Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Women Veterans Potluck Party:
- July 27, 2019, 5 p.m.- 3617 N. Hills Rd., Murrysville, PA (Westmoreland County)- R.S.V.P. to Patty by July 20, 2019, at 412-254-3194 or email [email protected] - Bring yourself, your significant other, kids, grandkids and your favorite dish! Last name A-Q please bring a side dish/salad. Last name R-Z please bring dessert.
Veterans Learn To Row And Paddle:
- July 17, 2019, 6:30-8 p.m.- 90 Riverfront Dr., Millvale, PA (Allegheny County)- To register email Danielle at [email protected] - Three Rivers Rowing Association invites you to learn to row and paddle. All ages and abilities welcome!
DMVA Still Looking For Five Photos Of Pennsylvania Veterans Who Paid Ultimate Sacrifice In Vietnam:
To further honor and preserve the memory of our veterans for future generations, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in Washington, D.C. is leading an initiative to locate a photo for every U.S. service member who died during Vietnam. Please help find the remaining five photos from Philadelphia County. For information on how to submit a photo Read more.
On-Site Job Fair At DMVA's Pennsylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home In Erie:
WE’RE HIRING: DMVA's Pennsylvania Soldiers' and Sailors' Home (PSSH) in Erie County is hiring registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and certified nurse aides! Join us for the ON-SITE JOB FAIR, Thurs., July 25. For more information call 814-878-4974 or visit Read more.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo Slated For Wilkes-Barre:
Led by the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Women Veterans Committee of the Governor’s Advisory Council for Veterans Services (GAC-VS) will host a Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo to honor women veterans for their service and also update them on programs and services they may have earned. The FREE event will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24, from 9 a.m.-noon at the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. For more information call Crystal A. Petery at 717-861-6904 or email [email protected]. Read more.
Around the State
Angel Trees Will Help Veterans In Need:
Boscov's locations in Johnstown (Cambria County) and Altoona (Blair County) are giving their customers a chance to be an angel for a veteran by having an angel tree in stores where you can choose to donate items to a veteran in need. Customers can pick up an ornament from the tree. Each paper ornament is labeled with items that a veteran needs. Read more.
Kushequa Bridge To Be Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge:
Recognizing the sacrifices made by Vietnam veterans in McKean County, Rep. Martin Causer, R-Turtlepoint, announced a new law that will designate a bridge in their honor. Under the law, the bridge on Kushequa Avenue over the Kinzua Creek in Hamlin Township is designated the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge. Read more.
New Liberty Boulevard Sign Honors WWI Veterans:
Several years ago, Paul Sprague, past commander of the George D. Montgomery American Legion Post 17 in DuBois (Clearfield County), learned of how Liberty Boulevard got its name. “After World War I, the City of DuBois, as a way of honoring and remembering the returning veterans, renamed part of what had been known originally as Plank Road to Liberty Boulevard,” said Sprague. Read more.
Philadelphia Teen Raises Thousands To Help Homeless Veterans:
Army veteran Brian Roberts said his hardest fought battle didn't come until he was back home after serving. “I was homeless for a little bit. I slept in my car. It was hard,” he said. Roberts had trouble finding a job when he returned home, leaving him unable to pay his bills. Read more.
Young Hockey Players Hold Fundraiser For Hometown Hero:
A group of young hockey players in Lower Allen Twp. (Cumberland County) spent part of their Fourth of July fundraising to make a difference in the life of a hometown hero. "As an organization we chose to raise $5,000 to find a service dog and give it to a veteran,” Lucas Harder, who plays defense for the Central PA Lawmen, says. The team is raising money so they’ll be able to provide an area veteran with a service dog from Susquehanna Service Dogs. Read more.
Across the Nation
For At-Risk Veterans, Finding Pathways To Good Sleep Is Critical:
Sherman Gillums Jr. didn’t appreciate the importance of sleep until he had faced a period of time after military service in which he could not sleep. In the days following a catastrophic event that left him permanently disabled, sleep became his enemy. Read more.
Is The Open Burn Pit Registry For You?:
Veterans who served in Southwest Asia, may have been exposed to airborne hazards such as open burn pits or other environmental hazards. Burn pits were a common way to get rid of waste at military sites. Smoke from these pits contained chemicals that may have short and long-term health effects, especially for those who were exposed for long periods. Read more.
This Purple Heart Has A Name:
On an average day at the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in Shreveport, LA, Nathaniel Cornelius, will see hundreds of veterans, most of whom just need to know where to go for their appointment. But March 29, 2019, was no average day. That’s when an anonymous person handed Cornelius a Purple Heart medal, which set in motion the task of finding its owner. “As a veteran, I knew this was important and I should give it to the right person,” said Cornelius. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Extends Agent Orange Presumption To ‘Blue Water Navy’ Veterans:
The VA is preparing to process Agent Orange exposure claims for “Blue Water Navy” veterans who served offshore of the Republic of Vietnam between Jan. 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975. These Veterans may be eligible for presumption of herbicide exposure through the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019, which goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2020. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Urges Everyone To “Be There For Veterans”:
In a video which is narrated by actor and filmmaker Tom Hanks, VA issues an urgent call to action to support our nation’s veterans and reach out to veterans who may be in need. It will run throughout VA’s #BeThere campaign for Suicide Prevention Month in September and last until Veterans Day 2019. Join the conversation by sharing this Video, and using #BeThere on social media. In addition, visit the Website for more information on how to create supportive communities for veterans and their families.
VA, DoD Announce 2019 Suicide Prevention Conference:
This August, nearly 2,000 U.S. Department of Veterans Affair (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) care teams, leaders, allies and subject matter experts from across the country will convene at the 2019 VA/DoD Suicide Prevention Conference in Nashville, TN. It is a crucial extension of the shared VA and DoD mission to prevent suicide among all service members and veterans. Read more.
WWII Veteran To Mark 100th Birthday As Blue Angels Fly Over Pensacola Beach:
As a 25-year-old Army lieutenant, Sam Lombardo led men through months of brutal combat starting at the Battle the Bulge and ending with a march through Nazi Germany. He remembers fellow soldiers lost to mine fields, snipers and artillery shells. They gave their lives in a conflict that changed the world for generations to come and was so big it is difficult for most people today to comprehend. Lombardo, who will celebrate his 100th birthday on July 12, desperately wants future generations to know the real stories of World War II. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Bobby Rahal Automotive Group Is Hiring Members And Veterans Of The Pennsylvania National Guard:
Bobby Rahal Automotive Group and the Pennsylvania National Guard Associations PNGAS are pleased to announce a relationship to promote jobs for members and veterans of the Pennsylvania National Guard and their families. Through the relationship, Bobby Rahal and PNGAS hope to attract members and veterans of the Guard and their families to join the Bobby Rahal team as employees in several career pathways. In addition to competitive pay and a Guard-friendly work environment, employees will receive paid training, a strong benefits package and paid time off. Website or the PNGAS Job Board.
Dr. Michael Ward’s Career In VA Emergency Care Leads To New Research Opportunities:
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), Dr. Michael Ward has witnessed the transformative care options VA offers the nation’s veterans and its healthcare providers. Along with providing acute care for veterans as a physician in the emergency department at the Tennessee Valley Healthcare System’s Nashville campus, Dr. Ward has used the time and resources available to him at VA to conduct research that can have a direct impact on emergency care systems, including the role telehealth plays in aiding Veterans with mental health concerns. Read more.
Dr. Stephen Burgher Advances Veteran Emergency Care While Serving His Country:
As Chief of Emergency Medicine Services at the Dallas U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center, Dr. Stephen Burgher not only leads emergency care for the over 113,000 veterans that are part of the VA North Texas Health Care System, he continues his service to the United States as a Navy Reserve captain. Read more.
Governor Wolf Announces Loan Funding To Beemac Trucking, LLC, Enabling Job Creation In Beaver County:
Governor Tom Wolf announced a low-interest loan approval through the Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority (PIDA) for Beemac Trucking, LLC in Beaver County. The funding will enable the construction of a new full-service maintenance and repair facility in Ambridge Borough and will support the combined creation and retention of more than 200 full-time jobs. Read more.
PennDOT Has Job Opportunities In The Winter Maintenance Program:
Seasonal job opportunities are available in ALL COUNTIES and run from September 2019 through April 2020. While these positions are not available for current state employees, please share these opportunities with friends and family members. To see a list of job opening and apply visit the Website.
Pennsylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home Job Fair:
- July 25, 2019, 1-5 p.m.- 560 E. Third St., Erie, PA (Erie County)- Any questions call 814-878-4974- Immediate openings for registered nurses ($72,889/yr), licensed practical nurses ($43,012/yr) and certified nurses ($31,880/yr).- Unable to attend? Apply online.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Support Helped Justin Fowler Pursue A RN Career:
Justin Fowler is an intermediate care technician (ICT) with VA’s Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital in Colombia, Mo. After serving with a Marine infantry unit, Fowler took advantage of the rich opportunities VA offers former military medics and corpsmen, including basic medical technicians, combat medic specialists, basic hospital corpsmen or basic health services technicians. While working at VA, Fowler applied for the VA National Education for Employee Program (VANEEP) scholarship, which provides financial assistance to employees pursuing degrees or training in healthcare disciplines. Read more.
Veterans Services Officer - DMVA - Lebanon County:
The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is looking for someone to help veterans understand what benefits are available to them to enroll. If you are organized and enjoy working with people, we have the job for you! In this role, you have the responsibility for the provision of benefits and services to Pennsylvania veterans by managing and maintaining a caseload of claims for veterans' benefits, services, and resources from the initial claims application through to the final determination of benefits. Apply.
Waste Management Hiring CDL Rolloff Drivers In Telford, PA:
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: Must be 21 years of age and have at least one year of CDL driving experience with manual transmission, CDL Class A or B with airbrake endorsement. Sign-on bonuses of $3,000 are available. Up to $5,000 benefits reimbursement.- Waste Management has been recognized as Best Employer of Veterans, by G.I. Jobs Top 100 and CivilianJobs.com- Apply.
Wolf Administration Funds Carter Lumber Expansion in York:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Carter Lumber, a building materials retailer, selected York County to establish its first manufacturing operation in Pennsylvania. The project will support the combined creation and retention of 212 jobs. “It’s with great pleasure that we welcome Carter Lumber’s manufacturing operation to the York region,” Governor Wolf said. “This is a great example of how public-private partnerships can strengthen our manufacturing sector and create new jobs for Pennsylvanians. Read more.
Federal Resume Training:
- July 19, 2019, two sessions offered, 9:30-11:30 a.m. or 1:30-3:30 p.m.- USO Building Area 14, Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County) Across from Strickler Field.- For questions, contact Sally Haught at 717-861-8602- This training is open to all individuals looking to apply for Federal Technician Title 32 or Title 5 civilian positions throughout the Pennsylvania National Guard. They will give an overall review of how to write an effective resume for the federal government and how to successfully navigate USA Jobs. Computer stations will be available for individuals who want to log into their USA Jobs account and personnel will be on hand to answer individual questions and provide support for writing your resume. No registration required.
FTIG Family Readiness Job Fair:
- July 20, 2019, 1-5 p.m.- Building 19-119, Ft. Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: Gail Sweigart FRSA at 717-861-9034 or email [email protected] - This event is open to all branches of the military, spouses and veterans.- Register.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Fort Indiantown Gap Offering Free Guided 2019 Tours Of Rare Regal Fritillary Butterfly Habitat:
- July 12, 13, 2019, arrive no later than 9:30 a.m.- Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County), parking (Strickler Field: GPS coordinates in decimal degrees North 40.439388, West -76.594278)- For more information about the tours email [email protected] or call (717) 861-3299- This July, visitors are invited to see the only population of regal fritillary butterfly in the eastern United States at Fort Indiantown Gap National Guard Training Center, Annville, PA (Lebanon County). The tours allow the public a guided opportunity to see this rare butterfly and its associated grassland habitat on military training ranges. Read more.
Free Gardening Workshops For Veterans:
- All workshops, 10 a.m.-noon: July 11, basic botany; July 18, soil health and fertilizer management; July 25, plant propagation; Aug. 1, vegetable garden- Penn State Extension, 101 Motor Pool Way, Butler, PA (Butler County)- Space is limited and first come, first serve. Veterans must register for each workshop before attending. Please call 878-271-6484 to register.- Are you interested in gardening? Do you like to plant flowers, vegetables or fruit? Do you want to learn research-based and sustainable horticultural practices? If you said yes, these workshops are for you. The workshops will be hands-on and educational. All supplies will be provided for each workshop.
Yoga And Smoothies:
- July 13 and 21, 2019, 10 a.m.- Veterans Leadership Program, 2934 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- R.S.V.P. to Patti at 412-254-3194 or email [email protected] - Yoga, smoothies and healthy conversation for women veterans and Veterans Service Organization's (VSO's). FREE childcare provided onsite!
Veteran Town Hall:
- July 16, 2019, 2 p.m.- 7th floor LVA auditorium, Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center, 3900 Woodland Ave., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Point of contact: Jonathan Hodges at 215-823-5916 or email [email protected]
Welcome Home Event For Post 9/11 Veterans:
- July 16, 2019, 7 p.m.- Pullman Park, 100 Pullman Park Pl., Butler, PA (Butler County)- R.S.V.P. to Leigh MacAllister at 878-271-6120 or Amy Kunst at 878-271-6119. You may also contact them for additional information.- All Post 9/11 veterans and their families are invited to join the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Butler for the annual welcome home event at a local baseball game. A suite has been reserved for veterans and their families, and information will be available about VA eligibility, enrollment and VA programs/services.
The Eyes Of Freedom Nationally Traveling Military Tribute:
- July 17-21, 2019, Wed.-Sat., 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Sun., Noon-5 p.m.- Bayfront Convention Center, 1 Sassafras Pier, Erie, PA (Erie County)- The Eyes of Freedom honors the service and sacrifice of all who answer the nation's call then, now and tomorrow.- Website.
Jefferson County Veterans Emergency Fund Fundraiser:
- July 24, 2019, 4-9 p.m.- Fox's Pizza Den, 1 Broadway St., Reynoldsville, PA (Jefferson County)- The Fox's Pizza Den will be donating 20 percent of all sales for carry out and dine in orders from 4-9 p.m. to help raise money for the Jefferson County Veterans Emergency Fund.- To place your take out order call 814-612-2720 or dine in.
Military Discharge Upgrade Clinic:
- July 25, 2019, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.- Lebanon VA Medical Center, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Building 37, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Make an appointment today at 202-733-3324 or email [email protected] - Do you have an other than honorable discharge? Meet with an attorney for free. Free representation for veterans with other than honorable discharges related to PTSD, traumatic brain injury, or similar mental health conditions.
On To Mt. Gretna – Camp Hastings 1898:
- July 27-28, 2019, ceremony for Soldiers Field, Mt. Gretna (Lebanon County) 10 a.m. Saturday- Come to Soldiers Field and catch a glimpse of Camp Hastings during the Spanish American War. Volunteers will be providing a living history program on the mobilization of the National Guard of Pennsylvania in the spring of 1898.- For more information please visit the NGP History Project Website and Facebook page.
Veterans Emergency Fund Dice Run:
- July 27, 2019, Registration 10 a.m., Kick stands up 11 a.m.- Reynoldsville Eagles, 425 E. Main St., Reynoldsville, PA (Jefferson County)- Point of contact: Krupa Steele at 814-849-1529 or Ben Steele at 814-661-0360- 100 percent of fundraiser proceeds go to support local veterans and their families by assisting in their financial needs. This run helps raise money and awareness to provide our vets with food, shelter and utilities. You are invited to participate in this worthy cause to help ensure that no veteran goes hungry or homeless. $10 a person. Annual pig roast $5. Camping available and covered dish appreciated. 468 Sandy Valley Rd., Reynoldsville, PA (Jefferson County). All donations are greatly appreciated. Please make checks payable to: Jefferson Co. Abate (Memo: Jefferson Co. Veterans Affairs). Checks can be mailed to: Jefferson Co. Dept. Veterans Affairs, 155 Main St., Brookville, PA 15825.
Veteran Appreciation Day:
- July 31, 2019, 9 a.m.- PA CareerLink of Greene County, 200 Green Plaza, Waynesburg, PA (Greene County)- The PA CareerLink of Greene County is having a veteran appreciation day. They will have event speakers and employers on hand to do open interviews. Please bring your DD214, resume and transcripts.- Register.
26th Annual Bucktail Reunion:
- Aug. 2-4, 2019- Myerstown Park, 450 S. College St., Myerstown, PA (Lebanon County)- For more information or to register contact Matt Herring at 978-979-8462 or email [email protected] The Bucktail community of Myerstown will remember and honor the service and sacrifice of the courageous Bucktail Brothers. The Ol't Boys have guided us to this Bucktail Town for a reunion for the first time, home of 149th PA, Company C, known as the Color Company, which so bravely engaged in combat the first days battle at Gettysburg and would forever be recollected with "The Color Episode."- Facebook page.
Rivers Casino 10 Charities In 10 Weeks:
- Aug. 3, 2019, Noon-8 p.m.- Rivers Casino, 777 Casino Dr., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Donate $10 to the Southwestern Veterans' Center and receive $10 Free slot play or match play!
Veteran's Open House:
- Aug. 7, 2019 10 a.m.-3 p.m.- The Salvation Army Ladore Lodge, 398 S. St., Waymart, PA (Wayne County)- Any questions contact 570-488-6129- Veteran's open house to honor all veterans. Motorcycle show and classic car show. Trophies awarded and flea market. Consider joining us as veterans from surrounding communities come together for a day of fellowship and fun.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo:
- Aug. 24, 2019, 9 a.m.-noon- Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, PA (Luzerne County)- Call Crystal A. Petery at 717-861-6904 or email [email protected] - Led by the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, The Governor's Advisory Council on Veterans Services is inviting women veterans and those actively serving to a FREE Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo. Learn about programs and services available to you, speak with representatives and pick up resources. No registration is required and the event is open to women veterans and women service members. We hope to see you there!- Press release.
Walk With A Veteran:
- Sept. 19, 2019, starting at 9 a.m.- U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, 950 Soldiers Dr., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)- For more information or to R.S.V.P. please contact Jeff Hawks at 717-258-1102 or email [email protected]. Space is limited.- Veterans of all eras and services are invited to attend. Several hundred middle school students will attend to meet veterans and tour the center in small groups. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Pennsylvania's First All Female Veteran Call To Duty – Honor Flight Philadelphia:
- Sept. 21, 2019- Washington, D.C.- For trip details call 215-301-8890 or 215-954-5634 or email [email protected] - Honor Flight Philadelphia is currently looking for female veterans who would like to join a trip to Washington in a day of honor and recognition, to view the memorials dedicated to their service at no cost to the veteran.- Honor Flight Facebook page.