The ability to drive is an important element in maintaing one's independence but as people age, it becomes more challenging. These are a few safety tips that seniors can use to drive safely.
• Avoid driving at night if you have trouble with your vision.
• Avoid driving during periods of high traffic.
• Raise your seat high enough so you can have a clear view of the road.
• Keep your windshield and headlights clear.
• Limit distracting noises inside the vehicle.
• Keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead so you have ample stopping time.
• Get periodic vision and hearing tests.
• Take a defensive driving class offered through AARP.
• Do not drive if you are feeling tired.
• Avoid driving in inclement weather.
• Use other transportation such as taxis or buses if you are unsure of yourself.
• Always wear a seat belt.
• Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about continuing to drive.
Westmoreland County Area Agency on Aging
200 S Main St
Greensburg, PA 15601
Contact: Marguerite Patterson