Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
DMVA Highlights State Agency Programs For Veterans And Military:
Hey, PA veterans! Your DD214 isn't your only important paperwork or document. Did you know the fee for birth and death certificates in PA are waived by the Pennsylvania Department of Health for qualified members of the U.S. Armed Forces and veterans? If you're not a veteran, share this with one. Visit the Department of Health website. DMVA is spotlighting veterans programs and services offered by various Commonwealth of Pennsylvania agencies throughout November. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and share!
Housing Unit Dedicated At SCI Muncy For Female Veterans:
History was made in the Commonwealth. The state correctional institution in Muncy (Lycoming County) now includes Pennsylvania’s first housing unit dedicated to female veterans. “No matter what branch of the armed services these female veterans once served in, they all know the sense of camaraderie, team work and sense of pride that comes with serving their country,” said Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, Pennsylvania’s adjutant general and head of the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. Read more.
The Hollidays Are A Great Time To Donate To DMVA's Resident Welfare Fund:
A gift in the form of a monetary donation to a Pennsylvania Veterans Home Resident Welfare Fund will be felt all year long. There are six to choose from!Donate here.
Around the State
Canyon Heroes Program Seeking More Veterans In Need Of Healing:
A whitewater rafting trip through the Grand Canyon is good for the soul. Since 2012, military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder have experienced the healing benefits of such a trip with the help of the Ligonier-based nonprofit, Canyon Heroes. The group has seen its state funding decrease. “What we need are Pennsylvania veterans,” said Margery Hermann, Canyon Heroes founder and acting president. Read more.
Military Dad’s Homecoming Surprises His Children:
A military father who said he had dreamed of his homecoming for months, finally got the chance to surprise his family during a visit to meet Santa. Sgt. Adam Powell, with the Army National Guard, gave his children a gift they weren't expecting at Bass Pro Shops outside of Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County).Watch video.
Pennsylvania Guard Father And Son Become Co-Pilots:
Serving alongside their child in the Army is a thought many soldiers find inconceivable. For Col. Howard Lloyd, commander of the Pennsylvania National Guard's 28th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade, that dream is a reality. Read more.
Salute To Local Marine:
The recent Veterans Day parade in Altoona (Blair County) was one of the biggest that it's been in years. And that's in large part, thanks to a man who has committed himself to veterans in this region. Lloyd Peck organized the last few Veterans Day parades. Read more.
Women Veterans To Be Honored By Governor Wolf:
The Pennsylvania Commission for Women is seeking statewide nominations for its fourth annual Female Veterans Day Ceremony as part of Women’s History Month in March, 2019. The Female Veterans Day nomination form is available online. Deadline for nominations is Feb. 1, 2019. Nominate.
Women's Recovery Apartments – Immediate Openings:
The Lebanon Women’s Recovery Apartments (WRA) at 701 Chestnut St., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County) is an extension of recovery services provided by Pennsylvania Counseling Services in Lebanon County. As a resident of WRA you will be provided with an environment to begin your journey into a lifetime of recovery-consistent living. Please call 717-450-5033.
World War II Veteran Harry Coates Reflects On Time In South Pacific:
A new chapter in life awaits World War II veteran Harry Coates as he recently celebrated his 96th birthday and moved to Pennsylvania. Coates returned earlier this month to participate in the community’s Veterans Day ceremony at the Franklin County Veterans’ Memorial Park. Read more.
Across the Nation
Honoring The First People Of America And The Warriors Who Served To Protect It:
VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System (VCB) recently held a special event in observance of National Native American Heritage Month. The special event featured performances by members of the Lipan Apache Tribe of Texas. The performances incorporated dancing and singing guided by the beat of a drum circle. Read more.
Melwood Veterans Services:
Melwood Veterans Services is excited to announce, Operation Tohidu, a program for men and women struggling with post-traumatic stress, anxiety, depression, traumatic brain injury, and other service-related issues such as military sexual trauma. “Tohidu” is a Cherokee word meaning peace of mind, body, and spirit and Operation Tohidu retreats continue to promote “Peace with the past through power in the present” for hundreds of veterans each year. Read more.
Niece On Missing WWII Soldier's Upcoming Burial In Rogersville – 'It'll Be Peaceful.':
A Hawkins County family now has closure in a nearly 75 year mystery. The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced that the remains of World War II Army Private First Class Lewis Price of Rogersville, TN, have now been accounted for. Price was part of the 28th Infantry Division in Germany in November 1944. He was reported missing in action from the Hürtgen Forest area. Price left behind a wife and son who have both since died. His niece and nephew still live in East Tennessee. Read more.
Oldest U.S. Military Survivor Of Pearl Harbor Dies At Age 106:
The oldest U.S. military survivor of the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor that plunged the United States into World War II has died at age 106. Ray Chavez’s daughter, Kathleen Chavez of Poway, Cal, said her father died in his sleep. Chavez had visited Washington in May where he was honored by President Donald Trump during Memorial Day services. Read more.
Post-9/11 GI Bill Housing Payment Rates Update:
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) recently announced key changes in the processing of GI Bill benefits payments under the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017 (Forever GI Bill). Read more.
Prescription Refill Options For Veterans:
If you are one of the millions of veterans receiving VA Prescriptions, did you know you have refill options? VA is dedicated to providing veterans with safe, effective, and medically necessary medications and supplies. This includes the process of requesting refills of those prescriptions. Read more.
Program Offers Free Training For Veterans By Business Owners Who Are Veterans:
After serving as an Army officer in Vietnam, Leland Goldberg came back to the United States in 1968 and found it hard to find a job. Holding a bachelor’s degree from Northeastern University, he sent out resumes and letters to companies in Boston but rarely heard back. One day, someone named John Quincy Adams, a senior vice president of the then-John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Co., offered Goldberg a job. “That changed my life,” he said. Read more.
PTSD And Sleep:
Sleep problems are a common issue for people of all ages, but anyone diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder is more likely to experience difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. Sleep disturbances and nightmares are common symptoms of PTSD, and these symptoms may even exacerbate other PTSD symptoms and make treatment more difficult. Read more.
Trees For Troops 2018:
Delivering the spirit of Christmas to military families – one Christmas tree at a time.Website.
Tulsa School One Of Eight Nationally To Participate In ‘End Veteran Homelessness Challenge’:
Students, teachers and parents filled the gymnasium at Henry Zarrow International School in Tulsa, OK, to celebrate Veterans Day and the 100th Anniversary of the end of World War I. The program served as an opportunity for the school to raise awareness for the nationwide issue of veteran homelessness. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Choose A VA housekeeping Career To Care For And Work With Veterans:
Each year, nearly 9 million patients enrolled in VA care undergo surgeries, recover from injuries and receive care for chronic conditions with the help of VA’s world-class physicians, nurses and healthcare staff. VA announced a new initiative to fill these vital roles supporting patient care. Read more.
Kellenberger Excavating LLC Hiring Veterans:
Donald Kellenberger, a U.S. Marine with an honorable discharge, returned home from active duty about 10 years ago and opened Kellenberger Excavating LLC in Reading, PA (Berks County). He is seeking qualified veterans to work for his company. Website.
Quality Drive Away, Inc. Hiring:
- Quality Drive Away, Inc., 3 Cloverleaf Dr., Jonestown, PA (Lebanon County) - Contact Nate Baum at 717-865-4955 ext., 204 - Welcoming drivers as independent contractors. Set own schedule. Will train for CDL if needed.
Governor Wolf Announces Expansion Of Evonik Corporation, Creation Of 50 High-Paying Jobs:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Evonik Corporation, a German specialty chemicals company, will expand its technology and business capabilities in Pennsylvania. The expansion will take place at its current location in Trexlertown, PA (Lehigh County). The project is expected to create 50 new high-paying jobs.Read more.
Dan's Auto Body, Hershey:
- Dan's Auto Body, 359 Gates Rd., Hershey, PA (Dauphin County) - Call G.M. Matt Brown at 717-533-6050 to schedule an interview. - Looking for body techs/frame techs., etc.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
2018 Veterans Service Partnership Fly Tying Instruction:
- First and third Tuesday of each month, 7-9 p.m. - American Legion Post #34 (Enter through the rear door), 1388 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County) - Point of contact: Bill Nolan at 717-875-7426 or email [email protected] - Donegal Trout Unlimited Veteran Service Partnership is offering this free program to veterans, designed to teach the basics of fly fishing. All equipment and supplies provided FREE to veterans and their family members.
Pennsylvania Outdoor Veterans Hunting Camp:
- Nov. 25, 2018-Dec. 1, 2018, each day sunrise to sunset - Address will be provided upon registration (Pike County-Delaware State Forest) - Point of Contact: Ryan Bowman at 484-629-5454 or email [email protected] - Additional Details: Pre-registration is required A.S.A.P., upon registration packing list and directions to hunting camp will be provided. Spots are limited. - https://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaOutdoorVeterans/
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) Morning Event:
- Nov. 30, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m. - Comfort Inn Conference Center, 699 Rodi Rd., Penn Hills, PA (Allegheny County)- Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast is free. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P. - The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout Western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend. - Facebook page.
Try Hockey For Free Day:
- Dec. 2, 2018, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. - 1099 E Venango St., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County) - For questions call 703-463-8412 or email [email protected] - This event is designed for U.S. military veterans. It is a completely free experience to try hockey. - Register.
- Dec. 5, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m. - Seven Oaks Country Club, 132 Lisbon Rd., Beaver, PA (Beaver County) - Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast is free. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or [email protected]. - The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout Western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend. - Facebook page.
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) At Night:
- Dec. 6, 2018, 7 p.m. - Heinz History Center, 1212 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County) - This event is free, free food, cash bar. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P. - Women veterans of various eras and ages will talk about their experiences serving our country. Open to the public, all are welcome. - Facebook page.
- Dec. 12, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m. - Christ Church at Grove Farm (in the ‘Event Barn’ to the right of the church), 249 Duff Rd., Sewickley, PA (Allegheny County) - Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast is free. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P. - The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend. - Facebook page.
Air National Guard Band Of The Northeast To Appear In Concert This December:
- Dec. 16, 2018, 3 p.m., doors open at 2 p.m. - The Scottish Rite Cathedral Auditorium, 2701 N. Third St., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County) - The concert is FREE! Call The Valley of Harrisburg Office at 717-238-8867 orReserve Tickets. Tickets may also be picked up at our business office. - The Air National Guard Band of the Northeast will present an exciting concert of holiday favorites. The Band of the Northeast represents the Pennsylvania Air National Guard, the United States Air National Guard, and the United States Air Force as musical ambassadors for both military and civilian audiences throughout the entire MidAtlantic and Northeast region.