Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
DMVA Still Looking For Photo Of Pennsylvania Veteran Who Paid Ultimate Sacrifice In Vietnam:
To further honor and preserve the memory of our veterans for future generations, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in Washington, D.C. is leading an initiative to locate a photo for every U.S. service member who died during Vietnam. Please help find the last photo. The photo is of Pennsylvania Air Force veteran Matthew N. Harris of Philadelphia County who died on May 5, 1965 in the Province of Gia Dinh. For information on how to submit this photo, Read more.
DMVA To Co-Sponsor “Making $ense Of Finance” To Educate And Protect Members Of Military And Veterans:
One in three victims of investment fraud in the U.S. are military veterans, according to AARP. A free program hosted in Philadelphia by the Pennsylvania Military Finance Alliance will help to increase their financial awareness and protect the assets of members of the military, veterans and their families. “Making $ense of Finance” will take place on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019, at the Chapel of Four Chaplains, The Navy Yard in Philadelphia from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Read more.
Now Accepting Veterans Day Event Submissions:
In recognition of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11, the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is compiling a list of Veterans Day events around the state. Community organizers statewide are encouraged to submit event information to DMVA by Oct. 28, 2019, to be included in our weekly DMVA Digest. To submit an upcoming veteran or military-oriented event being held in Pennsylvania, please email [email protected] with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.).
PA National Guard Hosts Eighth Annual March For The Fallen:
Approximately 700 participants gathered for the eighth annual March for the Fallen Sept. 28, 2019 at Fort Indiantown Gap. Read more.
Pennsylvania National Guardsman To Represent Entire Guard At National Competition:
Staff Sgt. Erich Friedlein isn’t just competing for himself, or Pennsylvania for that matter. He is representing the entire National Guard at the All Army Best Warrior Competition. He works as an infantry advance leader instructor for the 166th Regiment Regional Training Institution at Fort Indiantown Gap. Fort Indiantown Gap National Training Center is operated by DMVA and the Pennsylvania National Guard.
Around the State
BrightView Enhances Landscape Of Veterans Memorial Park:
Veterans Memorial Park in Pottstown, PA (Montgomery County), is being revitalized thanks to the work of BrightView, Plymouth Meeting, and other local businesses. BrightView proudly donated landscape services to the memorial park, including mulching, weeding and general improvements to the grounds. Read more.
Department Of Aging Warns Seniors Of Genetic Testing Scam:
The Department of Aging is warning Pennsylvania seniors, their families, and caregivers about a new scam targeting older adults. DNA testing has become extremely popular in the past few years for people looking to learn more about their family history and health, and scammers are now targeting Medicare beneficiaries with a fraudulent DNA testing service. Read more.
Elected Officials Celebrate Women Veterans, Military Families:
Recently the rotunda in St. Joseph Hall, Chestnut Hill College, Philadelphia, overflowed with women veterans, active service members, and the words of a number of elected officials, including those of two presidential candidates, for an event dedicated to assisting and empowering female service members. Read more.
Fly Fishing Program Offers Veterans Peace, Recovery:
As the group of anglers cast lines into the water, their focus wasn’t on the day’s catch. They were more concerned with developing friendships and bolstering their recovery. There was a common refrain around the pond: “This program saved my life.” Project Healing Waters is a Fredericksburg area (Lebanon County), therapeutic fly-fishing program that helps in the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active-duty military service members and veterans. Read more.
Hulmeville (Bucks County) To Dedicate Street In Honor Of Native Son Killed In Vietnam:
A street in Hulmeville Borough was officially dedicated on Sept. 29 in honor of Sgt. James E. Boorman, a native son who was killed in action during the Vietnam War. Members of the community – including Vietnam veterans, residents, local officials and members of the Pennsylvania Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund were invited to gather to pay homage to Boorman who was 20 years old when he was killed in the Tay Ninh Province in South Vietnam. Read more.
SCI Mercer Inmates To Train Dogs For Veterans:
Dustin Schneider lost more than just his military career when he was wounded during his fifth tour of duty in the Middle East. He also lost his support group, or as he puts it, his “village” of like-minded individuals who understand what it means to be a U.S. service member. Read more.
Veteran Couple Receives Tractor To Work:
Life for veterans Brion and Alicia McClintock has gotten easier thanks to their new tractor. The Gardners, PA (Adams County) couple received a free tractor as part of Kubota’s “Geared to Give” program. Veterans who turn to farming after serving are eligible for the program. Read more.
World War II Soldier Brought Home to Lycoming County:
After 75 years, 25-year-old Army private James Trick has finally returned home. The soldier was laid to rest in his hometown of Hughesville. Read more.
Across the Nation
‘Unclaimed’ Florida Veteran’s Obituary Goes Viral, Drawing Attendees For Funeral:
Edward Pearson's obituary, which appeared in the Naples Daily News, captured the attention of local veterans' organizations who felt that the 80 year old's burial should not take place without people honoring him. Read more.
American Red Cross Military & Veteran Caregiver Network Offers Peer Support And Robust Resource Library:
American Red Cross Military and Veteran Caregiver Network’s mission is to provide military and veteran caregivers with peer support. This support reduces their isolation and increases their sense of connectedness, engagement, hopefulness, wellness, as well as their knowledge and skills. Read more.
Honoring The Employers Who Hire Our Nation’s Heroes:
The Department of Labor’s HIRE Vets Medallion Program recognizes employers for their efforts to recruit, employ, and retain our nation’s veterans. Additionally, the HIRE Vets Medallion Award is the only federal-level veterans’ employment award that recognizes a company or organization’s commitment to veteran hiring, retention, and professional development. Read more.
Veterans Affairs Clinics Nationwide Ban Smoking At Facilities:
All U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical centers and community clinics nationwide, will implement a policy eliminating smoking while on the grounds of VA health care facilities. VA official said there is growing evidence that smoking and exposure to smoke creates significant medical risks for patients’ health and welfare, as well as their safety. Read more.
Veterans Benefits Will See A Cost-Of-Living Bump This Year, But How Much?:
Veterans will see a cost-of-living increase in their benefits payouts later this year, but it likely won’t be as big as the last one they received. Read more.
When In Doubt, Lash Out’ – The 82nd Airborne’s Crossing Of The Waal River, 75 Years Later:
Col. John Frost and the men of the British 1st Airborne Division were isolated. Their hold at the Arnhem bridge was tenuous at best, a need for reinforcements becoming clearer by the hour as the toll of relentless German assaults mounted. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Join CONVOYER And Explore A New, Unique Lifestyle Of Continued Service:
CONVOYER was founded by three Marine Officers who served as Convoy Commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan. These young officers left active duty to attend law school and business school which led to careers in New York where they eventually re-connected. Working long hours and traveling for business, they no longer had the time to travel with and escort family members to-and-from important life events as they had previously done. CONVOYER is a network of military veterans that provides trusted travel accompaniment services. Read more.
L&I Tours Zippo Manufacturing Company, Announces New Machinists Apprenticeship (McKean County):
Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) announced a new registered apprenticeship program for machinists in McKean County during a tour of Zippo Manufacturing Company in Bradford. The apprenticeship will prepare workers for new jobs in the manufacturing industry in the region. Read more.
Rabbit Transit Wants Vets:
Do you have a heart for service? Rabbit transit is seeking dedicated drivers. Whether it’s a ride to work, to the doctor, to the grocery store or to a senior center, our drivers make a difference in the lives of passengers every day. Apply.
U.S. Army Corps Of Engineers Veterans Curation Program Now Hiring:
The Veterans Curation Program (VCP) is a paid five-month employment and training initiative by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Veterans receive education about archaeological processing, and personal growth and development assistance, including time and instruction for resume building and job searches. Furthermore, VCP provides veterans a bridging transition into the public sector, and its teams process at-risk archaeological collections belonging to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Read more.
DMVA Has Immediate Job Opening For Automotive Mechanic:
The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is looking for an automotive mechanic to maintain and repair automotive equipment and various grounds keeping equipment at the Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home (Blair County). If you are skilled in mechanical trades and enjoy steady, daily activity. apply today!
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
The U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Pittsburgh Fisher House Open House:
- Oct. 3, 2019, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.- VA Pittsburgh Fisher House, University Drive Campus, Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Any questions, please contact Sheila Tunney at 412-360-1479 or email [email protected].- The Pittsburgh Fisher House is a 10-bedroom "home away from home" and provides a place for visiting families to stay, free of charge, while their loved ones receive inpatient medical care at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System.- Read more.
2019 Stand Down Pittsburgh:
- Oct. 5, 2019, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.- 2934 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information call 412-481-8200 or email [email protected] - FREE services for veterans include breakfast, lunch, food pantry, haircuts, hot showers, clothing, personal hygiene and care items, legal assistance, ID cards, eye care, general health care, flu shots, access to veteran benefits and eligibility, vocational, employment, education resources, counseling referrals and more! Transportation and parking available. Facebook page.
Inaugural Mini-Stand Down:
- Oct. 5, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon, rain or shine- Douglas (Montco) Municipal Park, (Montgomery County)- To donate your time or any personal items, please contact the Veterans Coalition at 610-372-8267 or email [email protected] - Bring your DD214 or VA ID. Clothing, hot meal and more being provided for free.- Read more.
3rd Annual Veterans Appreciation Picnic:
- Oct. 5, 2019, 1-7 p.m.- Chester W. Terchon VFW Post 5542, 1315 Hardy St., Levittown, PA (Bucks County)- Please R.S.V.P. to [email protected] - BBQ style food, soft drinks, beer and deserts will be provided. In addition, there will be live music. Join for a fun filled day in honor of our vets!
- Oct. 9 and 16, 2019, 3-5 p.m.- Country Club of Harrisburg, 401 Fishing Creek Valley Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Website. - Register.
- Oct. 9, 2019, 4:30-6:30 p.m.- Bensalem Township Country Club, 2000 Brown Ave., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Register. - Website.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Indiana County:
- October 10-13, 2019- Mack Park Fairgrounds, 803 Hospital Rd., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)- For more information, call the American Legion at 724-465-2326.- The Wall That Heals honors over 58,000 service members who lost their lives defending the country during the Vietnam war. The Northern Appalachian Folk Festival, Inc. and The American Legion Post 141 are proud to bring this exhibit to Indiana, PA.- Website.
United States Navy Band Commodores 2019 National Tour:
- Oct. 17-Nov. 7, 2019- Seven locations throughout PA- Point of contact: Navy Band general information line, 202-433-3366 or email [email protected] - Jazz is America’s music and the U.S. Navy Band Commodores, the Navy’s premier jazz ensemble, have been performing the very best of big band jazz for the Navy and the nation for over 40 years.- Read more.
Making $ense Of Finance:
- Oct. 19, 2019, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.- Chapel of Four Chaplains, 1201 Constitution Ave., The Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- For more information about the conference, call 1-800-PA-Banks or email [email protected] - One in three victims of investment fraud in the U.S. are military veterans, according to AARP. A free program hosted in Philadelphia by the Pennsylvania Military Finance Alliance will help to increase their financial awareness and protect the assets of members of the military, veterans and their families. Space is limited and registration is required.- Read more.
- Third Saturday of every month, the next one is Oct. 19, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon- City Park, Lower Parking Lot, Reading, PA (Berks County)- Help veterans who gave so much for all of us! Please bring your DD214 and VA ID. Clothing, a hot meal and more will be provided.- Website.
Free Wrist And Hand Evaluations And Surgery For Veterans In Lehigh Valley, Berks And Carbon Counties:
- Nov. 2, 2019, and Dec. 7, 2019, with surgery for those requiring it Jan. 25, 2020- OAA Orthopaedic Specialists, 250 Cetronia Rd., 2nd floor, Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- Register by calling Keri Freyman at 610-973-6464 or email [email protected] - Facebook event.
State Rep. Tom Mehaffie – 2019 Veterans Breakfast:
- Nov. 8, 2019, 8-10 a.m.- Lower Swatara Fire Department, 1350 Fulling Mill Rd., Middletown, PA (Dauphin County)- R.S.V.P. by calling Rep. Mehaffie's office at 717-534-1323 by Oct. 28, 2019- Read more.
Veterans Benefit Expo:
- Nov. 8, 2019, 2-8 p.m., opening ceremony 1:45 p.m.- Park-East Racetrack Bldg., 3001 Street Rd., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- Over 50 exhibit tables and three breakfast sessions. Admission is free and the event is open to all veterans, spouses, widows and children living in the Delaware Valley.- Read more.