Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Ohiopyle State Park Events:
- 2019 events include: Moonlight Snowshoe, Feb. 16, 2019; fly fishing weekend, Winter Weekend for Veterans Feb. 24, 2019; May 17-19, 2019; Middle Yough Float, June 29, 2019; and Lower Yough Rafting, Aug. 10, 2019- For more information or to register, please contact Barbara Wallace at 724-329-0986 or email [email protected] - Ohiopyle State Park offers special programming for veterans and active service military personnel. There is no fee for the programming.
Army Veteran Seeks Donor For Liver Transplant:
Scott Twp. (Allegheny County) resident and father of two Bill Tratthen has served his country through active duty with the Army and Army National Guard, and his local community as a firefighter since he was 16. About three years ago, Tratthen was diagnosed with non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver because of fatty liver disease. Read more.
Pennsylvania National Guard Achieved Excellence in 2018:
The Pennsylvania National Guard achieved excellence during 2018 through successful responses to natural disasters, deepening partnerships throughout the government, in communities and with allies. Read more.
Pennsylvania Veterans Resource Guide:
The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs website has an online consolidated listing of veterans' resources. View the PA veterans resource Guide and download a copy today at: Read more.
Veterans Corner – Information On PA's Six Veterans Homes:
Pennsylvania’s state veterans homes deliver long-term care. The staff is fully licensed, carefully trained and dedicated to treating the residents with the dignity and respect they deserve. Read more.
Around the State
Help Pours In For A Man Living In His Car During The Polar Vortex Deep Freeze:
Glenn Hamberger Jr., a 66-year-old Air Force veteran and truck driver had been living in his car while he recovered from a knee injury that prevented him from working. As word of his plight spread online, help started pouring in from all over. Read more.
Kids Korner – Cub Scouts Meet A True Hero:
Cub Scouts from Pack 126 in Springbrook (Lackawanna County) have been working hard on the requirements for their “Build My Own Hero” badge. The badge required the scouts to meet and speak with a local hero. The pack had the opportunity to listen to and converse with Staff Sgt. Earl Granville, a Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient and 10-year veteran with the Pennsylvania National Guard. Read more.
Kuppy's Is Taking Donations To Help Navy Veteran Who Was Displaced By Fire:
Donations are being accepted at Kuppy’s Diner in Middletown (Dauphin County) to help Navy veteran Kevan Kern, who lost most of his possessions in a house fire. Kern was sleeping when he was awakened by his Rottweiler who was barking in response to the fire. Borough police and firefighters arrived to find flames coming out of the second-story windows of the house. Read more.
Vietnam War Vets Help Ronald McDonald House:
Veterans of the Vietnam War Post 1, Scranton, recently presented a donation to the Ronald McDonald House. The donation was made as a result of the post disbanding due to diminishing membership nationally. Read more.
Across the Nation
Don’t Miss Out On This Refund Windfall Related To The Sinai Combat Tax Exemption:
In the tax reform that was signed into law in December 2017, lawmakers designated service in the Sinai Peninsula as being eligible for a combat zone tax exemption and they also applied it retroactively. Thus, those who received imminent danger pay or hostile fire pay while serving in the Sinai qualify for the refund. To get refunds for the years before the law was enacted and implemented, you must file an amended tax return for those years. Read more.
Former Paratrooper Earns Volunteer Of The Year Award For Work With Incarcerated Veterans:
Master Sgt. Kevin Burrill spent 14 years on active duty in the U.S. Army as a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division, before his first combat tour to Afghanistan. Burrill was a battalion mortar platoon sergeant on assignment with his unit in 2007 in the Ghazni Province, when the blast from an improvised explosive device upended their mission. Read more.
Here’s How Some Military Spouses Could Get Potentially Thousands Of Dollars In Tax Refunds:
Some military spouses could potentially receive thousands of dollars in state tax refunds for tax year 2018, thanks to a new law that took effect in December 2018. Read more.
Military Working Dog Stamps Are Coming To A Post Office Near You:
The U.S. Postal Service will recognize the furriest members of the military with stamps this year. There will be one stamp each for the German shepherd, Labrador retriever, Belgian Malinois and Dutch shepherd breeds, which are all types of military working dogs. Read more.
Mint Hosts First Strike Of American Legion Commemorative Coin:
The first American Legion commemorative coins came off the press during a ceremonial striking at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia. "As we reflect on our legacy of support to our nation's veterans, service members and their families in patriotic communities everywhere, these coins are lasting and timeless expressions of the service and values The American Legion holds dear," National Commander Brett Reistad said. Read more.
New Law Gives Veteran Small Business Owners Surplus Federal Equipment:
Scattered in warehouses throughout the country are the kinds of federal resources that can potentially help a small businesses to thrive. Items such as laptops, office furniture, construction equipment and farm tools have been gathering dust, unused and unseen, for years. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs, MyHealth E-Vet – Understanding Diabetic Nerve Damage:
About half of all people with diabetes have some form of nerve damage. That damage is called neuropathy and can be painful or result in loss of protection sensation. It usually develops slowly, sometimes throughout several decades. It most often damages nerves in your feet. Read more.
Veterans Are More Likely To Have Trouble Sleeping – Here’s The Fix:
Sleep Hygiene tips help many people, but they don't work all the time and they don't work for everybody, especially if you have been experiencing sleep problems for a long time. Read more.
WWII Veterans Receive Congressional Gold Medal:
Five Chinese-American veterans were awarded the Congressional Gold Medal during a ceremony at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Central Office in Washington, D.C. The veterans were selected to represent more than 20,000 Chinese Americans who served during World War II. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Buckeye Aluminum Foundry Now Hiring Full Time Laborers:
Great starting wages, opportunities for advancement, benefits and profit sharing. For more information call Hank White at 814-683-4420 between 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Website.
Hertz Is Hiring:
Hertz is hiring at the Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Scranton airports. Apply to the position first and follow up by sending an email to Erica Schwarz at [email protected] to guarantee priority consideration. Apply.
State Farm Is Hiring – Seeking Veterans To Fill Two Positions:
State Farm in Pleasant Hills (Allegheny County) is seeking two individuals as insurance and financial services professionals. These opportunities could be well-suited to disabled veterans as well. For any questions, email [email protected] or call 412-653-4300. Website.
The HIRE Vets Medallion Award Program Is Now Accepting Applications:
The U.S. Department of Labor’s HIRE Vets Medallion Award is a veteran’s employment award that recognizes employers for their investments in recruiting, employing, and retaining our nation’s veterans. This award is an opportunity to highlight your organization’s work to support America’s veterans. Read more.
TRG Career Opportunities:
The Rehancement Group (TRG) values the expertise and fresh perspective experienced professionals bring to our organization. TRG recruits experienced professionals across a wide range of roles, business areas, and regions. The global presence, variety of work assignments, and business strength help to make them a dynamic company.Website.
Waste Management Hiring CDL Truck Drivers And Diesel Mechanics (Washington County):
- February Hiring Events on Feb. 13, 20 and 27, 2019, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Walk-ins welcome and make sure to bring a copy of your resume. Up to $7,000 in bonuses.- Apply.
Waste Management Hiring Diesel Technicians In Camp Hill (Cumberland County):
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- This position is eligible for sign-on bonuses up to $5,000!- Apply.
Waste Management Hiring Sr. Diesel Technicians In Ambridge (Beaver County):
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information- Requirements: Experience working on inspection, diagnosis and repair of diesel/gas powered equipment/vehicles, valid driver's license and must have a clean driving record. $5,000 sign-on bonus with at least one year of waste experience.- Apply.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Central PA WWII Roundtable Upcoming Speaker:
- Feb. 7, 2019, 7 p.m.- Grace United Methodist Church, 433 E. Main St., Hummelstown, PA (Dauphin County)- For more information, contact Charlie Lloyd at [email protected] or call him at 717-503-2862- Retired Navy Commander Bruce Apgar will serve as facilitator for an interview with WWII veteran Bob Hench. Hench was a petty officer third class on the light aircraft carrier USS Bataan (CVL-29), which saw action in the Pacific during the war.- Website.
Veteran Sleep Out – Supporting Indiana County Homeles And In-Need Veterans:
- Feb. 16-17, 2019, 8 a.m.-8 a.m., in front of store for 24 hours- 3100 Oakland Ave., Indiana, PA (Indiana County)- The goal is to raise awareness and money for the Veterans Parsonage at the Church of the Brethren in Indiana, PA. Members from Team RWB, the Indiana University of Pennsylvania ROTC, the PTX Military Fraternity and the Military Philanthropy Org. have committed to staying in front of the Walmart for 24 hours while sleeping in cardboard boxes and tents and eating only food provided by the community.
Welcoming Women Veterans – A Comcast Coffee Networking Social:
- Feb. 26, 2019 8-10:30 a.m.- Comcast Headquarters, Room 45KL, 1701 JFK Blvd., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- Comcast welcomes women members of the military community to a morning of networking and coffee. Comcast NBCUniversal will give women veterans the opportunity to network with Comcast corporate leaders from various business units. Military spouses are welcome to join.- Register!
PTSD Veterans Recovery Support Group:
- Every Monday evening 6:30-8 p.m.- JFT Recovery and Veterans Support Services, 300 Market St., Lemoyne, PA (Cumberland County)- Point of contact: call 717-695-6253- Do you need practical help with dealing with your combat PTSD? This PTSD veterans support group will help you find solutions that last instead of having to try and find shortcuts or easy answers.
National Salute To Veteran Patients:
- Feb. 13-15, 2019- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Butler Medical Center, 325 New Castle Rd., Butler, PA (Butler County)- Point of contact: call Paula McCarl at 878-271-6957 for information on having a lunch date with a veteran or how to volunteer- In honor of National Salute to Veteran Patients Week, the Butler VA will hold its annual "Lunch Date with a Veteran" on Feb. 13; will host the Butler County Jr. ROTC on Feb. 14; and hold a lunch program for Adult Day Health Care on Feb. 15.
Grand Opening Of Veteran Nonprofit Agency:
- Feb. 19, 2019, ceremony starts at noon and culminates in the 4 p.m. ribbon cutting ceremony- We Agape You, 355 Saylor St., Sch. Haven, PA (Schuylkill County)- The agency will provide information to veterans on housing and employment services available to them as well as information on free transportation service to local VA hospitals.
Cambria County Veteran Services Town Hall Meeting:
- Feb. 20, 2019, 2-3:30 p.m.- Hastings Public Library, 312 Beaver St., Hastings, PA (Cambria County)- Informing veterans and their families about the services Cambria County Veterans Services provides, possible benefits they are entitled to, and answering your questions.- Facebook event.