Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Armories, Keystone Conference Center Available For Rentals:
Pennsylvanians who want to host a community function can consider one of 62 Pennsylvania National Guard armories, readiness centers throughout the state, or the Keystone Conference Center located in Annville (Lebanon County). Maintained by the DMVA, the armories/readiness centers serve as local training facilities for members of the Pennsylvania National Guard. When not being used for training, many are available to be rented by the public. To inquire about availability or to rent an armory/readiness center, please call the Office of Facilities and Engineering at 717-861-8581 or send an email to [email protected]
Fort Indiantown Gap Announces Free Guided 2019 Tours Of Rare Regal Fritillary Butterfly Habitat:
This July, visitors are invited to see the only population of regal fritillary butterflies in the eastern United States at Fort Indiantown Gap National Guard Training Center, Annville, Lebanon County. The tours allow the public a guided opportunity to see this rare butterfly and its associated grassland habitat on military training ranges. Read more.
National Guard Members Speak On PA GI Bill After It Passes In State House Vote:
A bill that Gov. Tom Wolf introduced earlier this year to help support National Guard families’ members passed in the House earlier this month. The bill offers additional benefits to soldiers and their families. Officials say it will help keep more soldiers who have experience on board -- as the requests for them increase. Read more.
Gov. Wolf – Paying Tribute To The Fallen Is Our Duty On Memorial Day:
Governor Tom Wolf today offered his gratitude for and remembrance of those who have sacrificed all for our commonwealth and our country. “Far too often we forget that we enjoy lives of freedom because our men and women in uniform are always there, protecting us, with many giving their lives, sacrificing all,” Wolf said. Read more.
Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home To Hold Open House (Blair County):
Veterans and their spouses looking for a warm and welcoming place to live and who have health care needs are invited to an OPEN HOUSE at the Hollidaysburg Veterans’ Home (HVH) at 138 Veterans Blvd., Duncansville, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, June 11. The HVH is one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA). Read more: Read more.
Gino J. Merli Veterans’ Center To Hold Open House (Lackawanna County):
If you are a veteran or the spouse of a qualified veteran with health care needs, please stop by the Gino J. Merli Veterans’ Center (GMVC), located at 401 Penn Ave., Scranton, from 1 to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, June 12 to discuss the long-term care options available to you. The GMVC is celebrating 25 years of caring for veterans and is one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA). Read more: Read more.
Pennsylvania Soldiers’ And Sailors’ Home To Hold Open House (Erie County):
The public is invited to an open house at the Pennsylvania Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home (PSSH) at 560 East Third St., Erie from 1-4 p.m. on Wednesday, June 12. The PSSH is one of six veterans homes operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA). Read more.
Adjutant General Attends Service Of Repatriated Soldier Staff Sgt. Carl M. Shaffer Killed In 1944 During WWII:
Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, Pennsylvania’s adjutant general and head of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, participated in a graveside service for repatriated Army Air Force Staff Sgt. Carl M. Shaffer who was killed in 1944 during WWII. Shaffer, who was 22 when he died, was buried in his hometown of Pottstown, Montgomery County. Read more.
Around the State
Armstrong County Creates Court Program To Help Veterans Get Back On Track:
The mission is for veterans to get their life back on track after they get in trouble with the law. Armstrong County Common Pleas Court launched Veterans Treatment Court to combat what county officials described as a growing number of veterans going through the criminal justice system. Years in the making, Armstrong County’s program is the 21st such specialized court in Pennsylvania, officials said. Read more.
Belle Vernon World War II Combat Medic, Now 96, To Receive Military Honors:
A 96-year-old Belle Vernon (Fayette County) man will be honored for his service as a World War II combat medic in a campaign to liberate the Philippines. Felix J. Lisovich, who was a decorated staff sergeant and combat medic, will receive the Order of Military Medical Merit’s Regimental Honor Certificate and a letter of recognition signed by Lt. Gen. Nadja Y. West, U.S. Army surgeon general, in an upcoming ceremony at the Belle Vernon American Legion. Read more.
D-Day Veterans Sought Ahead Of Milestone Anniversary:
June 6 is the 75th anniversary of D-Day, which led to the liberation of Europe and the end of World War II. PennLive.com is planning online content surrounding the occasion starting May 30 and continuing over the following week. In addition, The Patriot-News is planning a special D-Day section on June 2, with additional copy to appear in the June 4 and June 6 editions. Read more.
Franklin Regional Student Documentary Earns National Award:
When Colten Oakes, a member of Franklin Regional Senior High School’s (Westmoreland County) broadcasting and video production class, got his camera out at the traveling Vietnam War memorial in Murrysville Community Park, he couldn’t help thinking of his grandfather, whose dog tags were hanging around Oakes’s neck. “We were there to do a job,” Oakes said of him and fellow class members, who were creating a short documentary about the wall. Read more.
George Handwerk Receives Quilt Of Valor:
Zion Lutheran Church Ladies Aid Society presented its sixth handmade Quilt of Valor to Vietnam War veteran and Zion Lutheran Church member George F. Handwerk in honor of his service to “God, country, and community.” The Stoystown, PA (Somerset County) resident received the quilt following Sunday services on May 12 at Zion Lutheran Church in Garrett County, MD. Other veterans and several of Handwerk’s friends and family members were in attendance. Read more.
House Of Heroes Has Beds Available In Dauphin County:
House of Heroes is meant to serve as transitional housing for women to acclimate from military to civilian life. More often than not, this can be a difficult time for veterans, so housing accommodations range from a six to 18 months stay, providing many benefits, which include PTSD support groups, life skills classes, recreational therapies, weekly counseling, and more. Please contact Ally Murr at 717-884-5493 or email [email protected] for more information.
Korean War Veterans Receive Peace Medal:
In a room filled with family, friends, and elected officials at Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport (Lycoming County), 70 Korean War veterans from central Pennsylvania were honored for their service. Each veteran received the Korean Ambassador for Peace Medal. Read more.
New Castle Named Most Patriotic City In PA:
The results are in! According to a report, New Castle, PA (Lawrence County) is the most patriotic city in Pennsylvania and among the most patriotic in the nation. Read more.
Pennsylvania Man Driving Across The Country On Tractor To Raise Awareness For Veterans Issues:
A Pennsylvania man is driving a restored antique tractor across the country to raise awareness for veterans issues. Ivan Stoltzfus is driving a 1948 John Deere tractor equipped with a Peterbilt truck cab named "Jonabuilt." He’s raising money and awareness for the group Operation Second Chance. Read more.
This Young Penn Doctor Joined The Military Because Of The Grandfather Who Told Him Not To:
Even as a boy, Shaun McLaughlin dreamed of joining the military. His grandfather, a World War II veteran, was against it. “I fought so you wouldn’t have to,” he said. Read more.
World War II Veteran Receives Surprise Reunion At Book Signing In Pennsylvania:
A World War II veteran was honored by his hometown of Lehighton, PA (Carbon County) for his heroic efforts, but the evening also included a surprise reunion for 95-year-old Clarence Smoyer. "And I never got around to meet you, but I would like to meet you now," said 94-year-old Earl Bridygham. This was the moment where two World War II veterans reconnected in a surprise reunionRead more.
Across the Nation
Deals For Military And Veterans:
Free admission to more than 2,000 museums and a 90 percent discount on ski passes to Vail Resorts are just a couple of the deals available to active duty military as well as veterans. Read more.
Disabled Veterans Eligible For Free National Park Service Lifetime Access Pass:
Many veterans with a service connected disability rating are entering federal parks for free with the Lifetime National Parks Access Pass from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service. The Access Pass also admits disabled passengers in their vehicle, and other discounts such as camping, swimming, board launching, and guided tours. Read more.
In Torrential Storms, Tomb Sentinel Places Flags At Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier:
Last Thursday, Arlington, VA was hit hard with rain and wind with gusts up to 70 mph, but that didn't stop one man from honoring the fallen. A Tomb Sentinel withstood torrential rains and wind gusts to honor the fallen at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Sgt. Maryam Treece was there to witness the moment. Read more.
Lowe’s New Partnerships To Help Veterans With Job Training, Housing And More:
Lowe’s Home Improvement just announced new partnerships with three military service organizations designed to help veterans in multiple aspects of their transitions. The United Service Organizations, American Veterans and Operation FINALLY HOME can now all connect the veterans they work with to the resources Lowe’s has in place for job training, affordable housing and educational scholarships. Read more.
VA Now Transplanting Kidneys That Are Positive For Hepatitis C:
Underscoring its mission of improving the quality of life for veterans, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) recently began offering a new option to patients awaiting kidney transplants. Read more.
White House VA Hotline Surpasses 250,000 Calls From Veteran Community:
Pledged by President Donald J. Trump as part of his administration’s commitment to reforming the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), as of May 14, the White House VA Hotline has answered more than 250,195 calls since it went live June 1, 2017. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
General Dynamics Land Systems Is Hiring A CNC Machine Operator:
General Dynamics is a global aerospace and defense company. From Gulfstream business jets and combat vehicles to nuclear-powered submarines and communications systems, people around the world depend on General Dynamics products and services for their safety and security. For more information, email Jerilyn White at [email protected], and to apply visit Website.
Governor Wolf — 400 New Jobs Coming To Columbia County:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that WebstaurantStore, Inc., an online restaurant supply company, will construct a new fulfillment center, creating at least 400 new, full-time jobs in Columbia County. “We’re thrilled to have helped WebstaurantStore bring new jobs to Columbia County,” said Governor Wolf. “We applaud Webstaurant for continuing to invest in the commonwealth, and for their contribution to make Pennsylvania a better place to live, work, and play.”Read more.
Harley-Davidson Expansion Project To Wrap Up In July, Bringing 450 Jobs:
York County is expected to see an economic boost come early July as Harley-Davidson wraps up its $150 million expansion project at its plant in Springettsbury Township. A spokeswoman for Harley-Davidson confirmed the expansion project which is expected to conclude in the next two months. Read more.
Hertz Is Hiring:
Hertz is hiring at the Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Scranton airports. They are in need of a diesel mechanic in Philadelphia as well as an auto mechanic in Pittsburgh. Apply to the position first and follow up by sending an email to Erica Schwarz at [email protected] to guarantee priority consideration. Apply!
Pathways To Placement For Veterans And Families:
Pathways to Placement for Veterans & Families is a career readiness program that aims to serve those who have served us. Veterans and their families are invited to participate in a four-five week program designed to provide a solid foundation in the skills needed for today's job market. For more information, contact: Hoa Pham at 215-985-3220 x 217 or email [email protected] Interest form.
VA’s Nursing Scholarship Helped Staff Development Specialist Meg Summey Advance Her Education While Serving Veterans:
Continuous learning is an essential component of providing top-notch healthcare for veterans. At the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), employees are strongly encouraged to pursue their higher education goals through a variety of scholarships. Read more.
Veterans Employment Representative 1 - Lebanon County:
As a veterans' employment representative 1, you will serve as a disabled veterans' outreach program specialist (DVOP) in a PA CareerLink career center. You will provide employment services to disabled veterans as well as veterans facing significant barriers to employment. Apply!
Veterans Employment Representative 2 - Venango County:
As a veterans' employment representative 2, you will serve as a local veterans' employment representative (LVER) in a PA CareerLink® career center. You will conduct outreach to employers and business associations and engage in advocacy efforts to increase employment opportunities for veterans. Apply!
Veterans Temple Teacher Residency:
Temple Teacher Residency is a teacher education program devoted to preparing diverse and highly-motivated individuals with strong mathematics and science subject knowledge to teach mathematics and/or science in high-need schools in the City of Philadelphia. There is an interest in working with veterans who see themselves fit in the program. Transform your love of STEM into a purposeful career! Apply to TTR today! Any questions please contact Dr. Amy Scallon at 215-204-1518 or email [email protected]
Waste Management Hiring CDL Driver Rolloff:
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information - Requirements: One year previous experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving within the last seven years. Must be at least 21 years old and hold a current Class A or B CDL with air brake endorsement. This position is eligible for a $3,000 sign-on bonus. - Waste Management has been recognized as Best Employer of Veterans, by the following Military Times Top 75 "Best for Vets Employer", G.I. Jobs Top 100 "Military Friendly Employer" and CivilianJobs.com "Most Valuable Employer-Military." - Apply.
Veterans’ Expo & Job Fair – Berks County:
- May 30, 2019, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. - Crowne Plaza Reading Hotel, 1741 Papermill Rd., Wyomissing, PA (Berks County) - Any questions please call 717-285-1350 - The Veterans’ Expo connects active and retired military members of all ages and their families with the benefits and resources available to them. Covering everything from home improvement, legal services, finance, retirement living and insurance. The job fair will also provide an opportunity for veterans and employers to meet face-to-face to discuss available positions. Workshops and seminars will be offered on relevant topics. - Website.
Veteran And Armed Forces Career And Resource Fair – Pittsburgh Region:
- June 5, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. - Omni William Penn Hotel, 530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County) - Free Career and resource fair open to all service members, veterans, dependents, and spouses. This event will host over 80 employers and resource organizations. Some of the city's largest employers have opportunities waiting for you, from entry-level roles to advanced roles. - Register.
The PA Office Of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) Job Fair:
- June 12, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. - Harrisburg OVR Office, 555 Walnut St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County) - For more information about this opportunity, please contact Jeff Dreibelbis at 717-346-2778 or email [email protected] or Ron Davis at 717-346-2788 or email [email protected] - The OVR job fair is a great opportunity to meet employers.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Facebook Live Event – More Choices For Veteran Care:
- May 30, 2019, 4:30 p.m (EST) - The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is strengthening its ability to provide veterans with state-of-the-art care and services. Beginning next month, veterans will have more health care choices than ever. Join the #ExploreVA Facebook Live event to learn about the coming changes, and what you must do before you can access care from a local provider in your community. Listen as representatives from veteran service organizations and VA discuss the new guidelines for accessing these services. - Register.
Mack Defense Introduces M917A3 Heavy Dump Truck At Showcase For Commerce:
- May 29-31, 2019 - Johnstown, PA (Cambria County) - Point of contact: email Derik Beck at [email protected] - Mack Defense will display its M917A3 heavy dump truck (HDT) with an armored cab for the first time in public during this year’s 29th annual Showcase for Commerce, a nationally renowned business and industry trade show and defense contracting exhibition. - For more information, please visit Volvo.
Veterans' Expo & Job Fair – Berks County:
VA Information And Enrollment Fair:
- May 30, 2019, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. - Lebanon VA Medical Center, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County) - Questions about the event call, 717-272-6621, ext. 4298 - Veterans will have the opportunity to register for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care during the event. Those interested in on-the-spot enrollment should bring their DD 214, 2018 income tax return or 2018 income information and 2018 out-of-pocket household medical expenses. The free event is open to the public and will feature numerous informational displays highlighting: suicide prevention, women’s health, clinical services, our community clinics, pharmacy services, telehealth, visual impairment and rehab services, Veterans employment, and environmental exposure programs.
Korean War Traveling Memorial:
- May 31, 2019, and June 1 and 2, 2019, Open 24 hours - Greene County Fairgrounds, 107 Fairgrounds Rd., Waynesburg, PA (Greene County) - Point of contact: Rick Black at 724-998-0598 - Everyone is welcome and admission is free. Donations benefit Greene County Salute to Veterans Memorial Wall.
SAFE Talk Training:
- May 31, 2019, 2-9 p.m. - PNC Park, 115 Federal St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County) - Point of contact: Shawn Seguin at 904-654-9029 or email [email protected] - Registration Deadline is May 30, 2019. Open seats for SAFE TALK training hosted by Wounded Warrior Project will first be offered to veterans, active duty, reserves, and family support members. All others will be put on a wait-list in case the course does not fill up. This class is set for a longer period, as attendees will be invited to attend a Pirates game after the training.
Comedy Improv Workshop For Veterans And Their Families:
- May 31, 2019, 6:30-9 p.m. - 1311 Santee Mill Rd., Bethlehem, PA (Northampton County) - Point of contact: Jenny Pacanowski at 570-269-7528 or email [email protected] - Are you a veteran or family member looking for a creative outlet or a fun way to de-stress? Women Veterans Empowered & Thriving presents a free comedy improv workshop provided for veterans of all eras and their families! In this workshop, participants will gain confidence, and learn to think on their feet in a low-pressure environment. - Website.
Rep. Thomas Murt Military Family Info Day:
- June 1, 2019, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. - Home Depot Parking Lot, 2250 Easton Rd., Willow Grove, PA (Montgomery County) - Visit the website to see the list of organizations that are attending the event. - Website.
Scranton Vet Center Open House:
- June 1, 2019, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. - The Scranton Vet Center, 1002 Pittston Ave., Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County) - Point of contact: Kathy Sabbitini at 570-344-2676 or [email protected] - There will be various organizations offering veteran support services and family fun! - Website.
Veterans of Foreign Wars And Student Veterans Of America Town Hall:
- June 2, 2019, 1:30-3 p.m. - Hamburg Municipal Building, Civic Meeting Room, 61 N. 3rd St., Hamburg, PA (Berks County) - Point of contact: Tammy Barlet at 610-621-8918 or email [email protected] - Join VFW Wagner-Good Post and 2019 VFW-SVA Legislation Fellow Tammy Barlet where they will discuss newly introduced legislation, the experience of being a policy fellow, and VFW’s Priority Goals for 2019. - Register.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST):
- June 5-6, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. - 235 Beaver Dr., DuBois, PA (Clearfield County) - ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop, ASIST can be learned and used by anyone. - Register.
Legal And Domestic Relations Clinic:
- June 7, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon - Lebanon VA Medical Center, Building 18, 3rd Floor Conference Room, 1700 South Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County) - For more information, please contact Carla Cyr at 717-304-1883 - Clinics are presented by the PA Bar Association, Lebanon County Domestic Relations and Dauphin County Domestic Relations. Veterans with legal and/or domestic relations issues in ALL counties are welcome to attend.
Millersville VFW Post 7294 Car Show:
- June 8, 2019, Noon-4 p.m. - Millersville VFW Post 7294, Walnut Hill Rd., Millersville, PA (Lancaster County) - For any questions, call John Miller at 717-288-5674 - Fun, music, food trophies, dash plaques for first 25 entries. All proceeds go to Hogs and Heroes Foundation and the VFW Auxiliary relief fund. $15 Entry Fee. - Facebook event.
Open House At Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home:
- June 11, 2019, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. - Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home, 138 Veterans Blvd., Duncansville, PA (Blair County) - Point of contact: Kim Vandevander at 814-696-5352 or email [email protected] - Take a tour, meet the staff, enjoy refreshments, participate in activities and experience the comradery of fellow veterans. Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home is operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. - Read more.
Open House At Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center:
- June 12, 2019, 1-4 p.m. - Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center, 401 Penn Ave., Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County) - Point of contact: Sarah Butler at 570-961-4348 or email [email protected] - Take a tour, meet the staff, enjoy refreshments, participate in activities and experience the comradery of fellow veterans. Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center is operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. - Read more.
Open House At Pennsylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home:
- June 12, 2019, 1-4 p.m. - Pennylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home, 560 East Third St., Erie, PA (Erie County) - Point of contact: Laurie Rice at 814-878-4939 or email [email protected] - Take a tour, meet the staff, enjoy refreshments, participate in activities and experience the comradery of fellow veterans. Pennsylvania Soldiers' And Sailors' Home is operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. - Read more.
Open House At Southeastern Veterans' Center:
- June 13, 2019, 6-8 p.m. - Southeastern Veterans' Center, One Veterans Dr., Spring City, PA (Chester County) - Point of contact: Jill Alwine at 610-948-2406 or email [email protected] - Take a tour, meet the staff, enjoy refreshments, participate in activities and experience the comradery of fellow veterans. Southeastern Veterans' Center is operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. - Read more.
Boots To Business Reboot:
- June 14, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. - 411 Seventh Ave., Suite 1450, Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County) - Point of contact: Jonathan Bennett at 412-395-6560, ext. 107 or email [email protected] - Boots to Business is an entrepreneurial education and training program offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration as part of the Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program. The course provides an overview of entrepreneurship and applicable business ownership fundamentals. Active duty service members (including National Guard and Reserve), veterans of all eras and spouses are eligible to participate. - Register.
Female Veteran Support Group:
- Tuesday evenings, 5-6 p.m. - Calvary Chapel, 740 Willow St., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County) - For more information, please contact B.J. Snader at 717-283-0735 or email [email protected] - This support group is for all women who have served, to discuss a variety of topics.