Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Healing Hearts Bring Valentine’s Day Cheer In Erie:
Joanne Clapper from Christian radio station 106.3 FM was at DMVA's Pennsylvania Soldiers' & Sailors' Home in Erie (Erie County), for the facility's annual Valentine's Day party. Joanne Rogers’ face lit up when she received a valentine from Clapper. Rogers, 86, moved into the home to join her husband, Norman, who served in the Army in the Korean War. Read more.
PA Air National Guard Hall of Fame Inducts Two Members:
The Pennsylvania Air National Guard (PAANG) inducted two new members into its prestigious Hall of Fame, recognizing their exceptional service to the commonwealth and the Guard. Newly inducted members are retired Chief Master Sgt. Jenny Pappas and retired Col. Willard Dellicker. “Induction into the Pennsylvania Air National Guard’s Hall of Fame is a tremendous honor and reserved for those who have shown exceptional commitment to the organization while exemplifying integrity, service, and excellence,” said Brig. Gen. Michael Regan, PAANG commander. Read more.
Tax Time Offers Opportunity To Help Pennsylvania’s Military Families:
Individuals filing their 2018 Pennsylvania personal income taxes can help Pennsylvania’s military personnel and their families by donating part or all of their refund to the state’s Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP). The program, administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA), provides grants of up to $3,500 to Pennsylvania members of the armed forces and their families who have a direct and immediate financial need as a result of circumstances beyond their control. The tax form includes instructions on how to donate. Read more.
Veterans Temporary Assistance:
Veterans Temporary Assistance provides assistance to veterans and their beneficiaries who reside in Pennsylvania for the necessities of life. Read more.
Around the State
A Frosty First – Know Your Military:
Marine Corps Sgt. Tara-Lyn Baker, from Benton (Columbia County), is put to the test as she becomes the first female Marine to graduate from the Winter Mountain Leader Course at the Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, California. Read more.
Greencastle-Antrim School District Considers Giving Students Veterans Day Off:
The tradition of including Veterans Day activities in the Nov. 11 school day might go by the wayside in the Greencastle-Antrim School District (Franklin County) next year, although schools will still emphasize the holiday’s importance. Superintendent Kendra Trail has proposed a vacation day for students in an effort to align with the other districts in Franklin County and with the Franklin County Career and Technology Center. Read more.
Interested In Farming Or Agriculture In PA?:
Are you a veteran or member of the military community interested in farming or agriculture in PA? The PA Veteran Farming Project provides connections to resources, apprenticeships and employment, and an informal network of currently farming veterans eager to share lessons-learned. If you have VA educational benefits ("GI Bill®”), an on-farm apprenticeship may be an option to learn the business and craft of farming. Visit Website or email [email protected] for information. Services to eligible veterans and their spouses are provided at no cost.
Korean War Veterans Group Raises Around $33,000 For Memorial Wall In Washington, D.C.:
A regional Korean War veterans group, headquartered in Camp Hill (Cumberland County), will make a contribution of around $33,000 toward the addition of a wall of names to the national Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. Part of the donation comes from a fundraising concert held last month at Lancaster’s Ware Center (Lancaster County). Read more.
VFW Post Feeds Hungry Veterans:
In a partnership with a Pennsylvania food bank, VFW members in Huntingdon, PA, use their Post’s gaming proceeds to feed 120 veterans and their families every month. In 2014, Feeding America initiated a hunger in America national study. It showed that one in five households served by the Feeding America network has at least one member that has served or is currently serving in the military. Read more.
Across the Nation
VA’s proposed rules for Veteran community care now open for public comment
WASHINGTON — Today the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced the publication beginning tomorrow of a proposed regulation in the Federal Register for the new Veterans community care program, including access standards. Read more....
3-D Printing Parts? Helping Veterans? Serving The Community? All In A Day's Work For Terry Hill:
U.S. Army combat veteran Terry Hill gained valuable exposure to 3-D printing, also known as additive manufacturing (AM) in his first post-service job with a global aerospace company, leading their robotic welding and AM efforts. When the AM portion of his job was discontinued, despite his own strong belief in the potential of the technology, Hill decided to launch his own company to leverage 3-D printing as the basis for his business, and to help out his fellow military veterans in any way possible. Read more.
From War To Home – Veterans’ New Orleans Exhibit:
The Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System recently opened its research exhibit on the first-floor concourse of the new veterans medical center in New Orleans. The opening included a panel discussion with veterans and caregivers who collaborated on the exhibit. As part of a VA-funded research collaboration, veterans from the post-9/11 service era and their family caregivers were given cameras and asked to take photographs and describe the meaning behind each image. Read more.
Registration Opens For 2019 National Veterans Wheelchair Games:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that veterans interested in registering for the 2019 National Veterans Wheelchair Games can do so online Jan. 7 through April 15, 2019. Presented by VA and Paralyzed Veterans of America, the world’s largest sports event for Veterans who use wheelchairs will be held July 11-16 at Robley Rex VA Medical Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Read more.
Safe Messaging Best Practices – The Role We All Play In Preventing Veteran Suicide:
More than 50 research studies worldwide have shown the way we talk about suicide can influence behavior, either positively or negatively. According to Dr. Keita Franklin, executive director, suicide prevention for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, there are things we can all do to help. Read more.
Space Force Launch Zooms Closer To Reality Under President Trump's Directive:
The Space Force is moving closer to liftoff with President Donald Trump's signing of a directive to create the Space Force, a new branch of the military whose mission would be to monitor the heavens and protect the United States from attack. During a signing ceremony in the Oval Office, Trump said he views the new military branch as part of his responsibility to protect the nation. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Appeals Modernization Act Has Taken Effect Streamlining Current Claims And Appeals Process For Veterans:
Today the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that it has implemented the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act of 2017, which was signed into law Aug. 23, 2017, and represents one of the most significant statutory changes to benefit Veterans in decades. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Providing Better Care For The Elderly Veteran:
As one who wore the uniform of the U.S. Marine Corps for 22 years, serving in World War II and the Korean War, Henry Holley subscribed to the Marines’ Latin motto: Semper Fidelis “always faithful, always loyal.” Today, Holley is quick to apply that tag to VA. He believes the VA health care system has been incredibly faithful to him in the three years he’s been a patient of the geriatric clinic at the Atlanta VA Medical Center. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
FedEx Is Hiring Package Handlers:
- Harrisburg Hub, 510 Industrial Dr., Lewisberry, PA (York County)- For more information, text FedEx to 69922 or go to the Website. - Must be at least 18 years of age and able to load, unload and sort packages, as well as perform other related duties.
Governor Wolf Creates Keystone Economic Development And Workforce Command Center:
Governor Tom Wolf is taking significant action to strengthen Pennsylvania’s workforce. The governor signed an executive order to create the Keystone Economic Development and Workforce Command Center. The command center will expand the collaboration between government and the private sector to address the skills gap and worker shortages. Read more.
No Experience? No Problem! Vets Can Jump-Start Careers In IT With This New, Free Program:
Many veterans face a frustrating catch-22 upon exiting the military, most jobs require experience, but it’s almost impossible to get experience without a job. That’s where a program like Apprenti comes in. It removes the burden of experience and education by immediately placing qualifying veterans in relatively well-paying technology apprenticeships, where they will learn the skills required to succeed in the industry. Read more.
Pennsylvania Department Of Education Seeking Veterans Education Advisor:
The veterans education advisor position is a dynamic and diverse job to assist Pennsylvania's veterans and eligible dependents utilizing their GI Bill® benefits. For questions, contact Loraine Spangler at 717-783-9261 or email [email protected] . To learn more about this position and to apply, visit Website.
Pennsylvania Department Of Military And Veterans Affairs (DMVA) Is Hiring:
Veterans services officer, installation police officer, pharmacist, nurse aide, licensed practical nurse and registered nurse are just a few of the positions that DMVA is currently hiring for. We have employment opportunities in several counties throughout Pennsylvania! Visit the state employment website.
Waste Management Hiring CDL Truck Drivers And Diesel Mechanics (Washington County):
- February hiring event on Feb. 27, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Walk-ins welcome and make sure to bring a copy of your resume. Up to $7,000 in bonuses.- Apply.
Waste Management Is Hiring:
- Waste Management is hiring Mobile Diesel Technicians in Camp Hill (Cumberland County) and Diesel Technicians in Telford (Montgomery County) and Bristol (Bucks County).- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- These positions are eligible for bonuses up to $5,000.- Apply.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Cambria County Town Hall Meeting:
- Feb. 22, 2019, 2-4 p.m.- Patton Public Library, 444 Magee Ave., Patton, PA (Cambria County)- Informing veterans and their families about the services Cambria County Veterans Services provides, possible benefits they are entitled to, and answering your questions.- Facebook event.
Welcoming Women Veterans – A Comcast Coffee Networking Social:
- Feb. 26, 2019, 8-10:30 a.m.- Comcast Headquarters, Room 45KL, 1701 JFK Blvd., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Comcast welcomes women members of the military community to a morning of networking and coffee. Comcast NBCUniversal will give women veterans the opportunity to network with Comcast corporate leaders from various business units. Military spouses are welcome to join.- Register!
Veteran Town Hall:
- Feb. 26, 2019, 6 p.m.- Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center, LVA Auditorium, 7th floor, 3900 Woodland Ave., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- For more information contact Jonathan Hodges, Interim Public Affairs Officer, 215-823-5916, or email him at [email protected] - Local leadership from all three administrations of the U.S. Deptartment of Veterans Affairs (VA) will provide an update, answer questions, and receive feedback from veterans. All veterans and their family members are welcome to attend.
Legal And Domestic Relations Clinic:
- March 8, 2019, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- Lebanon VA Medical Center, 1700 S. Lincoln Ave., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- For more information, please contact Sarah Primak at 717-926-0872- Clinics are presented by the PA Bar Association, Lancaster County Domestic Relations and York County Domestic Relations. Veterans with legal and/or domestic relations issues in ALL counties are welcome to attend.
Penn State Veterans Outreach Fair:
- March 30, 2019, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.- Lewis Katz Building, University Park, State College, PA (Centre County)- The fair is being offered as a way to thank veterans and their families for their sacrifice and commitment to serving their country.- Students, faculty and community partners will offer a variety of services, including health screenings and education and legal consultation, all free of charge, to veterans of the U.S. armed forces across PA, including members of the Pennsylvania National Guard and Penn State employee military veterans.- Register.