Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
VA modifies smoke-free policies at health care facilities to include workers
As part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) commitment to a smoke-free health care environment for Veterans, in October, the department will extend its smoke-free policies to include employees at its health care facilities. More...
Credit Union Journal – Helping Veterans:
Philadelphia Federal Credit Union of Philadelphia donated $2,500 to the Delaware Valley Veterans' Home, a veterans home operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. Read more.
DMVA Still Looking For Three Photos Of Pennsylvania Veterans Who Paid Ultimate Sacrifice In Vietnam:
To further honor and preserve the memory of our veterans for future generations, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in Washington, D.C. is leading an initiative to locate a photo for every U.S. service member who died during Vietnam. Please help find the remaining three photos from Philadelphia County. For information on how to submit a photo Read more.
DMVA's Military Family Relief Assistance Program:
The Military Family Relief Assistance Program is offered through the DMVA and provides financial assistance to eligible PA service members and eligible family who have an immediate financial need due to circumstances beyond their control. Call toll free, 1-866-292-7201 or visit Website.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo Slated For Aug. 24 In Wilkes-Barre:
Led by the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Women Veterans Committee of the Governor’s Advisory Council for Veterans Services (GAC-VS) will host a Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo to honor women veterans for their service and also update them on programs and services they may have earned. The FREE event will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24, from 9 a.m.-noon at the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. For more information call Crystal A. Petery at 717-861-6904 or email [email protected]. Read more.
Around the State
'Operation Hurricane' Rescue Simulation Conducted Along Susquehanna River:
The Pennsylvania Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team (PA-HART) led "Operation Hurricane," a full-scale training exercise involving state and local swiftwater rescue and medical teams. Simulated search and rescue missions involving several aircraft were conducted along the Susquehanna River, with an incident command area staged at Fort Hunter Park. Read more.
Berwyn Company Launches Veteran-Honoring Initiative (Chester County):
A Berwyn-based junk removal and hauling company has kicked off its first national awareness campaign to honor the fallen servicemen and women. The JDog Foundation, the charitable arm of Berwyn's JDog Junk Removal & Hauling, launched the campaign with the Baugher Initiative, which was inspired by Marine Corps Veteran and JDog franchise owner Rob Baugher. Read more.
Cheers & Jeers:
Cheers to the Perry Township (Berks County) supervisors who were instrumental in bringing a Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall to the area. Supervisors obtained an $8,500 tourism grant and then budgeted the remainder of the funding needed to bring the traveling memorial to Perryopolis. Read more.
Deadline Ahead For Vietnam Commemorative Pins (Montgomery County):
Lapel pins available for U.S. veterans, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War, will be distributed Sept. 28 by Rep. Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania’s 4th Congressional District during Pottstown’s annual Veterans’ Community Day event. Read more.
Making A Difference – Disabled Veteran Helps Others Find Food:
“I had five acres of land and I began saying, ‘Lord, what do you want me to do with this land?”, said Timothy Wallace of Milk and Honey Farms. Fourth Generation Army veteran Timothy Wallace returned from the service to his family farm in Lower Paxton Township (Dauphin County) seeking guidance to simultaneously recoup from his time in the military while also helping others who lent their lives to service. Read more.
Retired Wilkes-Barre Area HS Football Helmets Will Be Auctioned To Benefit Veterans (Luzerne County):
The Wilkes-Barre Area School District will be auctioning off helmets from its now-defunct football teams to benefit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center. During home football games this season, the newly unified Wilkes-Barre Area Wolfpack will be selling tickets for chances to win a helmet from each of the district’s former football teams, each some of the last of such helmets in existence. Read more.
Across the Nation
France Honors Allied Veterans Of World War II Landings:
French President Emmanuel Macron is celebrating U.S. and African veterans as well as French resistance fighters who took part in crucial but often-overlooked World War II landings on the Riviera. Read more.
Kirkland, McMurry Talk Readiness, Collaboration:
The importance of increasing readiness while decreasing costs through enterprise collaboration was the focus of a discussion lead by Lt. Gen. Gene Kirkland, Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, and Lt. Gen. Robert McMurry, Commander, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, at the Tinker and the Primes event at the Reed Center, Oklahoma City.
Military Veterans In Demand For Careers In Construction:
As the construction industry continues to struggle finding workers, they are looking to potentially untapped job markets. Read more.
New App From U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Streamlines Veterans’ Resources To Enhance Their Care:
The VA released a new mobile application recently. Launchpad is implicitly designed to help veterans spend less time navigating the web to access VA’s resources and ultimately aims to improve the incorporation of the agency’s services into their lives. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Is Changing GI Bill Payment Amounts For Some Online Classes:
GI Bill students enrolled in courses that combine distance and in-class learning will soon get paid a full housing allowance thanks to a change by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Read more.
Walgreens Wants A Few Good Veterans For Future Leadership:
Walgreens recently announced a pledge to hire 5,000 veterans over the next five years. Read more.
Why Women Veterans Are 250 Percent More Likely Than Civilian Women To Commit Suicide:
After four years on active duty, Amy left the Army and moved back to her hometown but she struggled to find her tribe. At work, she was told her handshake was a bit too firm and lectured about how her direct communication style made her coworkers uncomfortable. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
DMVA's Pennylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home (PSSH) Is Hiring Certified Nurse Aides (Erie County):
PSSH is seeking enthusiastic CNAs committed to helping residents prepare for their day and assisting them to participate in exciting activities. Through this day-to-day contact with residents, you will have the ability to improve their quality of life. Must hold active registration as a nurse aide in the Pennsylvania Nurse Aide Registry. We offer competitive salary and complete state benefits package including comprehensive family health insurance; dental, vision, and hearing aid benefits; life insurance coverage; excellent leave package; and a generous retirement plan. Read more.
Veterans’ Expo & Job Fair Capital Area:
- Aug. 27, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Radisson Hotel Harrisburg, 1150 Camp Hill Bypass, Camp Hill, PA (Cumberland County)- Any questions please call 717-285-1350- The Veterans’ Expo connects active and retired military members of all ages and their families with the benefits and resources available to them. Covering everything from home improvement, legal services, finance, retirement living and insurance. The job fair will also provide an opportunity for veterans and employers to meet face-to-face to discuss available positions. Workshops and seminars will be offered on relevant topics.- Website.
FourBlock Veteran Career Readiness:
- Sep. 10-Nov. 19, 2019, Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m.- Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- For more information, email Eric Stetson at [email protected] - What makes FourBlock unique? FourBlock is shaping the future of veteran transition and veteran career readiness by inspiring veterans to achieve more after their military service. The community brings together top companies and high-potential veterans to foster better understanding of veterans in the nation’s leading employers and ensure that veterans are ready to pursue the best careers possible. This program is complimentary. Application is open to Post-9/11 veterans, active duty, Reservists and National Guard who are pursuing or have obtained a bachelor's degree.- Register.
MEETUP Veteran Entrepreneurship:
Sep. 11, 2019, 6:30-8:30 p.m.LaunchBox at the GoogleWorks, 201 Washington St., Reading, PA (Berks County)Join for refreshments, hor d’oeuvres and an informational session to help guide you on your entrepreneurial path as a veteran. The session will feature multiple veteran speakers including veteran small business owners.Register.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Veterans Service Officer Will Be At Lebanon Valley Medical Center (Lebanon County):
- Aug. 21, 2019, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.- Lebanon VA Medical Center, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County), Building 17, room 104- For questions contact the Lebanon VA Medical Center at 717-272-6621- A Veterans Service Officer will be available to assist veterans with obtaining information and initiating compensation claim paperwork. In addition to delivering services, our VSO performs an educational role, raising the awareness of existing services and benefits that are available to our veterans.- Read more.
The USO Show Troupe:
- Aug. 22-25, 2019- Mt. Gretna Theatre, 200 Pennsylvania Ave., Mt. Gretna, PA (Lebanon County)- For tickets and more information, call the box office at 717-964-3627- The popular military performance troupe delivers their American Heartland musical tribute that has been part of American tradition for over 70 years. Sure to please a variety of musical tastes ranging from today’s top 40 to Broadway, Big Band, and even some patriotic tunes. Performing live annually for more than 300,000 service members and their families, the USO Show Troupe presents top of the line entertainment. All veterans and active military receive $5 off their ticket.- Website.
DMVA Outreach Team Will Be At The Clarion County Veterans Picnic:
- Aug. 23, 2019, noon-4 p.m.- Clarion County Park, Shippensville, PA (Clarion County)- Point of contact: Judy Zerbe at 814-226-4000 or email [email protected] - The veterans appreciation picnic is sponsored by the Clarion County Veterans Affairs. DMVA’s veterans outreach team will be there, providing information and assistance to veterans and family members who may be eligible for benefits.
- Sept. 4, 18, Oct. 2, 9 and 16, 2019, 3-5 p.m.- Country Club of Harrisburg, 401 Fishing Creek Valley Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Website. - Register.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Plymouth (Luzerne County):
- Sept. 5-8, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Wyoming Valley West Senior High School, 150 Wadham St., Plymouth, PA (Luzerne County)- The Wall That Heals mobile exhibit features a three-quarter scale replica of The Wall in Washington, D.C. The exterior sides of the trailer that carries The Wall That Heals open to become a mobile Education Center.- Website.
Prevent Suicide PA Fundraising Dinner:
- Sept. 6, 2019, 6:30-10 p.m.- Davio's Restaurant, 200 Main St., King of Prussia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Join for a night of good food and drinks. Learn about Prevent Suicide PA’s efforts to combat suicide in the commonwealth and what you can do to support this great cause. Join in on a basket raffle with prizes from local businesses and sports teams. Ticket purchase includes a buffet style meal including salads and hors d’oeuvres, penne with San Marzano tomato and basil, Davio’s famous meatballs, and a variety of desserts. The first two drinks are included with admission.- Tickets.
- Sept. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2 and 9, 2019, 4:30-6:30 p.m.- Bensalem Township Country Club, 2000 Brown Ave., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving communities and growing the game of golf through three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Register. - Website.
Building The Bridge:
- Sept. 13, 2019- Lebanon VA Medical Center, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Any questions, contact Christine Brubaker at 717-272-6621, ext. 5726 or email [email protected] - Building the Bridge recognizes that veteran-centered, recovery-oriented care requires both active and ongoing cooperation with veterans, caregivers, family members, community providers and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) providers. Please join for education, collaborative discussion and workgroup sessions to further develop, strengthen and sustain working relationships.
Walk With A Veteran:
- Sept. 19, 2019, starting at 9 a.m.- U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, 950 Soldiers Dr., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)- For more information or to R.S.V.P. please contact Jeff Hawks at 717-258-1102 or email [email protected]. Space is limited.- Veterans of all eras and services are invited to attend. Several hundred middle school students will attend to meet veterans and tour the center in small groups. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Pennsylvania's First All Female Veteran Call To Duty – Honor Flight Philadelphia:
- Sept. 21, 2019- Washington, D.C.- For trip details call 215-301-8890 or 215-954-5634 or email [email protected] - Honor Flight Philadelphia is currently looking for female veterans who would like to join a trip to Washington in a day of honor and recognition, to view the memorials dedicated to their service at no cost to the veteran.- Honor Flight Facebook page.
Blood Sweat Cheer Festival:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.- Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association In Newtown Square, 4599 W. Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA (Delaware County)- Blood Sweat Cheer festival is a family-friendly event filled with fitness, live music, kids activities, great food, and a variety of Local vendors. The main goal of the festival is to raise funds for the Delaware County Veterans Memorial and its educational programs. Register and attend for the chance to win an all expenses paid vacation sponsored by Apple Vacations!- Facebook page.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Indiana (Indiana County):
- October 10-13, 2019- Mack Park Fairgrounds, 803 Hospital Rd., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)- For more information, call the American Legion at 724-465-2326.- The Wall That Heals honors over 58,000 service members who lost their lives defending the country during the Vietnam war. The Northern Appalachian Folk Festival, Inc. and The American Legion Post 141 are proud to bring this exhibit to Indiana, PA.- Website.
Coffee And Camaraderie:
- Fourth Friday of every month, 9 a.m.- Heisey’s Diner, 1740 PA-72, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Reserve your spot by calling 717-272-8317 or email [email protected] - Share a free cup of coffee, your stories, and friendship with other veterans of the Lebanon Valley. All veterans are welcome. Feel free to order breakfast, but at your own expense. For those in need, breakfast sponsorships are available.