Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Annual Car Show Benefits DMVA's Southeastern Veterans' Center (SEVC):
The sixth annual Car and Motorcycle Show at DMVA's Southeastern Veterans' Center in Spring City (Chester County) was a win-win-win for the staff and veteran residents. Fees collected from show exhibitors were donated to the center. Handicrafts made by residents were offered for sale, to the delight of visitors. The residents themselves enjoyed music, activities, and the car show itself. Read more.
DMVA And ESGR Thank Veteran Employers:
The 2019 Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) luncheon was held at Fort Indiantown Gap (Lebanon County) recently. The event provided an opportunity for the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and Pennsylvania National Guard to recognize and thank employers who employ and support National Guard and Reserve members. Flickr Album.
PA Department Of State Toured Fort Indiantown Gap (Lebanon County):
Commonwealth employees from the PA Department of State toured Fort Indiantown Gap recently. The visitors experienced the dual mission of the Pennsylvania National Guard and the critical role that commonwealth employees play in supporting both missions. Read more.
PA Guard Soldiers Bid Farewell To 28th Infantry Division Command Sgt. Maj.:
Soldiers and friends of the 28th Infantry Division, Pennsylvania Army National Guard, gathered at Harrisburg Military Post recently to bid farewell to Command Sgt. Maj. John Jones, the division’s senior enlisted leader and, currently, the longest-serving division soldier. During a change of responsibility ceremony, the unit also welcomed Command Sgt. Maj. Randall Pritts, the incoming division sergeant major. Read more.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo Slated For Wilkes-Barre:
Led by the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Women Veterans Committee of the Governor’s Advisory Council for Veterans Services (GAC-VS) will host a Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo to honor women veterans for their service and also update them on programs and services they may have earned. The FREE event will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24, from 9 a.m.-noon at the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. For more information call Crystal A. Petery at 717-861-6904 or email [email protected]. Read more.
Around the State
Erie Veteran, 91, Separated From Then Reunited With Beloved Dogs:
Gearhart, 91, a Korean War veteran, and his family had agreed it was time for him to enter into assisted living, but he was not willing to give up his toy poodles, Steamboat Willie and Andy Gump. “It was a difficult decision. He had fallen four years ago and is in a wheelchair and was struggling to take care of himself,” said Laura Taylor, Gearhart’s daughter. “He didn’t want to give up those dogs.” Read more.
History In Motion – Restored Military Vehicles Mark Centennial Convoy:
Downtown Ligonier hosted a parade that saw around 60 some restored military vehicles proceed on East Main Street and circle part of Diamond Park before parking at Fort Ligonier and other nearby lots. “It’s history in motion,” says Walter Schroth, a Military Vehicle Preservation Association member from Indiana County who is overseeing the leg of the journey through western PA. “We want to honor and celebrate our veterans. We want to bring attention to the historic 1919 convoy, and we want to show people these military vehicles and help them understand the part they played in our defense.” Read more.
New Pittsburgh VA Director Heralds Tech, Telemedicine And Expanded Access To Care:
The Pittsburgh Office of Veterans Affairs welcomed its sixth director in five years this summer in former Navy Lieutenant Commander and experienced hospital chief Donald Koenig. “Anytime I get the least bit frustrated with “I’m not making the progress I want to on something, I just go down to the lobby and sit down and talk to a veteran,” Koenig says. “The stories are incredible, and it immediately just re-centers you—'Yeah, this is why I’m here.'” Read more.
PA National Guard And Commonwealth Agencies – Lean Six Sigma Graduates Earn College Credit:
Members of the Pennsylvania National Guard and various commonwealth agencies received college credit for the Lean Six Sigma class. Lean Six Sigma is a synergized managerial concept of Lean and Six Sigma. Lean traditionally focuses on the elimination of the eight kinds of waste, while Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects and minimizing variability in processes. Read more.
Patriotic Paean – Former Brighton Township Musician Composes Symphonic Work To Honor Veterans:
“Freedom,” a three-movement symphonic work composed by Brighton Township native Jeff Herwig, was created to honor those serving our country. Herwig, band director at Mercer Area Middle-High School (Mercer County) and freelance composer, said he’s always been indebted to the men and women who’ve sacrificed to protect our freedoms. Read more.
Pennsylvania Joins States Observing Purple Heart Day:
Pennsylvania is honoring the men and women either killed or wounded while defending our freedom. Governor Tom Wolf has declared every August 7 Purple Heart Day. The Purple Heart is awarded to U.S. military members who are wounded or killed in combat. About 1.8 million American service members have received the Purple Heart. More than 91,000 Pennsylvanians have been either killed or wounded in war since 1917. Read more.
StarKist Co. Honors The Korean War Veterans Of Western Pennsylvania:
StarKist Co., headquartered on Pittsburgh's North Shore (Allegheny County), and its parent company, Dongwon of Seoul, South Korea, are proud to announce their long-standing commitment to the local Korean War Veterans of Western Pennsylvania. Read more.
VETMotorsports Outreach Seeking Participants For Events In Warminster Area (Bucks County):
VETMotorsports is an award-winning, non-profit, non-clinical outreach program that honors and empowers active military, National Guard, Reserve, Gold Star parents, and veterans with service-connected injuries and their caregivers by embedding them with professional racing teams and putting them behind the wheel to race in amateur events. Email [email protected] for more information. Read more.
Fallen Vietnam veterans from Mifflin and Juniata counties and their families received an emotional welcome home recently with a wreath-laying ceremony in memory of each soldier who lost his life. Read more.
Across the Nation
Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is launching the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship for students training in high demand STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields. The Rogers STEM Scholarship will provide up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement (or a maximum of $30,000) to qualifying veterans and Fry Scholars seeking a STEM degree or who have earned a STEM degree and are seeking a teaching certification. Website or contact VA’s Education Call Center by phone at 1-888-442-4551.
N.Y. Guard Engineers Conduct Innovative Training In Hawaii:
While most New York Army National Guard soldiers spent their 2019 annual training at Fort Drum, Fort Indiantown Gap, or Joint Base Dix-McGuire-Lakehurst; 45 Soldiers from the 204th Engineer Battalion did their training in Hawaii. Twenty-three soldiers from 1156th Engineer Company were selected to participate in an Innovative Readiness Training rotation. Read more.
Patton's Granddaughter to Return Missing Footlocker To WWII Vet's Family:
Friends of Helen Patton in France, Daniel Le Bulot and Laurent Oliveira, found Army Pfc. Calvin Morris's old trunk that he apparently had left behind at a house in Rheims, France, in 1944. Morris survived the war and went on to become a firefighter in New York City and then in Mayer, Arizona. He died in 1992. Read more.
Pin-Ups For Vets Unveils 2020 Calendar:
Pin-Ups For Vets released its annual calendar in an effort to raise money to support hospitalized veterans and personnel currently deployed overseas, the non-profit announced. Read more.
Southwest Airlines Flew The Remains Of A Vietnam Airman Home To Dallas – The Pilot Was His Son:
Bryan Knight was five years old when he waved goodbye to his father from Dallas Love Field airport in Dallas, Texas. He never saw him again. The year was 1967 and Roy Knight Jr. was heading to war. The pilot reported to Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base in January. By May, after flying near daily combat missions, Knight was missing, his plane shot down over enemy territory in Laos. It was another seven years before his family found out he'd been killed. 45 years after that, they finally received closure.
The First Underwater Veterans Memorial Is Open For Divers:
It wasn’t the typical ribbon cutting ceremony. Instead of standing in front of some building, Heyward Matthews, a professor of oceanography at St. Petersburg College in Pinellas County, Fla., wielded the oversized scissors in the water and cut a ribbon strung between two boats. That’s because Matthews was dedicating the opening of the nation’s first underwater dive memorial honoring veterans, located 40 feet below the surface 10 miles off the coast of Dunedin Beach, Florida. Read more.
This Fort Worth Company Has A Mission To Give Veterans And Others A Helping Hand:
Three years ago, John Ortiz and his wife Jaime sold their home in Colorado and came to Texas to start their junk hauling business. John Ortiz, an Army veteran who served in Iraq and Kuwait, wanted to work alongside other veterans, and he and his wife launched a franchise of JDOG Junk Removal and Hauling, a veteran-owned company with headquarters in Pennsylvania. Read more.
This Is Where The Coast Guard Museum Will Be Built:
Construction of the planned National Coast Guard Museum is expected to begin early next year in New London, Conn. Members of the museum’s board said that a request for proposals for the first phase of construction is expected to go out on September 1. The final design, which was approved earlier this year by the board calls for an 80,000-square-foot, five-story, interactive, environmentally friendly museum on the city's waterfront.
Veterans Urge Changes Before Expansion Of U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Caregivers Program:
There are times when retired Staff Sgt. Matt Lammers doesn't look like he needs anyone's help, like when he was competing, and winning, races at the Department of Defense Warrior Games in Tampa, Fla., this summer. "We don't like to say the word 'can't' in our family," says Matt, who lost both his legs above the knee and his left arm to an explosion during his second deployment to Iraq in 2007. Read more.
Vets Summer Fest Benefits Homeless Veterans:
The annual Vets Summer Fest is an event that is a lot of fun, but with a very important cause. There are homeless veterans throughout the nation and for nearly a decade this event has raised more than $150,000 for homeless veterans and Operation Chillout. Operation Chillout is an all-volunteer outreach dedicated to ending to the crisis of homelessness for veterans, men and women throughout New Jersey and parts of northeastern Pennsylvania. Read more.
WWII Veteran Reunited With His Dog Tag Lost In The Pacific:
A 97-year-old U.S. Army veteran from Bismarck, N.D. has been reunited with a dog tag he lost in Papua New Guinea while serving in World War II. A stranger found Ed Boger’s dirty, rusted dog tag about five years ago while digging a hole for a school flagpole in Lemieng, Papua New Guinea. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Veterans’ Expo & Job Fair Capital Area:
- Aug. 27, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Radisson Hotel Harrisburg, 1150 Camp Hill Bypass, Camp Hill, PA (Cumberland County)- Any questions please call 717-285-1350- The Veterans’ Expo connects active and retired military members of all ages and their families with the benefits and resources available to them. Covering everything from home improvement, legal services, finance, retirement living and insurance. The job fair will also provide an opportunity for veterans and employers to meet face-to-face to discuss available positions. Workshops and seminars will be offered on relevant topics.- Website.
FourBlock Veteran Career Readiness:
- Sep. 10-Nov. 19, 2019, Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m.- Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- For more information, email Eric Stetson at [email protected] - What makes FourBlock unique? FourBlock is shaping the future of veteran transition and veteran career readiness by inspiring veterans to achieve more after their military service. Our community brings together top companies and high-potential veterans to foster better understanding of veterans in the nation’s leading employers and ensure that veterans are ready to pursue the best careers possible. This program is complimentary. Application is open to Post-9/11 veterans, active duty, Reservists and National Guard who are pursuing or have obtained a bachelor's degree.- Register.
MEETUP Veteran Entrepreneurship:
Sep. 11, 2019, 6:30-8:30 p.m.LaunchBox at the GoogleWorks, 201 Washington St., Reading, PA (Berks County)Join for refreshments, hor d’oeuvres and an informational session to help guide you on your entrepreneurial path as a veteran. The session will feature multiple veteran speakers including veteran small business owners.Register.
Veterans Employment Representative 1 (Butler County):
As a veterans' employment representative 1, you will serve as a disabled veterans' outreach program specialist (DVOP) in a PA CareerLink career center. You will provide employment services to disabled veterans as well as veterans facing significant barriers to employment. Working as a DVOP, you can take pride in helping fellow veterans find and keep meaningful employment, and you can make a significant and positive difference in the lives of veterans in your community. Apply today!
Veterans Employment Representative 2 (Luzerne County):
As a veterans' employment representative 2, you will serve as a local veterans' employment representative (LVER) in a PA CareerLink® career center. You will conduct outreach to employers and business associations and engage in advocacy efforts to increase employment opportunities for veterans. Working as a LVER, you can take pride in matching businesses with qualified veteran applicants, and you can make a significant and positive difference in local businesses and in the lives of veterans in your community. Apply today!
Waste Management Hiring Diesel Technician In Telford (Bucks And Montgomery Counties):
- Diesel technician wanted - competitive salary and great benefits- Call 877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: two years of relevant work experience, valid driver's license and a clean driving record. Must be at least 18 years of age. Up to 5,000 benefits reimbursement. Waste Management has been recognized as Best Employer of Veterans- Apply.
Waste Management Hiring Rolloff Drivers In Telford (Bucks And Montgomery Counties):
- CDL Rolloff Drivers wanted - competitive salary and great benefits- Call 877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: Must be 21 years of age and have at least one year of CDL driving experience with manual transmission. CDL with airbrake endorsement. Up to $5,000 benefits reimbursement. Waste Management has been recognized as Best Employer of Veterans- Apply.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Creative Expression Art Group:
- Aug. 7-Oct. 30, 2019, every Wednesday, 6 p.m.- Harrisburg Vet Center, 1500 N. 2nd St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- To sign up, call Meg Taylor at 717-782-3954- No artistic experience or expertise required, just a desire to connect with other veterans and learn new, fun-filled ways to use the creative process as a coping skill. All art supplies will be provided by the Harrisburg Vet Center. Eligibility includes those who have served on active military duty in any combat theater or area of hostility, experienced military sexual trauma, provided direct emergent medical care or mortuary services to the casualties of war, served as a member of an unmanned aerial vehicle crew that provided direct support to operation in combat zones, and family members of veterans or service members who experience an active duty death.
Back To School Military And Veteran Families:
- Aug. 12-15, 2019, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.- Veteran Leadership Program, 2934 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information call 412-481-8200- Free school supplies including book bags, notebooks, pencils and more, available for children of veterans as well as active duty and Guard/Reserve members.
A Veterans Service Officer From VFW Will Be At Senator Mike Regan's Office:
- Aug. 15, 2019, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.- Senator Mike Regan's Office, 2151 Market St, Camp Hill, PA (Cumberland County)- Take advantage of all the benefits you've earned and deserve. Let a VFW Service Officer help.- Website.
Veterans Place Of Washington Blvd. 4th Annual Bike Ride To Benefit Local Homeless Veterans (Westmoreland County):
- Aug. 17, 2019, 8 a.m.-11 a.m.- 1601 Wildlife Ledge Rd., 1809 5th Ave., New Kensington, PA (Westmoreland County)- Contact the organizer. - Zodiac Motorcycle Club is hosting a Bike Ride to benefit Veterans Place of Washington Boulevard. This is a volunteer ticket.- To pre-register as a rider or passenger, please purchase your tickets here: Register.
Yoga & Smoothies:
- Aug. 18, 2019, 10 a.m.- Veterans Leadership Program, 2934 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- R.S.V.P. to Patti at 412-254-3194 or email [email protected] - Yoga, smoothies and healthy conversation for women veterans and Veterans Service Organizations. Free childcare provided onsite!
Gold Star Mom Running Fir Wreaths:
Aug. 20, 2019, 9 a.m.- Indiantown Gap National Cemetery, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Anyone wishing to run with Cathy must pre-register by emailing [email protected]. No later than Aug. 14th. All non-active military will need to complete a waiver, which will be emailed once registered.- Cathy Powers, a Gold Star Mom is "Running Fir Wreaths" to honor her son and all of America's fallen heroes. Her goal is to run 1,000 miles in 2019, while raising awareness and funds for 7,777 veterans' wreaths to be placed at Arlington National Cemetery in December, as part of Wreaths Across America. The approximately 2.5 mile run will leave from the memorial after the ceremony and end at the USO building where lunch provided by Mission BBQ will be served.- Follow Cathy's Running Fir Wreaths on Facebook.
Veterans Service Officer Will Be At Lebanon Valley Medical Center (Lebanon County):
- Aug. 21, 2019, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.- Lebanon VA Medical Center, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County), Building 17, room 104- For questions contact the Lebanon VA Medical Center at 717-272-6621- A Veterans Service Officer will be available to assist veterans with obtaining information and initiating compensation claim paperwork. In addition to delivering services, our VSO performs an educational role, raising the awareness of existing services and benefits that are available to our veterans.- Read more.
The USO Show Troupe:
- Aug. 22-25, 2019- Mt. Gretna Theatre, 200 Pennsylvania Ave., Mt. Gretna, PA (Lebanon County)- For tickets and more information, call the box office at 717-964-3627- The popular military performance troupe delivers their American Heartland musical tribute that has been part of American tradition for over 70 years. Sure to please a variety of musical tastes ranging from today’s top 40 to Broadway, Big Band, and even some patriotic tunes. Performing live annually for more than 300,000 service members and their families, the USO Show Troupe presents top of the line entertainment. All veterans and active military receive $5 off their ticket.- Website.
DMVA Outreach Team Will Be At The Clarion County Veterans Picnic:
- Aug. 23, 2019, noon-4 p.m.- Clarion County Park, Shippensville, PA (Clarion County)- Point of contact: Judy Zerbe at814-226-4000 or email [email protected] - The veterans appreciation picnic is sponsored by the Clarion County Veterans Affairs. DMVA’s veterans outreach team will be there, providing information and assistance to veterans and family members who may be eligible for benefits.
- Sept. 4, 18, Oct. 2, 9 and 16, 2019, 3-5 p.m.- Country Club of Harrisburg, 401 Fishing Creek Valley Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving our communities and growing the game of golf through our three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Website. - Register.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Plymouth (Luzerne County):
- Sept. 5-8, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.- Wyoming Valley West Senior High School, 150 Wadham St., Plymouth, PA (Luzerne County)- The Wall That Heals mobile exhibit features a three-quarter scale replica of The Wall in Washington, D.C. The exterior sides of the trailer that carries The Wall That Heals open to become a mobile Education Center.- Website.
Prevent Suicide PA Fundraising Dinner:
- Sept. 6, 2019, 6:30-10 p.m.- Davio's Restaurant, 200 Main St., King of Prussia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Join for a night of good food and drinks. Learn about Prevent Suicide PA’s efforts to combat suicide in the commonwealth and what you can do to support this great cause. Join in on a basket raffle with prizes from local businesses and sports teams. Ticket purchase includes a buffet style meal including salads and hors d’oeuvres, penne with San Marzano tomato and basil, Davio’s famous meatballs, and a variety of desserts. The first two drinks are included with admission.- Tickets.
- Sept. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2 and 9, 2019, 4:30-6:30 p.m.- Bensalem Township Country Club, 2000 Brown Ave., Bensalem, PA (Bucks County)- PGA REACH Philadelphia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 2018 as the charitable arm of the Philadelphia PGA Section, one of the 41 Sections within the PGA of America. PGA REACH Philadelphia is committed to serving our communities and growing the game of golf through our three pillars: youth, military, and diversity & inclusion.- Register. - Website.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo:
- Aug. 24, 2019, 9 a.m.-noon- Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, PA (Luzerne County)- Call Crystal A. Petery at 717-861-6904 or email [email protected] - Led by the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Governor's Advisory Council on Veterans Services is inviting women veterans and those actively serving to a FREE Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo. Learn about programs and services available to you, speak with representatives and pick up resources. No registration is required and the event is open to women veterans and women service members.- Press release.
Building The Bridge:
- Sept. 13, 2019- Lebanon VA Medical Center, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Any questions, contact Christine Brubaker at 717-272-6621, ext. 5726 or email [email protected] - Building the Bridge recognizes that veteran-centered, recovery-oriented care requires both active and ongoing cooperation with veterans, caregivers, family members, community providers and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) providers. Please join for education, collaborative discussion and workgroup sessions to further develop, strengthen and sustain working relationships.
Walk With A Veteran:
- Sept. 19, 2019, starting at 9 a.m.- U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, 950 Soldiers Dr., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)- For more information or to R.S.V.P. please contact Jeff Hawks at 717-258-1102 or email [email protected]. Space is limited.- Veterans of all eras and services are invited to attend. Several hundred middle school students will attend to meet veterans and tour the center in small groups. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Pennsylvania's First All Female Veteran Call To Duty – Honor Flight Philadelphia:
- Sept. 21, 2019- Washington, D.C.- For trip details call 215-301-8890 or 215-954-5634 or email [email protected] - Honor Flight Philadelphia is currently looking for female veterans who would like to join a trip to Washington in a day of honor and recognition, to view the memorials dedicated to their service at no cost to the veteran.- Honor Flight Facebook page.
Blood Sweat Cheer Festival:
- Sept. 29, 2019, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.- Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association In Newtown Square, 4599 W. Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA (Delaware County)- Blood Sweat Cheer festival is a family-friendly event filled with fitness, live music, kids activities, great food, and a variety of Local vendors. The main goal of the festival is to raise funds for the Delaware County Veterans Memorial and its educational programs. Register and attend for the chance to win an all expenses paid vacation sponsored by Apple Vacations!- Facebook page.
The Wall That Heals Comes To Indiana (Indiana County):
- October 10-13, 2019- Mack Park Fairgrounds, 803 Hospital Rd., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)- For more information, call the American Legion at 724-465-2326.- The Wall That Heals honors over 58,000 service members who lost their lives defending the country during the Vietnam war. The Northern Appalachian Folk Festival, Inc. and The American Legion Post 141 are proud to bring this exhibit to Indiana, Pa.- Website.
Coffee And Camaraderie:
- Fourth Friday of every month, 9 a.m.- Heisey’s Diner, 1740 PA-72, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Reserve your spot by calling 717-272-8317 or email [email protected] - Share a free cup of coffee, your stories, and friendship with other veterans of the Lebanon Valley. All veterans are welcome. Feel free to order breakfast, but at your own expense. For those in need, breakfast sponsorships are available.