A publication of Pennsylvania's Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
September 26, 2018
DMVA Partners In Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo:
PA is 60,000 Women Veterans Strong! The Women Veterans Committee of the Governor Tom Wolf Advisory Council for Veterans Services invites ALL veterans and community supporters to attend a FREE and engaging Women Veterans Town Hall and Expo on Sat. Oct. 27, 2018, 9 a.m.-Noon! Come voice your thoughts, concerns, and have your questions answered by a wide network of experts from a number of organizations. The Event is hosted in partnership with the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Women Veterans Committee of the Governor's Advisory Council for Veterans Services, the Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VAMC, and the Veterans Multi-Service Center. Come and let your voices be heard. Register today.
DMVA Adjutant General To Participate In Cabinet In Your Community Event:
Governor Tom Wolf officials from Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Pennsylvania Department of Education, Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs and Pennsylvania Department of Corrections will gather at Lebanon Valley College to talk about issues that are important to you and your region at the Cabinet in Your Community event on Oct. 3, 2018. Don't forget to R.S.V.P. by Sept. 29, 2018. Facebook post.
Now Accepting Veterans Day Event Submissions:
In recognition of Veterans Day on Sunday, Nov. 11, the Pennsylvania Department of Military Veterans Affairs is compiling a list of Veterans Day events around the state. Community organizers statewide are encouraged to submit event information to DMVA by Nov. 1, 2018, to be included in our weekly DMVA Digest. To submit an upcoming veteran or military-oriented event being held in Pennsylvania, please email [email protected] with the following details: 1. Name of event; 2. Date of event; 3. Time of event; 4. Address of event; 5. County of event; 6. Event website; 7. Point of contact name; 8. POC phone number; 9. POC email address; and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (required fee to attend, pre-registration, etc.).
PUC Launches Enhanced #UtilityCareers Campaign; Joins State Agencies And Utilities Including DMVA:
The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission led leaders from state agencies and utilities from across the state to encourage skilled candidates to consider career opportunities in the utility sector including Pennsylvania veterans. “American veterans are highly-trained in numerous job specialties that make them an ideal match for civilian public utility careers. These high-tech jobs include satellite/telecommunications operations, cable/fiber line installers, electrical systems, engineering and logistics. The DMVA is thankful that the PUC is working to connect those who have served our country with utility sector jobs where they can serve Pennsylvania communities," said Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli. Read more.
DMVA Still Looking For 16 Photos Of Pennsylvania Veterans Who Paid Ultimate Sacrifice In Vietnam:
To further honor and preserve the memory of our veterans for future generations, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in D.C. is leading an initiative to locate a photo for every U.S. service member who died during Vietnam. Please help us find the remaining 16 photos from four Pennsylvania counties. For information on how to submit a photo, visit: Read more.
2018 March For The Fallen Draws Near:
Walk, ruck, or run with your family, friends or unit to remember the fallen at the 2018 March for the Fallen event that will be held Sept. 29, 2018, at Fort Indiantown Gap (Lebanon County). Those interested in participating may still register in-person the day before and the morning of the event, but will not be guaranteed an event t-shirt. Read more.
Over 200 Coats Donated To DMVA's Delaware Valley Veterans' Home And The Veterans Multi-Service Center:
American Heritage Credit Union held its inaugural coat drive to support the Delaware Valley Veterans' Home and the Veterans Multi-Service Center in Philadelphia. From July through September, American Heritage employees were encouraged to donate new or gently-used coats. Read more.
Around the State
Dinner Fundraiser Will Help Endow Cal U Scholarship For Military Families:
A dinner meant to honor a late veteran and raise money for a scholarship benefiting veterans’ family members is set for Oct. 5 at the California University of Pennsylvania (Washington County). The scholarship and the Families First event in the university’s Convocation Center arena are a tribute to the late Kerrie Gill Sr., a university alumnus and Army veteran who served in the Korean War. Read more.
Fort Indiantown Gap's Role After The Fall Of Saigon – 100 Years Of Heroes:
After the fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975, Fort Indiantown Gap in Lebanon County became a resettlement and processing center for thousands of Vietnamese and Cambodian refugees. In late April 1975, the North Vietnamese Army was approaching Saigon, the capitol of South Vietnam. Read more.
Three Tips To Avoid Investments Scams In Wake Of Hurricane Florence:
In the wake of widespread damage caused by Hurricane Florence, Secretary of Banking and Securities Robin L. Wiessmann cautioned investors to watch out for opportunistic investment or charitable scams. “Much of the news being reported about Hurricane Florence has focused on first responders and neighbors helping neighbors. However, too often we have heard reports that scam artists are looking to profit by taking advantage of the misfortune of others,” said Wiessmann. Read more.
West Oak Lane Woman Continues Advocating For Veterans Rights:
Just meeting Patrice Cathy Santos, of West Oak Lane (Philadelphia County) one may make some inaccurate presumptions. One may think she has spent her life working as a white-collar professional, what may not be as obvious is that Santos has spent most of her life serving in the military, that she is a vocal veterans advocate and though her last name is Santos, she is African American with no Latino ancestry. Read more.
Across the Nation
Advocates Start Work On What And Where The Global War On Terror Memorial Will Be:
Michael Rodriguez doesn’t know what the national Global War on Terror memorial will look like, but he’s confident about where it should be. “I believe it needs to be on the National Mall,” said Rodriguez, president of the memorial’s foundation. “In a lot of ways, this has already become a forgotten war. We need that national reminder.” Read more.
For Women Veterans, No Room At U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospitals:
As the number of female veterans increases, women who live in communities serviced by older U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals could experience a delay in care if men already occupy the hospital rooms. When Whitney Brown, a National Guard veteran who lives in Wheeling, WV needs medical assistance, she must travel to VA hospitals in St. Clairsville, Ohio, a half an hour round trip, or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, an hour each way. Read more.
Free Flu Shots For U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Enrolled Veterans At Walgreens:
During flu season, protecting your health with a flu shot is easier than ever and as close as your local VA or neighborhood Walgreens. VA and Walgreens care about your health and are partnering to offer enrolled veteran patients easy access to flu shots. VA and Walgreens are national partners, providing no-cost standard (Quadrivalent) flu shots to enrolled veterans of the VA health care system. Read more.
Researchers Work To Create 3D-printed Artificial Lung That May Revolutionize Treatment Of Veterans With Lung Disease:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) scientists at the VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System in Michigan recently announced that they are working to create a 3D-printed artificial lung that could potentially revolutionize treatment of veterans affected by lung disease. Though still in its infancy, VA researchers hope to build what they call the first artificial lung that closely replicates the natural lung. Read more.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 42,773 suicides in 2014 in the United States, or 117 suicides each day. About 18 percent of those who die by suicide are veterans. Veterans can be at risk for suicide for a variety of reasons. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Research Trial Aims To Help Parent Caregivers:
For three decades, Maxine Christensen counseled Native Americans on the use of drugs and alcohol. She met with people who showed an excessive use of or were addicted to marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or liquor. She always felt confident in her ability to connect with those in need of help. Her command of the situation hasn’t been the same in the seven years she’s been a caretaker for her son, Shawn. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) SAIL Report Scorecard Shows Majority Of VA Medical Centers Have Improved:
Using a web-based report scorecard that measures, evaluates and benchmarks quality and efficiency at its medical centers, the VA recently released data that showed significant improvements at the majority of its health care facilities. Read more.
Veterans Facing Judges To Get More Courtroom Advocates As Legal Assistance Program Expands:
President Donald Trump signed into law a significant expansion of the Veterans Justice Outreach program, a move that will put dozens more specialists into courtrooms nationwide to help work with veterans facing legal troubles. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Student Aide, Substitute Student Aide And Other Positions:
You have completed many missions during military service, and you can continue to help others at ESS|Mission One. With a mission of service to school students, ESS|Mission One provides temporary and permanent support personnel to school districts. Similar to military service, on-going training is provided to employees to enhance and develop permanent career positions. Substitute positions also include benefits and flexible scheduling. Search job posting #12405028 or #12405023, or “ESS Source4Teachers” for openings across the state at Website.
The PA Farm Show Complex And Expo Center Is Now Hiring!:
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture seeks candidates for temporary security officer and laborer positions at the Farm Show Complex and Expo Center (Dauphin County). Interested individuals must apply online through the Website to Farm Show Security Officer 1 OR Farm Show Laborer Employment.
Startup Weekend Central PA:
- Oct. 26-28, 2018, event begins on Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. and ends on Oct. 28 in the evening
- The Candy Factory, 342 N. Queen St., Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County)
- Point of contact: Chris Doscher at 703-303-8967 or email [email protected]
- Startup Weekend invites veterans and service members who are considering entrepreneurship. Startup Weekend is operated by Techstars and partners with Google for Entrepreneurs. It is a unique event in which participants take businesses from idea to viability in 54 hours.
- Read more.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
SECVA Wilkie Community Townhall Webcast:
- Sept. 27, 2018, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie will host his first State of VA Community Town hall . The secretary and eight guest panelists will highlight the activity and direction of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) since his appointment to lead the department in July.
Pottstown Community Day:
- Sept. 29, 2018, 11 a.m.
- 75 W. King St., Pottstown, PA (Montgomery County)
- Point of contact: Michael Murphy at 610-587-6556 or email [email protected] or [email protected]
- A free public event honoring veterans and their service. Honoring three Vietnam veterans with the Glass Tear Hero award with full military salute. The honorees will be escorted by the police department and a military vehicle escort into Veterans Island. The complete ceremony will be at the Vietnam Memorial gazebo. The escort starts at American Legion Post 626, Birdsboro at 9:30 a.m.
Block Party & Car Show:
- Sept. 29, 2018, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Delaware Valley Veterans' Home, 2701 Southampton Rd., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)
- Any questions call 215-856-2700
- Please join us for canvas painting, bounce house, music, face painting, crafters/vendors, carnival games, bake sale, flea market, petting zoo, clown/balloons and car show! $5 meal platters provided by Texas Roadhouse will be available.
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) Morning Event:
- Oct. 3, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Seven Oaks Country Club, 132 Lisbon Rd., Beaver, PA (Beaver County).
- Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast is free. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or email [email protected].
- The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.
- Facebook page.
DMVA Adjutant General To Participate In Cabinet In Your Community Event:
- Oct. 3, 2018, 1:30 p.m.
- Lebanon Valley College, Blair Music Center, Lutz Recital Hall, 101 N. College Ave., Annville PA (Lebanon County)
- Join the discussion with members of Governor Wolf's Cabinet to talk about issues that are important to you and your region.
- R.S.V.P. to [email protected] or call 570-614-2090 by Sept. 29th
Folds Of Honor – Southmoore Patriot Golf Day Tournament:
- Oct. 7, 2018, 12:30 p.m. Pre-Golf Clinic, 1 p.m. shotgun start
- 235 Moorestown Dr., Bath, PA (Northampton County)
- Point of contact: Beth Simmons at 610-442-5718
- Golf and lunch reception costs $75 per person and $300 per team. Foursomes will tee off in support of families of our nation’s injured and fallen veterans. 80-90 percent of all proceeds at the tournament go directly toward our higher education and children’s fund scholarships. Method of payment: check or Money Order payable to Folds of Honor E. PA-NJ Chapter, and sent to P.O. Box 276, Center Valley, PA 18034.
Cambria County Veteran Services Town Hall Meeting – Ashville, PA:
- Oct. 12, 2018, 6-8 p.m.
- Ashville VFW, 158 West Main St., Ashville, PA (Cambria County)
- Any questions call 814-472-1590
- The Town Hall meeting aims to inform veterans and their families about the services and benefits available to them, and answering their questions.
Women Veterans Town Hall And Expo:
- Oct. 27, 2018, 9 a.m.-Noon
- Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center, 3900 Woodland Ave., Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)
- The Women Veterans Committee of the Governor’s Advisory Council for Veterans' Services invites ALL Veterans & Community Supporters to attend a FREE & engaging Women Veterans Town Hall & Expo! All are welcome to participate in briefings and information sharing about available resources for military women. Women veterans this Expo is for YOU! Come voice your comments, concerns, and have your questions answered by a wide network of care providers. We're shining light on the experience of Military Women and highlighting their strength.
Veteran Participation Needed For Veterans Week Parade:
The Veterans Week Committee is looking for veterans who have received the Purple Heart medal and who would like to participate as a Grand Marshal in the annual Coatesville VAMC Veterans Parade, which is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. This year’s special tribute recognizes the Centennial of the ending of World War I. Our goal during this tribute is to Honor our Purple Heart recipients. If you would like to participate or to nominate a veteran as a Grand Marshal, please contact Patricia Ohar at 610-384-7711, ext. 4690 by Oct. 12, 2018.
2018 Veterans Breakfasts, Two Events Honoring Our Service Members:
- The first breakfast will take place on Nov. 8, 2018, 10 a.m.-noon, Second breakfast, Nov. 9, 2018, 8-10 a.m.
- Lower Swatara Fire Department, 1350 Fulling Mill Rd., Middletown, PA (Dauphin County)
- Reservations for these events are required and can be made by contacting State Rep. Tom Mehaffie's office at 717-534-1323, by Oct. 29, 2018
- In honor of servicemen and servicewomen of the 106th District, State Rep. Tom Mehaffie will be hosting two veterans breakfasts. The first event is for veterans residing in continuing care communities and personal care homes only. The second event is open to all other veterans residing in the 106th District.
Stay Connected with the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs:
On the Web
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
View our Flickr photos
Email us at DMVA Veterans Affairs - Email Contacts
Click here to Unsubscribe
PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Bldg. 0-47