Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Of local interest
Navy Commodores Jazz Concert Oct. 23rd in Greensburg
7:30 pm, Hempfield Area High School, 4345 Rt. 136, Greensburg, PA 15601
For FREE tickets, contact Brian Tychinski at (724) 850-2071 or [email protected]
Jeannette Native Works On Advanced Navy Helicopter:
When Jeannette (Westmoreland County) native Mia Harshbarger joined the Navy, she didn’t know she would be working on one of the branch’s most advanced helicopters. But three years into her career, the 2015 Jeannette High School graduate helps maintain the MH-60R “Seahawk” helicopter and she has earned rank and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal. Read more.
DMVA Substance Use Disorder Awareness Campaign Supports Statewide Initiative:
The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) recently launched a multi-faceted media campaign to make veterans with a substance use disorder, and their loved ones, aware that help is available. The campaign is in support of the Wolf Administration’s statewide Opioid Command Center and Get Help Now initiatives to get help for residents suffering from the disease of opioid-use disorder. Read more.
Job Fair At DMVA's Southeastern Veterans' Center (Chester County):
Come in and apply for a rewarding career providing services and assistance to senior and disabled military veterans. On Thursday, Sept. 26 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 4-7 p.m. at the Southeastern Veterans' Center in Spring City (Chester County). SEVC is seeking to fill various career opportunities that will enhance the lives of people who fought for our freedom. As a Pennsylvania State Employee, you will embark on a rewarding career that will make a difference caring for America’s veterans. Read more.
Now Accepting Veterans Day Event Submissions:
In recognition of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11, the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is compiling a list of Veterans Day events around the state. Community organizers statewide are encouraged to submit event information to DMVA by Oct. 28, 2019, to be included in our weekly DMVA Digest. To submit an upcoming veteran or military-oriented event being held in Pennsylvania, please email [email protected] with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.).
Around the State
Bronze Star Pinned On WWII Veteran From Allentown 74 Years After Epic Tank Duel:
World War II gunner Clarence Smoyer, whose heroism in an epic tank duel was enshrined on film, believed for 74 years he missed his shot at the Bronze Star over chewing gum. Children in the ruins of the German city of Cologne, just days after the battle there, had beseeched the 21-year-old corporal for “Kaugummi." After Smoyer turned his pockets inside out to show them he had no gum, military police pulled up and accused him of fraternizing with the enemy. Read more.
New Memorial Salutes Locals Who Served In Vietnam:
A solemn yet celebratory mood descended upon Cascade Park recently as Lawrence County dedicated a new memorial to honor local residents who served in Vietnam. Read more.
POWs And MIAs Honored At Cambria County War Memorial:
Recently across the U.S., community members came together to remember veterans who were prisoners of war or still missing in action. In Cambria County, dozens gathered to honor those who are still missing locally. Read more.
Thomas Crago – Remembering Carmichaels Native (Greene County), First VFW Commander:
Congress chartered the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States in 1936, but the beginning of the organization dates back even earlier. According to VFW Post 12024’s website, based in Texas, veterans of the Spanish-American and the Philippine Wars organized the American Veterans of Foreign Service in Ohio and the National Society of the Army of the Philippines in Colorado to support veterans. Read more.
Thousands Of Voters Use New Online Absentee Ballot Application In First Week:
Governor Tom Wolf announced recently that Pennsylvania’s newest voting innovation, online absentee ballot applications at votesPA.com/ApplyAbsentee, is a resounding success, with nearly 4,300 voters using the system in the first week. Read more.
Across the Nation
All-Woman Honor Flight From Philly Tours D.C.:
A group of women veterans from Philadelphia made history recently as they became the first all-woman, all-wars Honor Flight from Pennsylvania to visit Washington, D.C. “I’ve really missed the camaraderie,” said Eileen Richards, who served in the Navy from 1982 to 1986. “I’ve been out for almost 40 years and when we got on the bus, it was immediate with these guys.” Read more.
AMVETS Plans Massive Memorial Day Motorcycle Rally To Replace Rolling Thunder’s Ride:
AMVETS officials will sponsor a three-day, motorcycle-themed demonstration rally in Washington, D.C. next Memorial Day weekend to replace the annual Rolling Thunder celebration that annually draws tens of thousands to the nation’s capital. Read more.
Suicide Prevention – A Marine Veteran’s Story:
Jason Mosel was a tough, smart Marine. This summer, he took the stage to talk about his struggles with survivor’s guilt, which led to drinking and thinking about suicide. His is one of many success stories the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is sharing this September for Suicide Prevention Month. Read more.
Veteran Suicides Increase Despite Host Of Prevention, Mental Health Efforts:
Veterans suicides rose in 2017 despite concerted efforts in recent years from federal officials and lawmakers to address mental health and emergency intervention services within the military community. Read more.
Walk-In Flu Clinic Protects Veterans, Employees, Against Seasonal Influenza Virus:
Flu shots are important. Just ask U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) North Texas patient and U.S. Army veteran, Curtis Thiede. He was among the very first people in line recently at Dallas VA Medical Center’s flu clinic. “I didn’t get the flu shot a few years ago and I ended up getting the flu and it hit me hard,” said Thiede “I was out for three weeks. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Apply Your Health Technology Skills To A Career Working For Veterans:
Get ready to combine service and skills in a Healthcare Technology Management (HTM) career at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA): Join the virtual HTM career fair Sept. 18, from 2-3 p.m. ET. “Whether you’re serving as a biomedical engineer, equipment support specialist or administrative officer, everything you do furthers the goal of improving veterans’ health and safety and the stewardship of resources they count on to feel better, faster,” said Darren Sherrard, associate director of Recruitment Marketing at VA. Read more.
DMVA Has Immediate Job Opening For Mechanical Engineer Consultant:
Serves as the Mechanical Engineer responsible for the technical development of mechanical design solutions and facility programs supporting the PA National Guard and Office of Veterans' Affairs. The employee is responsible for developing guidelines and procedures for plumbing and fire protection design, facility operations and maintenance plans, building commissioning, building management systems, and energy management to reduce operation and maintenance (O&M) costs, conserve water, and promote a desirable working environment Read more.
Governor Wolf Announces Expansion Of Cosmetics Manufacturer Seokoh, Creation Of Nearly 300 New PA Jobs:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Seokoh, Inc., a manufacturer of cosmetics and personal care products, will expand its operations in Scott Township, Lackawanna County, and support the creation of 280 new jobs. Read more.
Governor Wolf Supports New Training Program For Future PA Ironworkers:
Governor Tom Wolf announced the approval of new funding for the Iron Worker Apprenticeship Workforce Expansion Project, a program proposed by the Ironworkers Joint Apprenticeship and Journeyman Training Fund to provide opportunities for young men and women to begin careers as ironworkers. Read more.
How Amazon Is Tackling The Veteran Unemployment Problem:
By 2021, Amazon has pledged to hire 25,000 U.S. military veterans across all of its operations. More than that, they are also dedicated to hiring veterans reservists, spouses, and family members – regardless of rank or military specialty. Read more.
Job Fair At DMVA's Southeastern Veterans' Center:
- Sept. 26, 2019, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 4-7 p.m.- Southeastern Veterans' Center, One Veteran's Dr., Spring City (Chester County)- If you have questions, call 610-948-2400- Come in and apply for a rewarding career providing services and assistance to military veterans. The Southeastern Veterans' Center is seeking to fill various career opportunities that will enhance the lives of people who fought for our freedom. As a Pennsylvania state employee, you will embark on a rewarding career that will make a difference caring for America’s veterans.- Read more.
Learn About VA Careers At Our Next Virtual Event:
How can you learn more about VA’s hiring process, culture and careers before officially throwing your hat into the ring? Consider talking to a recruiter at the next VA virtual career fair. Read more.
Military Funeral Honors State Coordinator:
Management Support Technology, Inc. (MSTI) is seeking qualified individuals to serve as a military funeral honors (MFH) coordinator in support of a national contract for the Army National Guard (ARNG). The MFH coordinator will be responsible for coordinating and assisting in the planning and development of statewide operations for the MFH program. Interested parties should register on the MSTI Website. Once on the website, click on “Careers” tab at the top of the page, and then click on the position desired. When you apply for this position, you will be asked to register in ‘ADP Workforce Now’ by entering your email and a password (not character specific).
Military Times Launches Job Board For Veterans:
The Military Times has unveiled a new comprehensive job board that aims to connect veterans with thousands of job opportunities with employers seeking to hire people with military experience. The new online job board offers employers from around the country an opportunity to target veterans and service members who are planning to return to the civilian job market. Read more.
Rabbit Transit Wants Vets:
Do you have a heart for service? Rabbit transit is seeking dedicated drivers. Whether it’s a ride to work, to the doctor, to the grocery store or to a senior center, our drivers make a difference in the lives of passengers every day. Apply.
Veterans Employment Representative 2 - Allegheny County:
As a Veterans' Employment Representative 2, you will serve as a local veterans' employment representative (LVER) in a PA CareerLink® career center. You will conduct outreach to employers and business associations and engage in advocacy efforts to increase employment opportunities for veterans. Apply today!
Veterans Job Fair:
- Oct. 3, 2019, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.- Heinz Field, 100 Art Rooney Ave., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- A FREE hiring event for veterans, transitioning military personnel, National Guard members, Reserve members and spouses.- Register.
Veterans Services Officer Supervisor - Lebanon County:
The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) is looking for someone to help veterans understand what benefits are available to them. DMVA offers competitive compensation and benefits and a team and veteran focused environment. Join in serving those who have served! Come join the DMVA team, Apply today!
Waste Management Is Hiring CDL Drivers And Diesel Mechanics:
- Every Thursday, beginning Sept. 26, 2019, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.- 165 Rosencranse Rd., Beach Lake, PA (Wayne County)- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: For CDL Drivers Valid CDL A or B with Air Brakes endorsement. One Year of CDL driving experience or equivalent military driving experience in the last seven years. For Technicians, four years relevant work experience and a driver’s license with a clean driving record. Sign on bonus: $7,500 for CDL drivers and up to $5,000 for technicians. Waste Management has been recognized as best employer of veterans, by G.I. Jobs Top 100 and CivilianJobs.com.- Apply.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
- Sept. 25, Oct. 2 and 9, 2019, 4:30-6:30 p.m.- Bensalem Township Country Club, 2000 Brown Ave., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Register. - Website.
- Third Saturday of every month, the next one is Oct. 19, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon- City Park, Lower Parking Lot, Reading, PA (Berks County)- Help veterans who gave so much for all of us! Please bring your DD214 and VA ID. Clothing, a hot meal and more will be provided.- Website.
Veteran Outreach And Suicide Prevention Program:
- Sept. 26, 2019, Noon-1 p.m.- Lancaster VET Center, 1817 Olde Homestead Lane, Suite 207, Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County)- Any questions contact Charlotte Leckow at 717-397-7461- An overview of the services offered at the Lancaster and Lebanon Veteran Centers. The option of Mental Health America's free guidance and support available to help navigate you (or a family member) through the mental health system locally. How to access local support services, as well as crisis intervention teams, who work within the county. Bring a lunch, colleague, friend or family member. All ages welcome.
Women Veterans Health & Wellness Expo:
- Sept. 27, 2019, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.- 2525 W. 38th St., Erie, PA (Erie County)- Please R.S.V.P. to Nadean Sitter at 814-860-2907 or email [email protected] - The Erie VA Medical Center invites you to attend the Women Veterans Health and Wellness Expo. Find information on pertinent health information, demonstrations, and browse vendors. This event is FREE.
March For The Fallen:
- Sept. 28, 2019, 6 a.m. opening ceremony, 7 a.m. Start 28-mile and 14-mile marches, 7:30 a.m. start 28-mile hand cycle, 9 a.m. start 5K run/walk- Strickler Field, Ft. Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: CSM Michael Chirdon, at 717-639-5580 or [email protected] - The March for the Fallen is an annual event at Fort Indiantown Gap that offers a wide range of choices for every experience level to enjoy and/or compete! The 14 and 28-mile Trail Races offer spectacular views and challenging terrain. Compete as an individual or in a team or just register and participate for fun. The choice is yours!- Register.
Blood Sweat Cheer Festival:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.- Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association, 4599 W. Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA (Delaware County)- Blood Sweat Cheer festival is a family-friendly event filled with fitness, live music, kids activities, great food, and a variety of local vendors. The main goal of the festival is to raise funds for the Delaware County Veterans Memorial and its educational programs. Register and attend for the chance to win an all expenses paid vacation sponsored by Apple Vacations!- Facebook page.
Veterans In The Valley Open House:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.- Black Valley Farm, 9048 Black Valley Rd., Everett, PA (Bedford County)- Any questions contact Alana Foor at 406-599-9797 or email [email protected] - A family day celebrating Pennsylvania agriculture and craftsmanship to benefit veterans in agribusiness and the Troops To Tractors internship program. Veterans interested in a future in agriculture are invited to attend the event to learn more. Please join for food trucks, children's activities, family fun, petting zoo, live music and educational presentations.
Veterans Resource Fair:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 1-5 p.m.- Duquesne University Charles J. Dougherty Ballroom, 600 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information call 412-781-2750- Connecting local veterans to services, organizations, and their elected officials. Come meet the staff from your district office and get information on services benefiting veterans.
PUCHOG Skate Night:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 4:15 p.m.- Twin Ponds, 3904 Corey Rd, Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- For more information please email John Jones at [email protected] - Players Using Competition to Help Others Grow (PUCHOG) will be hosting a Vet Skate for all veterans and active duty service members. It will be a free public skate for vets and their families. PUCHOG puts wounded veterans on the ice to play hockey as a means for physical, mental and emotional therapy. The team is always looking to add players, there is never a cost to the wounded vet and no experience is required. There is a standing team as well as a sled team.
- Oct. 2, 9 and 16, 2019, 3-5 p.m.- Country Club of Harrisburg, 401 Fishing Creek Valley Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Website. - Register.
The U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Pittsburgh Fisher House Open House:
- Oct. 3, 2019, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.- VA Pittsburgh Fisher House, University Drive Campus, Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Any questions, please contact Sheila Tunney at 412-360-1479 or email [email protected].- The Pittsburgh Fisher House is a 10-bedroom "home away from home" and provides a place for visiting families to stay, free of charge, while their loved ones receive inpatient medical care at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System.- Read more.
2019 Stand Down Pittsburgh:
- Oct. 5, 2019, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.- 2934 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information call 412-481-8200 or email [email protected] - FREE services for veterans include breakfast, lunch, food pantry, haircuts, hot showers, clothing, personal hygiene and care items, legal assistance, ID cards, eye care, general health care, flu shots, access to veteran benefits and eligibility, vocational, employment, education resources, counseling referrals and more! Transportation and parking available. Facebook page.
3rd Annual Veterans Appreciation Picnic:
- Oct. 5, 2019, 1-7 p.m.- Chester W. Terchon VFW Post 5542, 1315 Hardy St., Levittown, PA (Bucks County)- Please R.S.V.P. to [email protected] - BBQ style food, soft drinks, beer and deserts will be provided. In addition, there will be live music. Join for a fun filled day in honor of our vets!
The Wall That Heals Comes To Indiana County:
- October 10-13, 2019- Mack Park Fairgrounds, 803 Hospital Rd., Indiana, Pa. (Indiana County)- For more information, call the American Legion at 724-465-2326.- The Wall That Heals honors over 58,000 service members who lost their lives defending the country during the Vietnam war. The Northern Appalachian Folk Festival, Inc. and The American Legion Post 141 are proud to bring this exhibit to Indiana, PA.- Website.
United States Navy Band Commodores 2019 National Tour:
- Oct. 17-Nov. 7, 2019- Seven locations throughout PA- Point of contact: Navy Band general information line, 202-433-3366 or email [email protected] - Jazz is America’s music and the U.S. Navy Band Commodores, the Navy’s premier jazz ensemble, have been performing the very best of big band jazz for the Navy and the nation for over 40 years.- Read more.
Free Wrist And Hand Evaluations And Surgery For Our Veterans In Lehigh Valley, Berks And Carbon Counties:
- Nov. 2, 2019, and Dec. 7, 2019, with surgery for those requiring it Jan. 25, 2020- OAA Orthopaedic Specialists, 250 Cetronia Rd., 2nd floor, Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- Register by calling Keri Freyman at 610-973-6464 or email [email protected] - Facebook event.
State Rep. Tom Mehaffie – 2019 Veterans Breakfast:
- Nov. 8, 2019, 8-10 a.m.
- Lower Swatara Fire Department, 1350 Fulling Mill Rd., Middletown, PA (Dauphin County)
- R.S.V.P. by calling Rep. Mehaffie's office at 717-534-1323 by Oct. 28, 2019