assistance to veterans who are in their beginning years of farming or ranching. Read more.
Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship:
Want to run your own dairy farm? The Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship is a National Apprenticeship registered with the U.S. Department of Labor-Employment and Training Administration. This innovative training program provides paid employment and comprehensive training in all aspects of owning and operating a managed-grazing dairy operation, and the experience needed to transition to farm ownership. DGA is a veterans friendly organization and accepts GI Bill™ and other veterans benefits. Read more.
Fewer Troops And Vets Are Using Education Benefits. Could That Change In 2019?:
One of the perks of serving in the military is being able to go to college on the government’s dime. But the number of service members and veterans taking advantage of key education benefits has dropped, according to the latest federal fiscal-year data available. The number of active-duty troops using tuition assistance benefits often hailed as a key military recruitment and retention tool has been declining in recent years, with all branches seeing drops in in fiscal 2017. Read more.
President Donald Trump Recently Signed Two Veterans Bills Into Law – Here’s How They’ll Affect You:
Congress passed a pair of bills aimed at improving education and other aspects of the transition from military service to civilian life. Now that President Donald Trump’s signature has made them law, here’s what they mean for veterans and military families. Read more.
VA Partners With CaringBridge:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that it has partnered with CaringBridge, a global nonprofit social network, to aid in veterans’ connection and communication with their support communities. Read more.
VA Partners With DHS To Expand Veteran Suicide Prevention Efforts:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) recently announced its partnership with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to bolster veteran suicide prevention initiatives. Read more.
VA To Implement Appeals Modernization In February:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Robert Wilkie will certify the department’s readiness to implement appeals modernization, which will transform a complex appeals process into one that is simple, timely and provides greater choice to veterans who disagree with a VA decision. Read more.
When Women Veterans Return Home:
Learning to let go of your active duty lifestyle can be tough, especially after returning home. Are you wondering how you fit in with your family, friends, and loved ones? Do you feel alone and isolated or that your relationships aren't as close as they used to be? If so, VA offers free and private services to help women veterans readjust to life at home. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov
Choose A Career As A VA Medical Center Director/Chief Executive Officer:
Those who lead the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as Medical Center directors/chief executive officers (CEO) make a dramatic and lasting difference in the lives of veterans and families enrolled in VA healthcare. VA is actively seeking candidates to fill open VAMC director and CEO positions at sites around the country. Read more.
Connecting Veterans To Long-Term Careers:
The U.S. Department of Labor launched a program to recognize employers that are committed not only to hiring veterans, but retaining them in meaningful, family-sustaining careers. Read more.
Governor Tom Wolf Announces Creation Of Nearly 80 New Jobs Through Expansion Of CorrChoice LLC:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that CorrChoice LLC, a producer of industrial corrugated paper packaging products, will expand in central Pennsylvania. The project, supported through state funding, is expected to create 79 jobs in Dauphin and Lebanon counties. Read more.
PA Labor & Industry Seeks Veterans Employment Representative 1:
Would you like to assist veterans in Pennsylvania with finding a good job or promising career? As a veterans’ employment representative 1, you will serve as a disabled veterans’ outreach program specialist (DVOP) in a PA CareerLink career center. You will provide employment services to disabled veterans as well as veterans facing significant barriers to employment. Apply today at: Website.
PepsiCo Employment Opportunities:
PepsiCo would love the opportunity to hear more about you and how you can bring so much to the table drawing from your military experience. Search for opportunities across PA by visiting the PA CareerLink Website.
Superior Home Care Is Hiring:
Superior Home Care values compassion and commitment to excellent care. The same ethics developed during military service and training are also important qualities for the Superior Home Care teams. Superior Home Care covers Allegheny, Washington, Westmoreland, Fayette, and Greene counties. Go to PA CareerLink Website and search “Superior Home Care” to apply. Be sure to self-identify as a veteran.
Susquehanna Valley EMS Starts Paid Training Program For EMTs:
Susquehanna Valley EMS (Lancaster County) announced that applications are open for its first "EMT Recruit Academy." Participants will be paid to attend classes and work shifts on a rigorous six-week schedule. After completing the course, they'll be eligible to become a certified EMT and work for Susquehanna Valley EMS. Read more.
Travis Manion Foundation Is Hiring:
Travis Manion Foundation is hiring a qualified service member or veteran as a northeast regional manager and northeast regional program intern, to add to the Philadelphia based Northeast, Regional Team. Website.
Women And Minority Veterans Are Thriving In The Civilian Workforce:
Women veterans were employed at higher rates than their male counterparts in 2018, federal data shows. And it’s not just women. A military background also boosted the civilian job prospects for racial minorities that have historically had a harder time finding work. Read more.
Apply To Be A William Penn Fellow:
Are you a graduate student or a recent graduate with an advanced degree? Apply for the 2019 William Penn Fellowship and help make state government better for Pennsylvanians. Applications for this two-year, paid fellowship close on Jan. 30, 2019. Details at: Website.
Waste Management Hiring Diesel Mechanics And CDL Drivers In Bristol, PA:
- Jan. 31, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- 1224 Hayes Blvd., Bristol, PA (Bucks County)
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information
- CDL drivers are eligible for a $2,000 sign-on bonus and diesel mechanics are eligible for a $5,000 sign-on bonus.
Waste Management Hiring Diesel Mechanics And CDL Drivers In N. Huntingdon PA:
- Jan. 31, 2019, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- WM N. Huntingdon Hauling, 310 Ledger Rd., North Huntingdon PA (Westmoreland County)
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information
- Bonuses of up to $7,000 are being offered!
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to RA-VA-Newsletter@pa.gov and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Clean Sweep Of Indiantown Gap National Cemetery Of All Holiday Decorations:
- Jan. 26, 2019, 8 a.m.
- Meet at the PA Veterans Memorial Plaza located in the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery, Indiantown Gap Rd., Annville, PA (Lebanon County)
- Point of contact: Brian Natali at 717-861-9418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The purpose of this work event is to remove all of the decorations at one time and maximize the volunteer effort. Small dump trucks (1 Ton) and small trailers (8X16) are in need. It is anticipated that this work event should take three to four hours. Parking will be limited at the lot above the Memorial. If volunteers park along the road please keep to the right and park as far to the right as possible while staying off the grass. Trucks and equipment will need to be able to get through the narrow roads of the cemetery.
Winter Fly Fishing Program:
- Saturdays, Jan. 26, Feb. 2, 9, 16, 23 and March 2 and 9, 2019, 1-3:15 p.m.
- South Hills School of Business & Technology, 480 Waupelani Dr., State College, PA (Centre County)
- Point of contact: email Dan Kerstetter at email@example.com or Jim Lanning at firstname.lastname@example.org to register
- This program will include an introduction to all the aspects of fly fishing. All equipment and supplies will be provided for the beginners. Classes are open to all who are interested.
- Facebook event.
Veterans Breakfast And Pinning Ceremony:
- Jan. 26, 2019, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Aldersgate Church, 1480 Jerusalem Rd., Mechanicsburg, PA (Cumberland County)
- R.S.V.P. to email@example.com or call Jeff Hawks at 717-258-1102
- FREE breakfast! The program includes a Department of Defense issued Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemorative pinning ceremony to any United States veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during Nov. 1, 1955 to May 15, 1975.
Second Chance Expo:
- Feb. 2, 2019, noon-4 p.m.
- Boys & Girls Club, 1227 Berryhill St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)
- Register for this event at PA House Website or call the office at 717-772-3570.
- Career fair noon-4 p.m.; expungement seminar 1 p.m.; credit repair, 1:30 p.m.; driver license restoration seminar, 2 p.m.
Cambria County Veteran Services Town Hall Meeting:
- Feb. 5, 2019, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Ebensburg Senior Center, 209 N. Julian St., Ebensburg, PA (Cambria County)
- Informing veterans and their families about the services Cambria County Veterans Services provides, possible benefits they are entitled to, and answering your questions.
- Facebook event.
12th Annual Homeless Veteran Stand Down:
- Feb. 15-17, 2019
- Harrisburg Military Post, 1400 Calder St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County). Monetary donations and gift cards can be mailed to Dave Gyger, 111 Cameron Ave., Hummelstown, PA (Dauphin County) 17036
- Point of contact: call Dave Gyger at 717-991-1473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Open to all homeless and at risk veterans. Services being provided by Veterans of Foreign Wars and YWCA, include: employment assistance; claims filing; transportation advocacy; legal services; hygiene items and showers; haircuts; clothing; medical exams; prevention services; housing services; benefits enrollment, and more.