The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (BVRS) in partnership with the Bureau of Special Education’s Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network (PaTTAN) , the PA Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH), and The Pennsylvania State University are pleased to offer the Summer Academy for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing: Enhancing Independence Skills for Students Transitioning to Post-Secondary Education. It will be held July 14 through August 2, 2019, at The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- A three-week experience available at no cost to parents and students building on current student skills and enhancing independence and self-advocacy skills for students transitioning to post-secondary education
- Available at no cost to eligible students currently enrolled in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade in the 2018-2019 school year who anticipate attending a two/four year college or technical/trade school after graduation from high school *charges may apply to out-of-state students
- Focus areas include: self-advocacy and networking skills, career awareness, social skills, communication access options awareness, and enhancing access technology skills
- Students reside at Penn State in a dormitory, sharing a room with another student
Program content will include:
- Career exploration to define students’ vocational direction
- Enhancement of access technology skills
- Development of self-advocacy skills, social skills and teambuilding
- Awareness of different communication access options
- Personal budgeting and types of financial aid for post-secondary education
- Instruction on students’ rights and responsibilities for obtaining reasonable accommodations at an institution of higher education
- Three college credits awarded upon successful completion of all requirements of the Summer Academy.
More info and registration details available at http://sites.psu.edu/summeracademydhohstudent/?fbclid=IwAR2tV0u3YqJnpZVQmmVBcH84cCovn18keSkuBzknKcHw6qWva462nLnbnAk