Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Of Local Interest
Greensburg-Born Civil War Hero To Be Inducted Into Hall Of Valor:
A Civil War soldier from Greensburg (Westmoreland County) who received the Medal of Honor for his heroism in the waning days of the war will get long overdue local recognition when he is inducted into a hall of fellow heroes in Pittsburgh. Read more.
Stepping Up – Local Veterans Affair Offices Do A Great Job:
There are hardships that military veterans struggle with on a daily basis, and trying to navigate through the system of benefits should not be one of them. That’s why county Veterans Affairs offices are stepping up to help our area veterans and their surviving spouses. Read more.
Trout Stocking Season In Pennsylvania Has Arrived:
Have you ever wondered how all those wonderful trout make it into the streams and lakes in Pennsylvania? Well wonder no more! The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is currently stocking the streams and lakes for the 2019 trout season opening days and looking for volunteers to unload the trout from the trucks and place them in the waters. Trout stocking events are family friendly and happen in Westmoreland and counties across PA. Website.
The Michael Baker International Iraq Survivors Scholarship Fund:
The Michael Baker International Iraq Survivors Scholarship fund was created at The Pittsburgh Foundation to provide scholarships for children and spouses of U.S. service men and women who are currently in active service or have previously served in any U.S. war dating back to the U.S.-Iraq war declared in March of 2003. Read more and apply.
Still Looking For 10 Photos Of Pennsylvania Veterans Who Paid Ultimate Sacrifice In Vietnam:
To further honor and preserve the memory of our veterans for future generations, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in Washington, D.C. is leading an initiative to locate a photo for every U.S. service member who died during Vietnam. Please help find the remaining 10 photos from three Pennsylvania counties (Philadelphia, Montgomery, Lycoming). For information on how to submit a photo, visit: Read more.
Submit Employment Opportunities And Veteran Or Military Related Events To Be Included In The DMVA Digest:
As a service to Pennsylvania’s veteran community, the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is committed to sharing notices from employers who are interested in hiring veterans as well as sharing information about veteran or military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania, via the DMVA DIGEST. We encourage you to submit your event or employment opportunity for consideration to be included in the weekly Digest. To submit an employment opportunity, please email application details to [email protected]. To submit an upcoming veteran or military-oriented event being held in Pennsylvania, please email [email protected] with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.).
You Can Donate To DMVA's MFRAP Program Through A Tax Return Donation:
You can help PA’s military personnel and their families by donating part or all of your income tax refund to the Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP). Just Fill in code "C" for MFRAP and the amount of your donation on Lines 32-36 on your Personal Income Tax form. Contributions can also be made by mail. Read more.
Around the State
Distribution Center Opens To Nonprofits In Erie:
For Carla Storrs, director of client services for the Mercy Center for Women, a trip to the Veterans Miracle Center of Erie’s East 33rd Street facility allowed three of her agency’s clients to shop for items to furnish the homes they will soon move into. Read more.
Hauling "The Wall That Heals" Is A Powerful Experience For Truckers:
The reactions of two people stood out for Air Force veteran and trucker Steve Huling as he transported a traveling replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial across Pennsylvania. Read more.
How Biofeedback Is Helping Veterans:
It’s About the Warrior Foundation, is currently working with Bio-Conquest (Washington County), a health consultant company that analyzes a person’s physiological traits. "We use heart-rate variability biofeedback," said Mackenzie De Jesus, owner of Bio-Conquest, who was also a part of the conversation. “What we do is use feedback in real time from the body to help teach people and veterans how they can control these physiological processes that we think to be outside of our control," De Jesus explains. Read more.
Keeping The Legacy Of Carol Ann Drazba Alive:
When you think of the Vietnam War, the brave soldiers who sacrificed their lives probably come to mind. Yet, many women served too as nurses. In fact, one of the first women killed during the Vietnam War was from Lackawanna County." Read more.
Lebanon VAMC To Recognize Vietnam Veterans At Numerous South Central PA Events:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Lebanon VA Medical Center (VAMC) will recognize National Vietnam War Veterans Day with a number of ceremonies. Veterans who served between Nov. 1, 1955 to May 15, 1975, regardless of location, are eligible to receive a lapel pin from the VA as a memento of the country’s thanks for their service. There are a few ways that veterans can participate and receive their pin. Read more.
Monument Honors Veterans:
A slight breeze whipped American flags staked next to a new granite monument commemorating five Medal of Honor recipients with ties to Huntingdon County during a dedication ceremony. Read more.
Pennsylvania Breweries Collaborate On PA Vets Memorial Day Brew:
Breweries in Pennsylvania is proud to announce an all Pennsylvania veterans beer collaboration. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has a long-standing history of its residents serving this great nation through military service. Read more.
Veterans Gather For Day Of Bird Hunting And Camaraderie:
Eyeing the pile of ring-tailed pheasants and chukar partridges in front of him, Dan Stafford of Erie wondered if he had enough to edge out his brother in the sibling competition the two had waged in fields about one mile north of Hartstown (Crawford County). Read more.
Wounded War Veterans Form Band – 'We're Gonna Do Big Things':
Their band name is fitting for these wounded war veterans – “The Resilient.” Four of the five Pennsylvania band members are war veterans who turned to music as a path to healing. Greg Loman, the only non-war veteran, met his bandmates while they were recovering. Read more.
You Can HelpPA's Military Personnel And Their Families By Donating From Your Income Tax Return:
Across the Nation
Can Extreme Sports And Adrenaline Help Veterans With PTSD?:
Brandon Webb was in a bad place in 2010. A severe case of back pain sent the former Navy SEAL to a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital. After an MRI, he was told he should consider surgery and was prescribed what he felt were an excessive number of opioids. Read more.
New Suicide Prevention Tool Kits:
In 2016, former Guard and Reserve members who were never federally activated constituted about 10 percent of the total number of suicides among current and former service members. This toolkit highlights a variety of mental health and suicide prevention resources available through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and in the community. Also available is the veteran outreach toolkit, "Preventing Veteran Suicide Is Everyone’s Business, A Community Call to Action."
The Share Of Troops And Veterans Buying Homes With U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Loans Has More Than Doubled:
Military members seem to be warming up to VA loans when buying their first homes, a new report shows. The share of service members and veterans using VA mortgage loans instead of conventional ones to purchase their first homes more than doubled from before the housing crisis hit to after the dust settled. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Offers $15 Million In Grant Funding To Support Adaptive Sports For Disabled Veterans:
The VA announced the availability of up to approximately $15 million in grants for community organizations that provide adaptive sports, including therapeutic recreational opportunities for disabled veterans and disabled members of the armed forces. Read more.
Warrior Music Foundation Offers Free Life-Altering Music Lessons For Veterans:
Army veteran Nandkumar Singh has been taking lessons at Priddy Music for 12 weeks now through the Warrior Music Foundation in Millersville, MD. Warrior Music Foundation is a charity that provides free music lessons, group classes and music therapy to former military members with post-traumatic stress disorder and their families. Read more.
What Is The Latest On Community Care?:
Last June, President Donald Trump signed landmark legislation, known as the VA MISSION Act of 2018, that makes dramatic improvements to how veterans receive health care provided outside of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), also known as community care. VA’s goal is to give veterans greater choice over their health care, allowing VA to deliver world-class, seamless customer service either through a VA facility or community provider. Read more.
With Historic Number Of Women In Uniform, The Vet Community Is About To Change:
When former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta lifted the ban on women in combat roles in 2013, he gave the military two years to complete integration. In 2015, two women successfully completed Army Ranger School, leading to a Pentagon decision calling for combat specialties to be opened to women. Read more.
2019 FINRA Foundation Military Spouse Fellowship:
The FINRA Foundation Military Spouse Fellowship Program offers military spouses the opportunity to earn a career-enhancing credential while providing financial counseling and education to the military community. The fellowship covers the costs associated with completing the AFC® training and testing. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Adidas Is Hiring In Wilkes-Barre (Luzerne County):
Adidas empowers its people to be the best they can be. At the Adidas Wilkes-Barre Distribution Center you will work with world-class machinery and state-of-the-art automated processes. Exceptional benefits include: competitive pay, comprehensive health, dental, vision insurance, 401(k), generous time off and employee discounts. Apply.
Family Readiness Support Assistant (FRSA):
ESC, Inc. is seeking an individual to serve as family readiness support assistant for commands within the Army National Guard throughout the states and territories. Apply.
GasSearch Drilling Services Is Hiring:
GasSearch Drilling Services Corporation (GDS) was founded in 2006 and is a subsidiary company of Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation. GDS is based in Montrose, PA (Susquehanna County) and offers a full line of dirt construction, water hauling, trucking and roustabout services in support of the natural gas industry. Apply.
Governor Tom Wolf Announces New 21st Century Manufacturing Apprenticeship In Southwestern PA:
Building on his commitment to expand job training, Governor Tom Wolf announced a new apprenticeship program for machinists in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The apprenticeships will prepare workers for new jobs in the machine manufacturing industry in the region. “Apprenticeships give Pennsylvanians the opportunity to build a rewarding career and earn a good wage,” said Governor Wolf. Read more.
Hertz Is Hiring:
Hertz is hiring at the Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Scranton airports. Apply to the position first and follow up by sending an email to Erica Schwarz at [email protected] to guarantee priority consideration. Apply!
Veterans Of Foreign Wars (VFW) State Head Quarters Accepting Candidates For Secretary Position:
Responsible for commander and adjutant’s correspondence as well as VFW program support as determined by the adjutant. Possess outstanding organizational skills and work independently, effectively, and a part of a team in a challenging and fast paced work environment. Person must conduct multiple projects simultaneously and maintain knowledge for all Veterans of Foreign Wars programs. Candidates are encouraged to be an active participant in programs involving communities, military troops, and the VFW. Strong typing and computer skills are necessary to interact daily with multiple audiences in a professional manner. Send your cover letter, resume, business writing samples and contact information to state adjutant at [email protected] or mail it PA VFW State HQ, 4002 Fenton Ave., Harrisburg, PA 17109-5943. If you have questions about this position, please call 717-234-7927 and ask for the State Adjutant.
Waste Management Is Hiring Diesel Mechanics In Telford, PA:
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: Must be at least 18 years of age and valid driver's license with clean driving record and have two or more years of relevant work experience. This position offers a $5,000 sign on bonus, as well as up to $5,000 benefit reimbursement!- Apply.
Waste Management Is Hiring HazMat Drivers In Pittsburgh, PA:
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: One year experience of safe operation of commercial vehicles, commercial drivers license with HazMat endorsement and must be at least 21 years of age. This position offers up to $7,000 Sign on bonus!- Apply.
Waste Management Is Hiring Near You:
- March 29, 2019, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.- 910 W. Pennsylvania Ave., Pen Argyl, PA (Northampton County)- Join us for the National Career Day. Space is limited and pre-registration is strongly encouraged. Competitive salaries, great benefits and sign-on bonuses for select positions.- Website.
Waste Management Hiring Drivers And Mechanics In North Huntindgdon, PA:
- March 28, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.- 310 Leger Rd., North Huntingdon, PA (Westmoreland County)- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information.- Sign-on bonuses of up to $7,000 are available.- Apply.
Hiring Our Heroes Job Fair:
- March 28, 2019, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.- Carlisle Expo Center, 100 K St., Carlisle, PA (Cumberland County)- For more information contact Jeffrey Hanks at 717-962-5342 or email [email protected] - Bring your resume and dress for success! Network with over 100 central PA and nationwide businesses in all career fields!- Register.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Free Sandwich For Vietnam Veterans – Mission BBQ:
- March 29, 2019, all day.- Mission BBQ, 5045 Jonestown Rd., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- Free sandwich for Vietnam Vets for National Vietnam War Veterans Day. Thanks for your service, Vietnam veterans. When your country called, you answered. You are our heroes every day. Please enjoy a FREE sandwich with our gratitude.
Vietnam War Commemoration Program:
- March 29, 2019, 9 a.m., doors open at 8 a.m.- KleinLife, 10100 Jamison Ave., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- For more information and to R.S.V.P., contact [email protected] or call 215-737-2311- Recognition ceremony for Vietnam veterans. All Vietnam veterans will receive a welcome home pin. Seating is limited so please R.S.V.P. as soon as possible.
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) Morning Event:
- March 29, 2019, 8:30-10:30 a.m.- Comfort Inn Conference Center, 699 Rodi Rd., Penn Hills, PA (Allegheny County).- R.S.V.P. at least two days in advance to 412-623-9029 or email [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P.- Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast is free.- The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
Vietnam Veterans Pinning Ceremony:
- March 29, 2019, 3-4 p.m.- American Legion Post 217, 133 Centre Ave., Topton, PA (Berks County)- Please join along with U.S. Senator Pat Toomey, to recognize, thank and honor our Vietnam War veterans.
Veteran's Resource Fair:
- March 30, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- East McKeesport Community Center, 539 Chicora Ave., East McKeesport, PA (Allegheny County)- Any questions contact Jessica at 412-823-9687 or email [email protected] - Organizations across the Pittsburgh area coming to one place to help veterans get the help and information they need. Meet local officials, representatives for organizations such as the VFW Post 8430, Vet Center, Marine Corps League #797, Marine Corps Transition Readiness Counselor, Duquesne University, Veteran’s Leadership Program and more.
Penn State Veterans Outreach Fair:
- March 30, 2019, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.- Lewis Katz Building, University Park, State College, PA (Centre County)- The fair is being offered as a way to thank veterans and their families for their sacrifice and commitment to serving their country. Students, faculty and community partners will offer a variety of services, including health screenings and education and legal consultation, all free of charge, to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces across PA, including members of the Pennsylvania National Guard and Penn State employee military veterans.- Register.
Women Veterans Empowered And Thriving:
- March 31, 2019, 2 p.m.- Crayola Gallery at the Banana Factory Arts Center, 25 W. 3rd St., #300, Bethlehem, PA (Lehigh County)- Do your part by giving back to veterans to thank them for their service.- Facebook event.
Pasta Dinner At Our Lady Of Mount Carmel Will Benefit Veterans:
- March 31, 2019, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., takeout will be available from 11 a.m.-noon- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish Center, 241 William St., Pittston, PA (Luzerne County)- All proceeds will benefit St. Francis Commons and its services to veterans who are homeless. Tickets to the event cost $12 and can be purchased at Mucciollo Family Wines in Old Forge (Lackawanna County), Vintage Vogue and Hot Heads by Michelle, both in Pittston or by calling 570-209-9200, ext., 2302.- Music will be provided by Flatland Ruckus and wine will be available from Mucciollo Family Wines. There will also be raffle prizes and 50/50 drawings.
- April 3, 2019, 8:30-10:30 a.m.- Seven Oaks Country Club, 132 Lisbon Rd., Beaver, PA (Beaver County)- Breakfast is $12, Without breakfast is free. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or email [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P.- The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
Night For Vets Event Lehigh Valley IronPigs:
- April 4, 2019, 7:05 p.m.- Coca-Cola Park, 1050 IronPigs Way, Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- The Lehigh Valley IronPigs are honoring veterans by giving them and family members tickets at the window any day leading up until April 4, 2019, as supplies last. The tickets were donated by various companies in the Lehigh Valley and beyond. Each ticket comes with $5 ballpark credit on it and the IronPigs will be honoring veterans in-between innings. Please come for a night out to celebrate veterans.- Website.
A Tribute To The King:
- April 13, 2019, doors open at 3 p.m., Dinner at 4:30 p.m., Show at 6 p.m.- Amvets Post 103, 123 Buttermilk Lane, Hopwood, PA (Fayette County)- Point of Contact: Patty Tegge at 724-430-1241 or email [email protected] - Event includes dinner, show, a basket auction and a 50/50. Proceeds benefit Western District of PSACDVA (Pennsylvania State Association of County Directors of Veterans Affairs). Tickets are $30 per person.- Show features two nationally acclaimed Elvis Tribute Artists, Kelly Hylton and Joe Ramsey.
Health Information Technology Workforce Development and Training Conference – Transforming Your Career in Health Information Technology:
- April 15, 2019, 8 a.m.-5:15 p.m.- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, 326 Market St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- Join us for this annual event for those interested in learning more about Health Information Technology (HIT) as a career. Non-member, $75; HIMSS member, $50, college student, $10; and high school students, FREE.- Register.
Operation Tohidu Is Hosting A Women’s Retreat:
- April 15-19, 2019- Email Travis Rahill at [email protected] for more information- Operation Tohidu is hosting a women’s retreat for former or current cultural support team and female engagement team members in partnership with the Service Women’s Action Network. This is a FREE program and transportation to the retreat location in southern Maryland will be paid for. There are currently seven spots available. Be sure to mention the retreat in the “why I would like to attend” portion of the application.- To register go to Our Website.
Knights Of Columbus Easter Food:
- April 17, 2019, 2-4 p.m.- Fort Indiantown Gap, Fitzpatrick Hall, Building 10-104, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Any questions or to pre-register please contact Roxanne Norris at 717-861-6299 or email [email protected] - This event is open to all service members and their families, to improve the lives of currently serving service members, veterans, retirees and their families by providing quality non-perishable food items.- Pre-Register by Friday, April 5, 2019
Gems Of The Military – OneSource Website: Resources For Getting Richer:
- April 17, 2019, 2-2:45 p.m.- Military OneSource is pleased to offer interactive webinars about topics important to you. Message your questions and comments during the events or just sit back and learn. Learn about resources on the Military OneSource website that can help you save to be a millionaire, or maybe just buy a new car. We will look at resources to build wealth, tools for planning for retirement, and how to access financial magazines, all for free.- Register for this event by April 16, 2019. Register.
Pennsylvania’s 2019 Annual Suicide Prevention Conference:
- May 1-2, 2019- 800 E. Park Dr., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- You are invited to participate in a conference designed to meet the needs of professionals, survivors and interested parties who would like to know more about suicide prevention, intervention, and meeting the needs of suicide survivors. This conference is sponsored by PA Department of Human Services – OMHSAS (Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services) and Drexel University College of Medicine.- Register.
PA Sarp Presents – A New Approach To Sexual Assault Prevention:
- May 17, 2019, first lecture, 9-10:30 a.m., second lecture, 11 a.m.-noon- Building 8-80. Ft. Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- For more information, email Angelo Hernandez at, [email protected] or Oriana White at, [email protected] - This is an event open to all. observe sexual assault awareness through education, inspiration, motivation and more.
Philadelphia Phillies 2019 Salute To The Military Game Against The St. Louis Cardinals:
- May 28, 2019, 7:05 p.m.- Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- All military personnel, veterans and their guests will receive a special ticket discount!- Buy tickets.
Coffee And Camaraderie:
- Fourth Friday of every month, at 9 a.m.- Heisey’s Diner, 1740 PA-72, Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Reserve your spot by calling 717-272-8317 or email [email protected] - Share a free cup of coffee, your stories, and friendship with other veterans of the Lebanon Valley. All veterans are welcome. Feel free to order breakfast, but at your own expense. For those in need, breakfast sponsorships are available.
Veterans Family Fishing Program:
- Second and fourth Sunday of each month, 2-6 p.m.- Fisherman's Paradise, 1150 Spring Creek Rd., Bellefonte, PA (Centre County)- Point of contact: Jim H. Lanning at 951-231-8000 or email [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected] - All veterans and active duty military personnel, join the Spring Creek Chapter of Trout Unlimited talented stream mentors to learn fly fishing, improve your existing skills, and learn about conservation projects to keep our streams and watersheds healthy and protected. Equipment is provided if needed. This is a family fishing program for veterans.- Facebook page.