Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
DMVA Events Calendar:
The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs events calendar is regularly updated all the time with upcoming events for PA military and veterans. Just visit the DMVA website and click on Events Calendar!
DMVA's Six Veterans Homes Are Accepting Applications For Residency:
Pennsylvania has six veterans homes located throughout the state and they are accepting applications for admission. DMVA's homes provide personal, skilled nursing and memory care to more than 1,300 veterans and their spouses in a caring, thoughtful and patriotic environment. Call DMVA’s Bureau of Veterans Homes at 717-861-8906 or visit: Read more.
The Governor's Advisory Council For Veterans Services (GAC-VS) Held Expo & Town Hall For Women Veterans:
Pennsylvania is home to the fourth-largest veteran population in the country. Female veterans, who account for roughly 8 percent of that population, were honored recently for their service. Dozens of community members gathered at the Wilkes-Barre VA Center (Luzerne County) for a women veterans town hall and expo. The goal? To honor women veterans for their service as well as update them on programs and services they may have earned. Read more.
Around the State
Banners Honoring Military Service Going Up In Pike County:
One hundred and fifty banners recognizing the service of local residents who have served in the military will be hung from utility poles in Pike County. Read more.
Camp Freedom Promotes Healing Through The Outdoors For Veterans, First Responders (Lackawanna County):
As the owners of Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays (LVSC), Bill Bachenberg and his wife, Laura, have regularly hosted sporting clays shoots for persons with disabilities. What they found over the years was that many of the participants also were interested in exploring the outdoors, but didn’t have the connections or resources. Read more.
Family First With The Advance 500 Scholarship:
Introducing the Advance 500 Scholarship from DeVry University, an award for dependents of qualifying Pennsylvania National Guard Association members that can make reaching family education goals more affordable than ever with 100 percent tuition savings. Read more.
For Many Veterans In Allegheny County, There's An Alternative Route Through The Justice System:
Pennsylvania has one of the largest veteran populations in the U.S., and a special court in Allegheny County has been providing them with an alternative route through the justice system. “Veterans were just going into any courtroom that their case was assigned to,” said Common Pleas Judge John A. Zottola. After hearing about a veteran court starting in Buffalo, N.Y., Zottola started planning. Read more.
Geistown VFW Post To Mark Centennial With Celebration (Cambria County):
Members of Geistown’s Veterans of Foreign Wars post are preparing to mark the 100th anniversary. George Kohan, senior vice commander of VFW Post 155, said that a representative of the Pennsylvania VFW headquarters in Harrisburg is expected to attend the event and to read a proclamation by the national organization honoring the Geistown post for its longevity. Read more.
Monument Planned To Honor Those Who Served In War On Terror:
Westmoreland County donated an acre of land, landscape architects and artists are being consulted, and all that the board needs now is to reach their goal of raising $350,000 to complete the Westmoreland County Veterans of the War on Terror Monument. “Our plans are to dedicate the monument on Sept. 11, 2021, exactly 20 years after the terror attack that started the war on terror,” said Col. (Ret.) Samuel F. Wagner, a U.S. Army Reserve veteran and president/founder of the nonprofit organization building the monument. Read more.
Penn State Harrisburg Dedicates Center To Battle Addiction:
Penn State Harrisburg has established the Douglas W. Pollock Center for Addiction Outreach and Research to address substance abuse across Pennsylvania and the nation. The center will specifically address two areas of the substance abuse problem within the region, one being veterans –providing targeted assistance to veterans of the U.S. military and their families who are facing addiction-related challenges. Read more.
PNG Comes To Aid of Carlisle Barracks Residents:
Pennsylvania National Guard soldiers and airmen assisted residents of U.S. Army Carlisle Barracks by supplying portable water Aug. 5 during the installation's water ban. The soldiers and airmen sanitized, filled, and delivered several M149 water trailers to the post. The trailers have 400-gallon stainless steel tanks and are used to supply water to soldiers in the field or while in conditions where running water is limited or unavailable. They are also known as 'water buffaloes'.
Smethport Legion Continues To Improve After 100 Years (McKean County):
Bucktail Post #138, Smethport American Legion will mark its 100th anniversary next year. In 1919 a group of veterans formed a committee to lay the groundwork for organizing an American Legion post. E. G. Potter was chairman. When the post was officially chartered the following year, Dr. William Ostrander served as the first commander. Read more.
Across the Nation
AMVETS Elects First Female National Commander:
AMVETS, one of the "Big Six" veterans service organizations, now has its first female national commander with the election of retired Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Jan Brown. Brown, a 27-year veteran who spent 15 years in recruiting, said, "I thank my AMVETS family for putting their confidence in me to lead this organization. Read more.
Being Mom Comes First For Army Vet Paralympics Champ:
The alarm goes off early, like it always does. Melissa Stockwell has another busy day at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., where she’ll swim, run, bike and go through strength training for hours on end. Then, like most moms, it’s a rush to fit in as much family time with her husband and two children as possible. Read more.
Community Clinic Is Custom-Fit ‘Jewell’ For Prosthetic Patient:
As Army veteran Karl Milner walks into Jewell Clinic in Aurora, Colorado, front desk staff greet him and his service dog, Red, by their first names. Milner is checking in for a new prosthetic limb fitting. Read more.
Contingency Management To Help Veterans Stay Drug Free:
Are you struggling with sobriety? Are traditional treatment approaches no longer working for you? If so, contingency management (CM) might be the answer. CM is an evidence-based practice that promotes healthy behavior through positive reinforcement, such as giving rewards for abstaining from an unhealthy behavior. Read more.
Discount For Military Veterans Now Available For Travel On Amtrak:
Amtrak is offering customers who have served in the U.S. armed forces a new way to save on rail travel. A 10 percent discount for military veterans is now available. Amtrak is grateful to our nation’s military veterans for their commitment and sacrifices,” Amtrak President and CEO Richard Anderson said. “Traveling by train is an adventure, and we have sweetened the deal to offer this discount as a benefit to our veterans.” Read more.
Drivers Needed – DAV Is Looking For Volunteer Drivers To Transport Veterans:
Since 1987, DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Transportation Network volunteer drivers have logged 734.6 million miles, providing nearly 19 million no-cost rides for veterans to and from VA health care appointments. This program makes an incredible impact on veterans like 94-year-old Vincent Rolves, a former POW who served in WWII. Read more.
GI Bill Comparison Tool, A Powerful Ally:
Being first is good. So is being early. For veterans and service members, being first and early to sign up for the classes you want is possible thanks to priority enrollment offered at many colleges and universities. Read more.
Go Back To School With The GI Bill:
It’s that time again! VA education benefits help veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with needs like paying college tuition, finding the right school or training program, and getting career counseling. Learn how to apply for and manage the education and training benefits you've earned. Read more.
Million Veteran Program Sheds Light On PTSD Genes:
A VA Million Veteran Program study identified locations in the human genome related to the risk of re-experiencing traumatic memories, the most distinctive symptom of posttraumatic stress disorder. Read more.
Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance:
If you received a new disability rating the last two years you may be eligible for Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI). Zero percent ratings are considered new ratings and are eligible. However, increases to existing ratings are not and premiums may be waived in case of total disability. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Partners With National Guard To Provide On-Site Counseling During Training Weekends:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Department of Defense formalized a partnership between VA’s Vet Centers and the National Guard Bureau, to provide Vet Center counseling, outreach staff and other services to members during training or drill weekends. Read more.
Veterans Legacy Memorial To Honor Deceased Veterans Online:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), National Cemetery Administration (NCA) launched the Veterans Legacy Memorial (VLM), the country's first digital platform dedicated entirely to the preservation of the memory of the 3.7 million veterans interred in VA national cemeteries. Read more.
Your Time Is Valuable – Make The Most Of It:
In 2005, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) created My HealtheVet next to a coffee shop inside the Portland VA Medical Center. The small kiosk (and floppy disk drives) are long gone. However, the concept remains the same. Give veterans’ the opportunity to play an active role in their health care while saving them time in the process. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Governor Tom Wolf Announces Crown Cork Expansion, New Job Creation In York:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Crown Cork & Seal USA, Inc. (Crown), a manufacturer of metal food, beverage, and aerosol containers, will expand its manufacturing operation in Hanover Borough (York County). The project will support the combined creation and retention of 92 jobs in the area. Read more.
UPS Job Opportunities (Lackawanna County):
- The UPS facility in Throop is hiring a GBS Collections Associate.- 700 Keystone Industrial Park, Throop, PA 18512. This is a finance and accounting services location.- Any questions contact Jennifer Compton at 570-969-3394 or email [email protected] - All interested candidates must apply online at Website. Forwarded resumes will not be accepted. (Our vacancies are listed as a Scranton, PA location on the website).
Veterans Find New Careers, Opportunities, Through Operation (IN) Reach:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) North Texas Health Care System’s 182,000 enrolled patients have a myriad of needs, including finding and thriving in employment and career opportunities. VA North Texas’ community engagement team answered this need via its inaugural Operation (IN) Reach Career and Information fair, held recently. Read more.
U.S Border Patrol Recruitment Webinar:
- Sept. 4, 2019, 4-5 p.m.- Are you interested in a career as a U.S. Border Patrol Agent? Have you recently applied and wanted to learn more about the hiring process? Join a recruitment webinar to learn more! The event is free for participants.- To register for the event click Here.
PA Procurement Expo Job Fair:
- Sept. 5, 2019, 1-3 p.m.- PA Procurement Expo, Main Hall, Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- Email questions to [email protected] - Don’t miss this opportunity! The PA Procurement Expo is hosting a job fair with hundreds of employers on-site. Bring copies of your resume! Admission is FREE for job seekers. On-site registration is available.
FourBlock Veteran Career Readiness:
- Sep. 10-Nov. 19, 2019, Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m.- Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- For more information, email Eric Stetson at [email protected] - What makes FourBlock unique? FourBlock is shaping the future of veteran transition and veteran career readiness by inspiring veterans to achieve more after their military service. The community brings together top companies and high-potential veterans to foster better understanding of veterans in the nation’s leading employers and ensure that veterans are ready to pursue the best careers possible. This program is complimentary. Application is open to post-9/11 veterans, active duty, Reservists and National Guard who are pursuing or have obtained a bachelor's degree.- Register.
MEETUP Veteran Entrepreneurship:
- Sept. 11, 2019, 6:30-8:30 p.m.- LaunchBox at the GoogleWorks, 201 Washington St., Reading, PA (Berks County)- Join for refreshments, hor d’oeuvres and an informational session to help guide you on your entrepreneurial path as a veteran. The session will feature multiple veteran speakers including veteran small business owners.- Register.
Veterans’ Expo & Job Fair – Lebanon:
- Sept. 12, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Lebanon Expo Center, 80 Rocherty Rd., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Any questions please call 717-285-1350- Veterans’ Expo connects active and retired military members of all ages and their families with the benefits and resources available to them. Covering everything from home improvement, legal services, finance, retirement living and insurance. The job fair will also provide an opportunity for veterans and employers to meet face-to-face to discuss available positions. Workshops and seminars will be offered on relevant topics.- Website.
Workforce Innovation And Opportunity Act (WIOA) Is Offering A Training Opportunity Conducted By NuPaths:
- Sept. 18, 2019-April 23, 2020, classes are every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 6 pm-9 pm.- Training will take place at Harrisburg University (Dauphin County)- Point of contact: Mark Cole at 717-920-1908 or [email protected] - WIOA is offering a training opportunity cofounded by Harrisburg University for security operations center analyst and network technician. The program costs $7,000 if eligible for WIOA funding, they will use the $5,500 plus a NuPaths scholarship provided by PA Smart Funding. If you are not eligible for WIOA funding, you will be provided with a scholarship but may still be responsible for tuition cost of up to $1,750.00.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Carfest 2019 With Master Sergeant (Retired) Sean Clifton:
- Aug. 30, 2019, 7 p.m.- Pittsburgh International Race Complex, PittRace's on-site event center (Allegheny County)- Contact. - Join fellow auto enthusiasts for a night of delicious food, drinks, guest speaker, stories, awards, and door prizes! $33 per person. This includes a fully catered buffet dinner.- Learn more and register here.
- Sept. 4, 18, Oct. 2, 9 and 16, 2019, 3-5 p.m.- Country Club of Harrisburg, 401 Fishing Creek Valley Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Website. - Register.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Plymouth (Luzerne County):
- Sept. 5-8, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Wyoming Valley West Senior High School, 150 Wadham St., Plymouth, PA (Luzerne County)- The Wall That Heals mobile exhibit features a three-quarter scale replica of The Wall in Washington, D.C. The exterior sides of the trailer that carries The Wall That Heals open to become a mobile Education Center.- Website.
Prevent Suicide PA Fundraising Dinner:
- Sept. 6, 2019, 6:30-10 p.m.- Davio's Restaurant, 200 Main St., King of Prussia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Join for a night of good food and drinks. Learn about Prevent Suicide PA’s efforts to combat suicide in the commonwealth and what you can do to support this great cause. Join in on a basket raffle with prizes from local businesses and sports teams. Ticket purchase includes a buffet style meal including salads and hors d’oeuvres, penne with San Marzano tomato and basil, Davio’s famous meatballs, and a variety of desserts. The first two drinks are included with admission.- Tickets.
Pennsylvania Outdoor Veterans-Military Family Weekend:
- Sept. 6-8, 2019, check is anytime after 4 p.m. Deadline for registration is Sept. 1- 315 Simon Lane, Lock Haven, PA (Clinton County). Please note the last four miles is on a dirt road.- Point of Contact Name: Miranda Moyer at 610-390-0963 or email [email protected] - Pennsylvania Outdoor Veterans will be holding a military family weekend. This fun filled weekend is open to families, veterans and veteran couples.- Go to website and click on "Apply" tab and fill out form. Fill in "Event Apply for" -Ponderosa Lodge Weekend. Please attached DD214 and number of people going and any food allergies.
- Sept. 7, 2019, noon-2 p.m.- American Legion Robert Hoke, Post 272, 505 N. Mountain Rd., Linglestown, PA (Dauphin County)- R.S.V.P. by Sept. 2, 2019 to [email protected] - If you served in the United States Armed Forces and was discharged with an Other Than Honorable discharge, this event is for you! This event is a FREE luncheon with guest speakers to address veterans issues and challenges. Please bring a copy of your DD214.
Suicide Prevention Walk & Candlelight Vigil:
- Sept. 9, 2019, noon- Erie VAMC, 2nd floor pavilion, 135 E. 38th St., Erie, PA (Erie County)- For more information about suicide prevention, contact 814-860-2038- Join for a walk and candlelight vigil to remember those who have lost their lives to suicide.
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Mobile Service Office:
- Sept. 10, 2019, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.- American Legion Post 338, 2200 Grasslyn Ave., Havertown, PA (Delaware County)- Point of contact: Joseph Pinhak at 484-800-5582 or email [email protected] - The DAV MSO (Mobile Service Office) will be available on 9/10 at American Legion Post 338 in Havertown to provide information to any veteran who has questions about applying for service-based compensation/appeals due to service in wartime. This is free and available on a walk-in basis. Veterans do not need to be a member of the DAV or any other veteran’s organization to participate.
A 9/11 Remembrance And Patriot Day Recognition:
- Sept. 11, 2019, 10 a.m.- Erie VAMC, second floor conference rooms, 135 E. 38th St., Erie, PA (Erie County)- For more information about suicide prevention, call 814-860-2038- Suicide prevention coordinators will be available to provide emotional support during the remembrance & recognition event.
- Sept. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2 and 9, 2019, 4:30-6:30 p.m.- Bensalem Township Country Club, 2000 Brown Ave., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Register. - Website.
Lawrence County's 9th Annual Veterans Stand Down:
- Sept. 13, 2019, noon-3 p.m.- Cascade Park, 1928 E. Washington St., New Castle, PA (Lawrence County)- For more information please contact Jesse Putnam at 724-656-2172- Serving homeless veterans, service members, their families, community members and families in need. Free medical screenings, hygiene products, a light meal and multiple organizations with resource information and referrals will be available.
Building The Bridge:
- Sept. 13, 2019- Lebanon VA Medical Center, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Any questions, contact Christine Brubaker at 717-272-6621, ext. 5726 or email [email protected] - Building the Bridge recognizes that veteran-centered, recovery-oriented care requires both active and ongoing cooperation with veterans, caregivers, family members, community providers and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) providers. Please join for education, collaborative discussion and workgroup sessions to further develop, strengthen and sustain working relationships.
Walk With A Veteran:
- Sept. 19, 2019, starting at 9 a.m.- U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, 950 Soldiers Dr., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)- For more information or to R.S.V.P. please contact Jeff Hawks at 717-258-1102 or email [email protected]. Space is limited.- Veterans of all eras and services are invited to attend. Several hundred middle school students will attend to meet veterans and tour the center in small groups. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Pennsylvania's First All Female Veteran Call To Duty – Honor Flight Philadelphia:
- Sept. 21, 2019- Washington, D.C.- For trip details call 215-301-8890 or 215-954-5634 or email [email protected] - Honor Flight Philadelphia is currently looking for female veterans who would like to join a trip to Washington in a day of honor and recognition, to view the memorials dedicated to their service at no cost to the veteran.- Honor Flight Facebook page.
Blood Sweat Cheer Festival:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.- Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association In Newtown Square, 4599 W. Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA (Delaware County)- Blood Sweat Cheer festival is a family-friendly event filled with fitness, live music, kids activities, great food, and a variety of local vendors. The main goal of the festival is to raise funds for the Delaware County Veterans Memorial and its educational programs. Register and attend for the chance to win an all expenses paid vacation sponsored by Apple Vacations!- Facebook page.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Indiana County:
- October 10-13, 2019- Mack Park Fairgrounds, 803 Hospital Rd., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)- For more information, call the American Legion at 724-465-2326.- The Wall That Heals honors over 58,000 service members who lost their lives defending the country during the Vietnam war. The Northern Appalachian Folk Festival, Inc. and The American Legion Post 141 are proud to bring this exhibit to Indiana, PA.- Website.