Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Adjutant General Addresses State VFW Annual Loyalty Day Event:
Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, Pennsylvania’s Adjutant General and head of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA), spoke about loyalty in the military during the state VFW’s annual Loyalty Day event at the state capitol. “Everyone who ever took the oath and wore the uniform has essentially declared their loyalty to protecting our nation’s freedom,” said Carrelli. Read more. Read more.
Governor Wolf Thanks Legislators For Unveiling His PA GI Bill:
Governor Tom Wolf thanked legislators for unveiling his PA GI bill to support Pennsylvania National Guard members’ families in their post-secondary education pursuits. Read more.
Job Fair – Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home:
DMVA's Hollidaysburg Veterans' Home, 500 Municipal Dr., Hollidaysburg, PA (Blair County), will hold a job fair on Wednesday, May 1 and Thursday, May 2, 2019. Opportunities for employment include: certified nurse aide, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse and registered nurse supervisor. Read more.
Share Your Memorial Day Events:
As a service to Pennsylvania’s veteran community, the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is committed to sharing information about veteran or military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania, via the DMVA DIGEST. We encourage you to submit your Memorial Day events, parades and ceremonies. To submit an upcoming Memorial Day event being held in Pennsylvania, please email [email protected] with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.). If you have questions about submitting your event, contact Erica Moore at 717-861-9178 or email [email protected].
Around the State
A Slice Of Military Life – Former Soldier's Art On Display:
After capturing the moments that made up the lives of the citizen soldiers serving as part of 56th Stryker Brigade, one former Pennsylvania National Guard member is sharing more than 100 of his photographs with the public this weekend. On Sunday from 1-7:30 p.m., the Pennsylvania National Guard Readiness Center at 518 Municipal Drive, Duncansville (Blair County), will become a gallery for about 123 photographs by Sgt. Joseph W. Brown taken during his 11 years of service. He has titled the exhibit “Hurry Up & Wait.” Read more.
Antietam Humane Society Joins Pet-Adoption Program For Veterans:
The Antietam Humane Society recently partnered with Pets for Patriots Inc., a nonprofit pet-adoption program for U.S. military veterans. Working with Pets for Patriots, the humane society will give local veterans, active-duty military members and their families the gift of unconditional love while providing overlooked dogs and cats with a second chance at life. Read more.
Artificial Intelligence Tool Can Detect PTSD From Patient Voices, Study Suggests:
A computer program can analyze the voices of war veterans and determine which of them has post-traumatic stress disorder with 89 percent accuracy, according to a study. The results suggest voice could be a biomarker for PTSD, providing the basis for an objective test to diagnose the disease. Read more.
Free Wellness Retreat For Women Veterans:
As Adagio Health embarks on a new initiative to provide needed health and wellness services to women veterans in western Pennsylvania, the Highmark Foundation has stepped in to support new outreach efforts to this population. Among those efforts is a spring wellness retreat that will be held in Erie, PA on May 4, 2019. Read more.
Local Marine Killed In Afghanistan Memorialized As Patriot, Hero:
Looking to pay their respects to Staff Sgt. Benjamin Hines, hundreds of mourners walked through the front door of Christian Life Assembly in Camp Hill (Cumberland County). At those doors, they were greeted by a line of patriots, each holding an American Flag, which rippled in the wind. The red, white and blue of those flags would become a theme throughout the memorial. Read more.
National Guard, Police To Destroy Unused Prescription Drugs In Collection Effort:
Four out of five people who use heroin start out on prescription drugs. Preventing that from happening is one reason the Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs is working with the Pennsylvania National Guard and police to get rid of unused narcotics and other drugs. Read more.
PA National Guard Member Deploying To Poland To Support NATO:
Summertime is just around the corner, and for many 25-year-olds, that means parties, vacations and fun. For Marcus Borowsky, of Port Allegany (McKean County), it means a trip across the Atlantic Ocean as part of NATO’s Enhanced Forward Presence mission. Sgt. Borowsky is a member of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard, and he is in Texas, preparing to deploy to Poland for a year. Read more.
Pennsylvania National Guard Members Receive Awards For Heroism:
Lacey Coleman, with Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, presented the Sikorsky Rescue Award to UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crew members who performed lifesaving rescues during flooding in Pennsylvania and after Hurricane Florence in South Carolina last year. Read more.
The Inspector General Honors Civilians Of The Year:
The Army named three of its civilians as 2018 Army Inspector General Civilians of the Year. Lt. Gen. Leslie C. Smith, the 66th inspector general of the U.S. Army, presented the Civilian Service Commendation Medal and a plaque commemorating the event to each honoree. Read more.
Union Native Helps Veterans With Warrior Music:
Michael Caimona, a graduate of Union High School (Clarion County) and Westminster College (Lawrence County), founded the Warrior Music Foundation to provide active duty military, veterans and their families free music lessons and therapy. Read more.
Across the Nation
A Run For The Troops, With The Troops:
Army veteran Kevin Bittenbender cruised over the finish line strapped into his hand-cycle, one of the first finishers in the 9th annual Run for the Troops 5K in Andover, Mass. But for Bittenbender, 54, the time wasn’t what mattered. He drove five hours from Pennsylvania to participate in his second Run for the Troops event. Read more.
A WWII Marine Died With No Living Relatives, Hundreds Honored Him At His Funeral:
Hundreds filled a church recently for Bob Graham, a World War II Marine Raider who died this month at a nursing home with no relatives alive to honor him. So, men in blue jackets from VFW Post 2285 Eastchester, NY and American Legion Post 1009 Yorktown, NY and others lined pews inside St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in New York. Read more.
Bookmark The Survivor And Burial Benefits Kit:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) survivors and burial benefits kit is a great source of pre-need planning for veterans and their families. It includes information on end of life and survivors benefits, eligibility, and when and how to apply for them. Read more.
Code Of Support Foundation Offers Free Access To Veteran Resources:
The Code of Support Foundation provides essential and critical one-on-one assistance to struggling service members, veterans and their families with the most complex needs. One of their goals is to integrate service members, veterans and families into a searchable, vetted, on-line platform that makes direct connections to resources and services. Read more.
Supreme Court Delays Final Ruling On ‘Blue Water’ Vietnam Veterans Benefits:
The Supreme Court this week granted a 30-day extension to U.S. Department of Justice officials contemplating an appeal of a lower court ruling in January which extended presumptive benefits to tens of thousands of Navy veterans who have claimed exposure to toxic chemical defoliants during the Vietnam War. Read more.
The GI Bill Turns 75 Years Old:
June 22, 2019, marks the 75th Anniversary of the original GI Bill. This landmark legislation created low-cost home loans, education and vocational training benefits, and other programs and services for veterans. Read more.
This School Waives Out-Of-State Tuition For Vets:
The University of Mississippi, known better to college sports fans as Ole Miss, encourages veterans to attend with its Military Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship, which pays for the extra tuition that out-of-state students automatically incur. This scholarship is also available to the spouses and children of veterans if they meet certain requirements. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) And Cigna Partner To Help Prevent Opioid Misuse And Improve Treatment Of Veterans With Chronic Pain:
VA and Cigna, a global health service company, recently announced a new partnership to improve safety and quality of care for veterans with chronic pain, who are at risk for opioid misuse. The partnership educates veterans and their families, as well as the public and health care providers about safe opioid use. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Infertility Services Can Help Veterans And Their Families:
Infertility is a common problem for women in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 12 percent of women between 15 and 44 years old, have difficulty conceiving or carrying a pregnancy to term. During National Infertility Awareness Week, April 21-29, take this opportunity to share these resources with veterans you know. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Wants Your Input On The Mission Act:
1. What are the most important health care needs of veterans in your area now and in the future?; 2. If you were to redesign the VA health care system, what are the five most important changes, if any, you would like to suggest? 3. What are the top three to five recommendations you would make to help VA improve how it provides care to veterans who use VA health care?; 4. What changes, if any, would you recommend to how VA develops and modifies its surveys to veterans who use VA health care? Your responses to these questions will inform the strategic plan and surveys of veterans who use VA health care. To ensure your constituents' preferences and recommendations are taken into consideration as we develop and implement the strategic plan, please respond to this letter via email to [email protected] no later than May 10, 2019. Please email [email protected] with questions or for assistance.
U.S. National Guard Improving Bases In Poland And Romania:
National Guardsmen have started paving the way for future operations in Eastern Europe in a five-month military engineer mission to improve infrastructure at allied bases in the region. National Guard units from across the United States began the long process of building up Polish and Romanian training facilities as part of Operation Resolute Castle. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Afghanistan War Commander's Next Mission – Helping Female Veterans Start Businesses:
Retired Army Gen. John Nicholson, the longest-serving commander in America's longest war in Afghanistan, has been named head of the PenFed Foundation, with a goal of boosting business opportunities for female veterans. Read more.
Allied Universal Seeks Veterans For Moon Township (Allegheny County) Location:
Use your military skills and experience to land a Security Officer or Security Supervisor position in Moon Township. The service and sacrifice of military veterans is valued. Company core values mirror many military principles: trust, hard-work, and honesty. Visit PA CareerLink and search for job posting 13001273 or Allied Universal for more opportunities in additional locations.
Celebrating Veteran-Friendly Franchises With The HIRE Vets Medallion Award:
In 2018, Restoration 1 of Springfield (Delaware County) joined more than 230 U.S. employers in being recognized for their commitment to veteran hiring, retention, and professional development. The HIRE Vets Medallion Award is the only federal-level veterans employment award that recognizes employers for their investments in creating meaningful, long-lasting careers for veterans. Read more.
Comfort Suites Is Looking For Veterans:
- Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, 320 Milroy Rd., Hummelstown, PA (Dauphin County)- Current positions available include housekeepers, guest service agents, and more- To apply fill out an application online or stop by and apply in person.
Governor Wolf – AirBorn Expansion In Erie To Support Nearly 400 Jobs:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that AirBorn, Inc., a manufacturer of specialized electronics for the aerospace industry, will expand its facility in Lake City Borough, Erie County. The project will support the creation and retention of 389 jobs in the area. Read more.
Governor Wolf Announces Corey Associates Inc. Expansion Will Support 60 Jobs in Pike County:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Corey Associates, Inc. (CAI), a manufacturer of wiring systems for the medical, automotive, and defense industries, will expand its facility in Greene Township (Pike County). The project will support the creation and retention of 60 jobs in the area. “Our administration is committed to making Pennsylvania an economic leader by investing in the growth of companies like CAI,” Governor Wolf said. Read more.
Greater Philadelphia Veterans Network Veteran Career Success Group:
- May 4, 2019, 2:30-5:30 p.m., ending June 15, 2019 (six training sessions / three hrs each)- King of Prussia, PA (Montgomery County)- Any questions please email [email protected].- The Veteran Career Success Group challenges veterans to drill down on their job search activities and provides the necessary tools needed to succeed. In this job search accelerator program, veterans will meet once a week (in the morning) for six weeks to share best practices in a round-table format facilitated by regional job search experts. Upon successful completion, job seekers will have an opportunity with local veteran friendly employers. There are only 10 spots available. Apply today.
Hilton Garden Inn Is Hiring Veterans For New Beaver County Location:
Hilton Garden Inn is opening a new location in Beaver County and they need all positions filled. “Operation: Opportunity,” is a mission to hire 20,000 more veterans, spouses, and caregivers by 2020. With a company that values military experience, leadership, team-work, and dedication, Hilton Garden Inn has over 20 positions available with several shift opportunities. To apply, go to Pa CareerLink and search for Hilton Garden Inn.
The U.S. Post Office Is Looking To Hire Veterans:
The U.S. Post Office is hiring city carrier assistants and rural carrier assistants in Chester and Montgomery counties. All applicants must apply online as applications are not available at local post offices. All position information is available via: Website.
Veteran Employment Program:
The Veterans Multi-Service Center (VMC), Veteran Employment program is designated to serve veterans by developing, connecting and successfully assisting veterans in their transitions to new careers. The target clientele is newly retired or separating service members. VMC provides a common point of reference and shared understanding between veteran job seekers and employers. As a non-profit, they have the advantage of working directly with veteran job seekers and assisting employers in locating and tapping into a qualified candidate pool. The motivation to achieve a goals is fueled only by the desire to help veterans transition to successful and meaningful careers. Contact: Frank Bilbao, SHRM-CP at 215-644-3207 or email [email protected].
Waste Management Hiring Event For CDL Drivers And Mechanics In West Sunbury, PA:
- May 9, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.- 1436 West Sunbury Rd., West Sunbury, PA (Butler County)- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627- Waste Management has been recognized as best employer of veterans, by the following Military Times Top 75: "Best for Vets Employer"; G.I. Jobs Top 100 "Military Friendly Employer"; and CivilianJobs.com "Most Valuable Employer-Military." Apply.
Waste Management In Need Of Jr. Diesel Mechanics In Bristol, PA (Bucks County):
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: Six months relevant experience preferred, must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver's license and must have clean driving record. Annual tool and boot allowance and sign-on bonuses of up to $2,500 are available.- Waste Management has been recognized as Best Employer of Veterans, by the following Military Times Top 75: "Best for Vets Employer"; G.I. Jobs Top 100 "Military Friendly Employer"; and CivilianJobs.com "Most Valuable Employer-Military."- Apply.
Wegmans Asset Protection Is Looking To Hire Veterans:
Wegmans commitment is to provide incredible service, to which the foundation is ensuring customers, employees, and visitors feel safe and secure while operating on their grounds. As a Wegmans security officer, you will be part of the team of individuals who provide a safe environment throughout the retail service center distribution facility. The security officers play a key role in maintaining the safety of the Wegmans grounds by being a highly trained security professionals, skilled in key areas of Wegmans Asset Protection. For more information, contact Molly Clancy at 585-429-3458. Apply.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Vietnam Veterans of America Suicide Awareness event:
- May 1, 2019, 6:30-8 p.m., Crossroads Church, 5564 Business Route, 220, Bedford, PA (Bedford County); May 2, 2019, 2-3:30 p.m. and 6:30-8 p.m., Somerset Country Club, 416 Plank Rd., Somerset, PA (Somerset County)- Pre-Registration is appreciated but not required. To pre-register, send email with name, session attending, and number of people attending to [email protected].- Everyone is welcome to attend, male, female, military veterans and their families, non-veterans and their families, veteran organizations, EMTs, police, first responders, human resources personnel, nurses, doctors, and anyone dealing with a person in danger of harming himself or herself.
Free Legal Assistance Military Discharge Upgrades:
- May 2, 2019, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.- Pittsburgh VAMC H.J. Heinz Campus, Building 71, 1010 Delafield Rd., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Make an appointment today at 202-733-3324 or email [email protected] - Do you have an other than honorable discharge? Meet with an attorney for free! Free representation for veterans with other than honorable discharges related to PTSD, traumatic brain injury or similar mental health conditions.
Vietnam Veterans (Only) To Talk At Lower Dauphin High School:
- May 3, 2019, 7:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (you do not have to stay all day)- Lower Dauphin High School, 201 South Hanover St., Hummelstown, PA (Dauphin County)- Point of contact: Tess Stavensk at 717-566-5330 x 2063 or email [email protected]
A Wellness Retreat For Women Veterans:
- May 4, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.- Galbraith Mansion, The Women's Club of Erie, 259 West 6th St., Erie, PA (Erie County)- Free to all women who have served in the military. Educational workshops on health and wellness, purposeful storytelling for connection and healing, yoga, art therapy, essential oils and community resources for women veterans and their families.- Register or call 1-800-215-7494.
Let's Talk About Female Sexual Health:
- May 4, 2019, 10 a.m.-Noon- Norristown Vet Center, 320 E. Johnson Hwy. Ste. 201, Norristown, PA (Montgomery County)- R.S.V.P. to Camille at 215-823-5245- Join in to discuss pelvic floor disorder, lack of sex drive, menopause, painful intercourse, sex after pregnancy and other female sexual health topics. Presented by Norristown Vet Center in coordination with Alexandra Stoner, PA, DPT of Core3PT and Robin Grant, MSN, CNM of Tower Health Reading Birth Center. Must be 18 or older to attend!
Education Benefits Fair:
- May 4, 2019, 11 am. - 2 p.m.- Fort Indiantown Gap, Bldg 8-80, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: Gail Sweigart at 717-861-9034 or email [email protected] - Whether you have a child going to college or you are thinking of continuing your education, there is something for everyone! Come out and learn what benefits are available to you and your family.Register.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) Workshop:
- May 5, 2019, Noon-6 p.m., May 6, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.- Hunts For Healing, 3 Coburn Hill Rd., Laceyville, PA (Wyoming County)- ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first-aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop, ASIST can be learned and used by anyone. You must attend both days to receive a certificate.- Register.
Veterans Family Fishing Program:
- May 5, 2019, and May 19, 2019, 2-6 p.m.- Fisherman's Paradise, 1150 Spring Creek Rd., Bellefonte, PA (Centre County)- Point of contact: Jim H. Lanning at 951-231-8000 or email [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected] - All veterans and active duty military personnel, join the Spring Creek Chapter of Trout Unlimited talented stream mentors to learn fly fishing, improve your existing skills, and learn about conservation projects to keep streams and watersheds healthy and protected. Equipment is provided if needed. This is a family fishing program for veterans.- Facebook page.
Military Appreciation Breakfast:
- May 7, 2019 7:30 a.m.- Stone Ridge Poplar Run, 440 E. Lincoln Ave., Myerstown, PA (Lebanon County)- Recognize and celebrate the loyal individuals who have dedicated their lives to the various branches of the U.S. military. $10 for active or retired military, reserves or veterans. $20 civilian admission.
Veteran Memorial Garden Event:
- May 8, 2019, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.- 355 Saylor St., Schuylkill Haven, PA (Schuylkill Haven)- For more information contact [email protected].- Everyone is invited to come plant a flower in rememberance of a loved one.
Building The Bridge:
- May 10, 2019, 8 a.m.- Penn State Berks College, Reading, PA (Berks County)- Any questions, contact Christine Brubaker at 717-272-6621, ext. 5726 or email [email protected] - Building the Bridge recognizes that veteran-centered, recovery-oriented care requires both active and ongoing cooperation with veterans, caregivers, family members, community providers and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) providers. Please join for education, collaborative discussion and workgroup sessions to further develop, strengthen and sustain working relationships.- Register.
Second Annual Veterans Fly Fishing Event:
- May 11, 2019, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.- Foggy Mountain Lodge, 117 Foggy Mountain Ln., Stahlstown, PA (Westmoreland County)- Please pre-register with Larry Myers at [email protected] or call 724-454-9345 no later than May 4. Registration is FREE!- Veterans with disabilities are especially welcome. Adaptive equipment and instruction will be provided. Trout Unlimited will partner with Project Healing Waters and experienced mentors will be on hand to assist individuals of all levels of fishing experience with both fly and spinning rods. The lake will be well stocked with rainbow trout.- Website.
Gems Of The Military – OneSource Website: Resources For Getting Richer:
- May 15, 2019, 2-2:45 p.m.- Register for this interactive webinar by May 14, 2019. Register. - Military OneSource is pleased to offer this interactive webinar on topics important to you. You will be able to message your questions and comments during the events. Focused on resources to build wealth, tools for planning for retirement, accessing financial resources, all for free.
Amish Outlaws Benefit Concert For Folds Of Honor:
- May 16, 2019, 6 p.m.- Musikfest Café presented by Yuengling ArtsQuest Center, 101 Founders Way, Bethlehem, PA (Lehigh County)- Of the one million-plus dependents adversely affected by deployments, nearly nine out of 10 do not qualify for federal scholarship assistance. Since 2007, Folds of Honor has carried forth this singular, noble mission. To close the gap, they are providing educational support to spouses and children of America’s fallen and disabled service members.- Buy tickets.
Maj. Gen. Frank H. Smoker, Jr. 11th Annual Foxhole Invitational Golf Tournament:
- May 18, 2019, 8 a.m., shotgun start- Blue Mountain Golf Course, 628 Blue Mountain Rd., Fredericksburg, PA (Lebanon County)- For more information, contact Jamie at 717-813-7581 or email [email protected] - Four-person scramble, $280. Registration deadline May 8, 2019. Steak dinner included and prize giveaways! This event benefits the PA National Guard Military Museum.- Website.
Warriors On The Water:
- May 18, 2019, 8 a.m.- Octoraro Reserve, 212 Spruce Grove Rd., Kirkwood, PA (Lancaster County)- We are looking for volunteers and/or donations of prizes. If anyone owning a boat would like to take our heroes on the water, we would greatly appreciate it. Anyone interested please call Jim or Gina at 717-529-2488.- A day designed for fun, food, fishing and relaxing! This is for ALL of our military, active, retired, reserve and both local and state law enforcement and their family. Heroes On The Water will be providing free fishing kayaks to fish with them. Paddle. Fish. Heal. Jim's Live Bait & Tackle will be providing FREE motor boats, row boats and additional kayaks (first come first served, no reservations taken). Free rental rods and bait. We will host a free fishing demonstration for those who are interested. Free chow provided! A pig roast, pulled pork, Gi's Chili, hamburgers and hot dogs, cold salads and non alcoholic drinks. There will be raffles, prizes, *free kayak raffle (for Heroes & Warriors only), volleyball and corn hole.
3rd Annual Cambria County Hero Hike:
- May 18, 2019, 9 a.m.-Noon- The Hero Hike starts at the Nanty Glo Trailhead and will end at the Ebensburg Trailhead at noon, with a ceremony to follow.- Call Veteran Community Initiatives at 814-255-0355 to register- Donations are encouraged, but not required. Pre-register by May 3, with a $15 donation, and reserve a commemorative t-shirt. All donations are made to Veteran Community Initiatives, Inc., in support of our local veterans. Checks can be made payable to VCI and mailed to 727 Goucher St., Johnstown, PA 15905.
Army Heritage Day:
- May 18-19, 2019, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.- United States Army Heritage and Education Center, 950 Soldiers Dr., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)- Each year the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) hosts Army Heritage Days, a timeline living history event that features several hundred reenactors from all eras spread out over the one mile long Army Heritage Trail. Decked out in period uniforms and weapons, these living historians will have their historical equipment and weapons on display and will talk to the public and answer any history questions. This year’s focus will be on Operation Overlord and World War II. They will bring back old favorites, such as the veterans meet and greet, lectures by notable historians, the kid’s passport program, and informational programs by the reenactors on the Army Heritage Trail. The event will also feature a used book sale in the museum store.- Facebook event.
71st Berks County Armed Forces Day Parade:
- May 18, 2019, 10 a.m., rain or shine- Point of contact: Diane Price at 610-413-0020 or email [email protected] - The day begins with a free buffet breakfast from 7:30-8:30 a.m. at the Reading-Muhlenberg Career and Technology Center on Spring Valley Rd., Reading, PA (Berks County) for Parade participants, volunteers, and VIP’s. Following assembly in Wyomissing along Penn Avenue, the parade will begin in the 800 Block of Penn Ave. in Wyomissing, PA (Berks County).- Facebook event.
Keystone Base United States Submarine Veterans, Inc.:
- May 18, 2019, 1 p.m.- Indiantown Gap National Cemetery, RR 2 Indiantown Gap Rd. (Rt. 934), Annville, PA (Lebanon County), memorial pathway section 24D- R.S.V.P. to Earl Gee at [email protected] (preferred) or call 717-580-4514- We invite you and your friends to participate in the remembrance of lost shipmates at the Submarine Veterans of World War II Memorial.
Veteran Town Hall:
- May 21, 2019, 11 a.m.- Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center, 3900 Woodland Ave., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Point of contact: Jonathan Hodges at 215-823-5916 or email [email protected] - Crescenz VA Medical Center is hosting a veterans town hall at the main medical center and invites veterans and family members to attend and get updates on VA health care, benefits and burial information. Leadership from all three administrations in VA will be on hand to provide updates and answer questions.- Website.
Military Share Lebanon County:
- May 23, 2019, 2:30-4:30 p.m.- Fort Indiantown Gap, Fitzpatrick Hall, Building 10-104, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Pre-register by May 9 by contacting Roxie Norris 717-821-4684 or email [email protected] - Registration is required for MilitaryShare distribution. To improve the lives of our currently serving service members, veterans, retirees and their families by providing quality non-perishable food items and fresh produce.- Website.
Seeking Participants For Military Sexual Trauma Focus Group:
- Lehigh Valley Health Network, 17th St. School of Nursing Building, 1628 W. Chew St., Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- If you are interested in participating, contact Marilyn Kelly-Cavotta at 610-969-2081 or email [email protected] - Lehigh Valley Health Network’s Veteran Health program is developing educational programs and services for female veterans who have experienced military sexual trauma. If you are a woman who has experienced sexual trauma while actively serving in the military, we need your help.