Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
A publication of Pennsylvania's Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) Morning Event:
- Aug. 28, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m.- Salvatore’s Banquets, 5001 Curry Hollow Rd., Baldwin, PA (Allegheny County).- R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.P.- Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast, event is free. The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) 911th Airlift Wing Event:
- Sept. 5, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m.- 911th Airlift Wing, 2475 Defense Ave., Coraopolis, PA (Allegheny County)- For more information call 412-623-9029 or email [email protected]. R.S.V.P. is required by Sept. 2, 2018, to Veterans Breakfast Club, 200 Magnolia Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15228.- Breakfast and stories are held at the Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Club and cost $15 per person. Include the names and birth dates of all attendees with a check for $15 per person payable to “Veterans Breakfast Club.”- All attendees MUST present a valid ID with birthdate to enter the base. Retired military may enter without sending birthdate ahead of time.
- Sept. 8, 2018, 9:30-11:30 a.m.- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh-Main in Oakland, 4400 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Free Breakfast. R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P.- The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
DMVA Is Hiring!:
The commonwealth is hiring! State agencies including the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs have positions available in counties across PA. DMVA is seeking professionals in varying fields, including healthcare. A few of the positions available include chief pharmacist, LPN's, PRN's, and RN's for the six veterans' homes located throughout the state. Read more.
East Penn Manufacturing Co. Inc. Open Recruitment:
- Aug. 23, 2018, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- PA CareerLink Berks County, 1920 Kutztown Rd., Suite F, Reading, PA (Berks County)- Any questions call: 610-988-1300- A recruitment team representative will be onsite to meet with you and will be recruiting for the following positions: industrial maintenance mechanics, machine operators/laborers, electrical mechanical technicians, automation control technicians, industrial service technicians and entry level clerical.
Retail Grocery Inventory Specialists (RGIS) Open Recruitment:
- Aug. 23, 2018, 10 a.m-2 p.m.- Pennsylvania CareerLink Berks County, 1920 Kutztown Rd., Suite F, Reading, PA (Berks County)- RGIS performs more than 1,400 inventories per day for companies of all types and sizes. RGIS is looking to hire for the following part-time positions: inventory associates and team leads.- Apply prior to the event at Website or text “Icancount” to 97211
Job Fair Keystone Containers:
- Aug. 23, 2018, 2-6 p.m.- Plastic Industries, 4201 Pottsville Pike #2, Reading, PA (Berks County)- Plastic Industries is a national, mid-size manufacturer of HDPE blow molded bottles and containers for the dairy, juice, water and food service industries. Available positions: loader, machine operator, maintenance technician and maintenance manager.- Website.
Veterans’ First Fridays: Job Fair Bootcamp With GI Jobs:
- Sept. 7, 2018, 1-3 p.m.- 304 Wood St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)- Point of contact: Melissa Handlovitch at 412-552-7100 or email [email protected] - All veterans and eligible spouses are welcome. A team member and strong veteran advocate of GI Jobs will share tips and information on how to successfully navigate a job fair. This is not a job fair or table event. Workshop begins at 1 p.m.- Website.
Advanced Disposal Is Hiring CDL Driver Residential Shippensburg And Northampton, PA:
Advanced Disposal is a company that provides cost-effective and environmentally-sound solutions for waste and recycling collection, transportation, processing and disposal. For more information, contact Joe Gordon at 678-497-2362 or email [email protected] Apply.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Warrior Scholarship Project:
- Aug. 24, 2018, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.- HACC Campus, One HACC Dr., Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- The Warrior Scholarship an intensive veteran student workshop aimed to get new students acclimated to college, or those in school looking for more tips and resources.- Website.
Queen City Airport Will Be Celebrating Its 75th Anniversary:
- Aug. 25, 2018, 4-10 p.m.- 3311 Airport Rd., Allentown, PA (Lehigh County)- Help celebrate the history of Queen City Airport with a variety of attractions for the entire family, including helicopter and airplane rides, a classic car show, food trucks, a beer garden, vendors, live entertainment by the Swing Time Dolls, kids zone with rides and games, and much more! The airport authority will recognize and honor veterans of World War II in attendance, while highlighting the rich aviation history in the Lehigh Valley. Proceeds will benefit PA Wounded Warriors.- Website.
Veterans On The Susquehanna Event:
- Aug. 25, 2018- Wrightsville, PA (York County)- Valley veterans, their families and the public can enjoy a day of paddling and fishing, food and live music at the fourth annual “Veterans on the Susquehanna." The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF), Heroes on the Water – Central Pennsylvania Chapter and Shank’s Mare Outfitters have joined forces to host the event.- Website.
Food Bank For Military Families Set For Aug. 30:
- Aug. 30, 2018, 2:30-4 p.m.- Lewis Run Armory, 119 Airport Rd., Lewis Run, PA (McKean County)- R.S.V.P by Aug. 24 by calling 814-398-6037. Participants are asked to bring ID and a box or bags in which to put food.- The event will include a distribution of free produce and other grocery products for members of the National Guard, Reservists, active military veterans and their families.- Website.
Seventh Annual Disabled American Veterans Chapter 25 Golf Outing:
- Sept. 4, 2018, 10:30 a.m., registration begins at 11:30 a.m., lunch buffet at 1 p.m.- Rivercrest Golf Club & Preserve, 100 Golf Club Dr., Phoenixville, PA (Chester County)- Website. - Facebook page.
MilitaryShare Fresh Express Program:
- Sept. 4, 2018, and every 1st Tuesday of the month, 11 a.m.- Veterans Serving Veterans Knoxville VFW Post #6753, 703 Boatman Rd., Knoxville, PA (Tioga County)- Point of contact: Sandy Fischer at 814-326-0804 to pre-register.- Registration is required for MilitaryShare distribution. MilitaryShare, a collaborative program of local food banks and the Pennsylvania National Guard, is desgined to provide fresh, nutritious foods for veterans and military families in need.- Proof of Military Service, such as DD214, Military ID or VA Military Card is required to register.- Website.
Register For Free Making $ense Of Finance Workshop:
- Sept. 7, 2018, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- Fort Indiantown Gap, Building 8-80, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: 717-705-2687 or email [email protected] - FREE to members of the military, veterans and their spouses. USO will be awarding raffle prizes to participants at conclusion of the event. Complimentary food and drinks. FREE parking.- Learn more about investment, retirement, budgeting, understanding military benefits, credit reports, credit score and scam prevention.- Register.
Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency Family Event:
- Sept. 8, 2018, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.- Philadelphia, PA (Philadelphia County)- The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) conducts periodic updates and annual government briefings for families of American service members who are missing in action. These events are designed to keep family members informed of the U.S. government's worldwide mission to account for those still missing and to discuss in detail the latest information available about their specific cases.- Register.
Folds Of Honor – Pine Meadows 2nd Annual Patriot Golf Day Tournament:
- Sept. 8, 2018, 8 a.m., shotgun start- 319 Pine Meadow Rd., Lebanon, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: Beth Simmons at 610-442-5718- Guest Speaker, former President PGA, Alan Wronokwski- Website.
10th Annual Maj. Gen. Frank H. Smoker Jr. Foxhole Invitational Golf Tournament:
- Sept. 8, 2018, 1 p.m., shotgun start- Blue Mountain Golf Course, 628 Blue Mountain Rd., Fredericksburg, PA (Lebanon County)- Point of contact: Mrs. Jamie Saphore at 717-813-7581 or email [email protected] - Tee up for the 10th Annual Maj. Gen. Frank H Smoker Jr. Foxhole Invitational Golf Tournament. This four-person scramble includes a steak dinner, contests and cash prizes. All proceeds benefit the Pennsylvania National Guard Military Museum at Fort Indiantown Gap. Sponsors and golfers welcome!- Website.
DMVA Participates In National Cyber Training Exercise:
Pennsylvania's new Inter-Agency Election Preparedness and Security workgroup and county election personnel from across the commonwealth participated in a first-of-its-kind national and local election cyber exercise organized in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Member agencies of the workgroup include the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Department of State, the Office of Administration, the Governor's Office, the Office of Homeland Security, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, the Pennsylvania State Police and the Office of State Inspector General. Read more.
Pennsylvania National Guard Responds To August Floods:
“The Pennsylvania National Guard stands ready to support our commonwealth whenever and wherever we are needed,” said Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, Pennsylvania’s adjutant general and head of the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. “We rely on our extensive training, strong partnerships and a quick response time to safeguard our citizens during emergencies like the flooding many communities are facing right now.” Read more.
State Veterans Homes Accepting Applications:
DMVA operates six long-term care facilities open to veterans and their eligible spouses. The homes offer personal and skilled nursing care in a safe, secure and caring environment. Read more.
Around the State
Avoca (Luzerne County) Veteran Posthumously Receives Purple Heart 100 Years After WWI Injury:
Cpl. David Boone found himself on the wrong end of mustard gas fighting in France in World War I. He recovered and continued to serve, but he hadn't received a Purple Heart for his efforts, until now. Family of the late WWI hero gathered at Keisinger Funeral Home on McAlpine Street on Saturday as Boone’s Purple Heart was presented posthumously to his son, John Boone, by U.S. Rep. Matt Cartwright, D-Moosic. Read more.
Comcast Expands Low-Income Internet Access Program To Include Veterans:
Comcast officials announced Monday that their Internet Essentials program, which helps connect low-income families to the internet, is now expanding to help veterans in need. Comcast Senior Executive Vice President David Cohen, with Mayor Jim Kenney and other city officials on hand, made the announcement at the former Edison High School building at 7th and West Somerset streets in the Fairhill section of North Philadelphia. The property is being transformed into "Edison 64," a place for dozens of homeless veterans to live. Read more.
Officials Seeking Photos For Nine Fallen Vietnam Vets From Montgomery County:
County officials are asking for the public's help in tracking down photographs of nine local veterans from the area who were killed in action in the Vietnam War. The Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds, Jeanne Sorg, said that the county is hoping to add the photos to the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Virtual Wall of Faces. "Our office has been working on this since 2016," Sorg said Thursday. Read more.
Post Office Named For Iraq War Veteran:
A soldier killed in action in Iraq has been honored in Tioga County. The Liberty Post Office was renamed in honor of Staff Sergeant Ryan Ostrom. The 25-year-old died while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2005. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 109th Infantry of the Pennsylvania National Guard out of Williamsport. Read more.
Seeking Letters Of Intent For Community Grants Program:
The Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council is now accepting “letters of intent” for community grants, our small grants program. Community grants are intended to bring together people, with and without disabilities, in a local community initiative to influence social change and improve the lives of everyone in the community. You can learn more about this grant opportunity and how to submit a letter of intent, at the following website.
Across the Nation
Forever GI Bill Changes The Way VA Reimburses For Tests, Certifications, And Licensing Exams:
Do you need to take the SAT, GRE, LSAT, a licensing certification, or even a journeyman or other employment-related test? Your GI Bill® can help you cover the fees, and the Forever GI Bill can make it a more useful option. If you’re a veteran or service member using the Post-9/11 GI Bill to pay for your education and need to take a national test, certification, or licensing exam, beginning Aug. 1, 2018 you’ll soon be charged the “true cost” of the test. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Assists Veterans Transition From Homelessness:
For veterans transitioning out of homelessness, securing a job is an important step to becoming and remaining stably housed. Bridgetta Blockmon, the community employment coordinator for the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center in Charleston, S.C., has made it her mission to see that the veterans in her area are able to find long-term employment. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) VITAL Program Helps Student Veterans:
Many veterans want to pursue higher education when they get out of the armed forces and whether you served four years or retired after decades of service, heading back to school can be a daunting task. Veterans face their own unique challenges when pursuing a degree. VA’s Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership program or VITAL program is helping veterans face that task. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA), Walgreens Collaborate To Improve Care Coordination For Veterans:
As part of efforts to improve care coordination for veterans, the VA is working with pharmacy services provider Walgreens to coordinate patient and pharmaceutical care for VA-enrolled patients. With the click of a button, VA providers will be able to see the entire medication and immunization history of VA-enrolled patients who receive their prescription and immunization needs at Walgreens. Read more.
Veterans Answer The Call To Serve, Again:
The more than 400 veterans running for Congress offer voters a devotion to country over party. If Maura Sullivan and Eddie Edwards are successful in winning their respective primaries next month, they'll be facing off in one of the most hotly-contested races for Congress in November, the eastern New Hampshire district being vacated by the retiring Democratic Rep. Read more.
Why It Is So Important For Veterans And Their Families To Get Their Flu Shot And Other Vaccines:
All veterans and their families should get recommended vaccines to protect their health. Even healthy adults can become ill and pass diseases on to others. Everyone should have their vaccination needs assessed by a health care professional. Read more.
How U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Supports Ongoing Education With Debt Relief:
VA health care professionals are constantly learning from diagnostic methodology, advanced treatments and the latest in experimental technologies and continually improving its ability to provide top-notch care for America’s veterans. Continuous learning is essential to the work VA does. VA employees are encouraged to pursue higher education through one of the most comprehensive education support programs in the nation. Read more.
Photo: A Soldier from the 28th Military Police Company passes a case of water to a Marine to be loaded onto a pallet at the distribution center on Staten Island, N.Y. New York was hit hard by the effects of Hurricane Sandy, and with the support of Pennsylvania and other states National Guard, preparing for a snowstorm. (Photo by Spc. Zane Craig/Released)