Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Fort Indiantown Gap Environmental Program Wins 2018 Secretary Of The Army Environmental Award For Conservation:
The installation's natural resource conservation team, staffed by members of the Pennsylvania National Guard and Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs won the 2018 Secretary of the Army Natural Resources Conservation Team Award. Read more.
Cabinet In Your Community Event Coming To University Of Pittsburgh-Greensburg:
Governor Tom Wolf cabinet officials from the Pennsylvania Department's of Military and Veterans Affairs, Community and Economic Development, State Police, Environmental Protection and Drug and Alcohol Programs, will gather at the University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg in Greensburg, PA (Westmoreland County), for the Cabinet in Your Community event on July 30. We hope to see you there! Don't forget to R.S.V.P. by July 27. Read more.
Pennsylvania Veterans Homes:
DMVA operates six Veterans' Homes located throughout the commonwealth. They are all accepting applications for admission and one of them could make the perfect home for you or your spouse! The Homes are located in: Allegheny County; Blair County; Chester County; Erie County; Lackawanna County; and Philadelphia County. For more information, call DMVA's Bureau of Veterans Homes at 717-861-8906 or visit the Veterans Homes website.
Around the State
16 Women Veterans Who 'Deserve Our Recognition' – 100 Years Of Heroes:
This slideshow highlights the military service and achievements of these 16 women from Pennsylvania. They hail from various sections of the state and possess a variety of backgrounds and a multitude of tours. Their time in the military spans a mix of wars and includes an assortment of medals, accolades and honors. Read more.
Attention Veterans – Join PennLive's 100 Years Of Heroes Photograph Day:
If you served, you are welcome. As part of PennLive's 100 Years of Heroes project that will run through Veterans Day, PennLive is seeking 100 veterans to have their photograph taken. There is no charge for this. They are looking for veterans to either dress in their uniform for the photo shoot or bring along their uniform and/or memorabilia to display during this professional shoot. Read more.
Compost Bagging Project:
Do you have experience gardening? Is it a hobby or a profession? If you garden at any level, the Social Enterprise Institute at Elizabethtown College would love to speak with you! The institute is conducting research this summer and would like to interview PA veterans interested in gardening. If you would like to participate, please contact student researcher, Kira Kuhar at [email protected].
L&I Secretary Oleksiak And East Penn Manufacturing Representatives Discuss Hiring Of Local Workers At PA CareerLink® Berks County:
As part of the effort to help businesses connect with skilled and talented workers, Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) Secretary Jerry Oleksiak met with leaders from East Penn Manufacturing and the PA CareerLink® Berks County to discuss the Wolf administration’s job training and career readiness initiatives and the company’s plans to hire more than 50 local workers. Read more.
Pennsylvania Resort And Folds Of Honor Expand Their Five-Year Partnership By Establishing East Coast Destination Partnership And Military Appreciation Weekend:
In front of a standing-room-only crowd, John Pillar, PGA Director of Golf Operations at Woodloch Springs, announced the birth of a new destination partnership bringing closer together Woodloch Resort, an award-winning family resort in the Pocono Mountains, and Folds of Honor, a nonprofit organization which provides educational scholarships to families of military men and women who have fallen or become disabled as a result of their active duty service. Read more.
Remains Of WWII Veteran From Wilkes Barre Have Been Identified:
The remains of Army Pfc. Willard Jenkins, of Wilkes Barre, PA, that have been unaccounted for since World War II, have been identified by the Defense POW / MIA Accounting Agency. Interment services are pending; more details will be released 7-10 days prior to scheduled funeral services. Jenkins’ name is recorded on the Tablets of the Missing at the Netherlands American Cemetery, an American Battle Monuments Commission site in Margraten, Netherlands. Although interred as an "unknown", his grave was meticulously cared for over the past 70 years by the American Battle Monuments Commission. Read more.
Willow Grove Veterans Memorial Park Helicopter Monument A Reality:
Ralph Storti saw the future site of a remarkable monument honoring those who have served in the military. Fourteen years later, on July 12, 2018, his vision became a reality and the monument finally took its place in the sky. On top of a concrete foundation in the middle of the park now rests a green Bell Model 205 UH-ID Series Iroquois "Huey" helicopter mounted on a 15-foot curved steel support arm. Read more.
Across the Nation
An Annual Physical Saved One Veteran’s Life:
When was your last annual physical exam? Is that important? Asked Mr. Jones, a 64-year-old veteran and former smoker of 30 years. Having a physical saved his life. After discussing his prior smoking habits, Mr. Jones received a CT exam that revealed a “highly suspicious” tumor in his lower right lung. The tumor turned out to be stage 1 lung cancer and was successfully removed surgically without the need for chemotherapy or radiation. Read more.
Operation Donate With Honor – Federal Trade Commission, States Cracking Down On Fraudulent Veteran Charities:
Operation Donate with Honor, a federal-state education and enforcement initiative to combat fraudulent and deceptive charitable solicitations claiming to help veterans and military was launched by the Federal Trade Commission. In addition to taking legal action in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico, the initiative includes an education campaign to help consumers recognize charitable solicitation fraud and identify legitimate charities. Read more.
Protecting Yourself From Identity Theft:
The most common form of benefits theft is for someone to access a Veteran’s eBenefits account and change the bank deposit information. While this isn’t common (there are seven million active eBenefits accounts), 870 veterans have been victims of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits theft this year. Read more.
U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA) Reviewing World War II Mustard Gas Claims:
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is reviewing previously denied claims from World War II veterans who participated in full-body testing for mustard gas or Lewisite in the 1940’s. The claims are being reconsidered as part of Public Law 115-48, Section 502. The law extends a presumption of exposure to mustard gas or Lewisite to those previously denied veterans who served during WWII at one of the 22 specified sites or any other site VA determines is appropriate, and such service is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of service of the veteran. Read more.
Changes Coming To Survivors’ And Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program:
Effective August 1, 2018, the entitlement available under the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program will be reduced from 45 months to 36 months, but in October, the monthly allowance for eligible recipients will increase. These changes, part of the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, aka “Forever GI Bill,”were passed by Congress last summer. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Manufacturing Careers With The AZEK Company:
The AZEK® Company is the parent company to three business units: AZEK® Building Products, Scranton Products, and Vycom. Each manufactures industry-leading brands of highly engineered residential, commercial and industrial products, designed to replace wood, metal and other traditional materials in a variety of applications. Openings include extrusion operators, production assistants, material handlers, team leads, and production supervisors. Please call 570-558-8037 for more information or email [email protected].
Stay Current On Careers With the U.S. Department Of Veterans Affairs (VA):
From the latest spotlight jobs to exciting employee achievements, VA Careers makes it easy to stay in the know. Job candidates can learn what is happening at VA and how to stay abreast of current trends. Read more.
Urban Tech Jobs:
- August 2018- R.S.V.P. to [email protected] or call 215-985-3220 ext. 200 or 212- The Urban League of Philadelphia invites all interested veterans to join a FREE, 8-week accelerated technology training program that includes job readiness and resiliency workshops resulting in IT certification.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
Beatles Tribute Concert:
- July 26, 2018, 1:30-3 p.m.- Pennsylvania Soldiers’ & Sailors’ Home, 560 E. Third St., Erie (Erie County)- Point of contact: Katy Dilling at 814-878-4941- Beatles tribute concert in the gazebo featuring Tom Beam, Rick Cass, Mike Miller and Angelo Phillips. In case of inclement weather, the concert will take place in the personal care building dining hall. FREE.
Celebrating Veterans Walk A Mile In My Boots Festival:
- July 28, 2018, 4-10 p.m., 5K Twilight Run/Fun Boot Walk, 5 p.m.- Resevoir Park Course and Band Shell, Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)- Point of contact: 717-739-5907- Stage performances, food and craft vendors. Jazz Under The Stars with Art Sherrod, Jr. FREE concert benefits Pop's House. Bring lawn chairs.- Website. Register for the 5K Twilight Run/Fun Boot Walk.
Traveling Vietnam Wall Ickesburg, Perry County:
- July 29, 2018, 11 a.m. -- A church service conducted by Faith United Church will precede the ceremony at 10 a.m.- Willie Snyder Park, 10350 Raccoon Valley Rd., Ickesburg (Perry County).- Point of contact: call 717-582-2454. Veterans who would like to take part in the pinning ceremony can register here. - Will be celebrating a Bi-Centennial and pay tribute to veterans who were killed in Vietnam and honor veterans who served during the Vietnam era. If you are a veteran and served between Nov. 1, 1955 and May 15, 1975 (regardless of service location), you are invited to the pinning ceremony.- Website
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) Morning Event:
- Aug. 1, 2018, 8:30-10:30 a.m.- Seven Oaks Country Club, 132 Lisbon Rd., Beaver, PA (Beaver County).- Breakfast is $12. Without breakfast is free.- R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or email [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P.- The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
Veterans’ First Fridays – Resume Workshop Translating Military Skills:
- Aug. 3, 2018, 1-3 p.m.- PA CareerLink® Downtown Pittsburgh, 304 Wood St., Pittsburgh (Allegheny County)- Point of contact: Melissa Handlovitch at 412-436-2225 or email [email protected] - All veterans and eligible spouses are welcome. Learn how to successfully translate military experiences and skills onto your resume.- Website.
- August 4, 2018, 8-10 a.m.- Ramada Hotel & Conference Center, 1450 S. Atherton St., State College, PA (Centre County).- R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or email [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you R.S.V.P.- Veterans will eat free, non-veterans the cost is $16. The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
Veterans Breakfast Club (VBC) At Night:
- Aug. 6, 2018, 6:30p.m.- Spoonwood Brewing, 5981 Baptist Rd., Pittsburgh (Allegheny County)- R.S.V.P. to 412-623-9029 or email [email protected]. Please mention DMVA Digest when you RSVP.- Veterans eat for free. The VBC is a nonprofit that creates communities of listening around veterans and their stories. Storytelling events, both morning and night, are held throughout western Pennsylvania. Veterans from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan share their stories. They are open to the public, and you don’t need to be a veteran to attend.- Facebook page.
PA Military Finance Alliance – Making $ense Of Finance Workshop:
- Aug. 8, 2018, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.- Hiram G. Andrews Center, 727 Goucher St., Johnstown, PA (Cambria County)- Calling all members of the military, veterans, & their families! This FREE financial education workshop is designed to help with the unique challenges facing military and veterans in financial and investment decisions.- Register today!
Annual Lebanon Area Corvette And Camaro Car Show:
- August 12, 2018, 9 a.m.- Klick-Lewis Chevrolet, 720 E. Main St. (Rt. 422), Palmyra, PA (Lebanon County)- Food, DJ, raffle baskets and 50/50. Benefits the Military Family Relief Assistance Program and The Humane Society of Lebanon County.- Read more.
REBOOT Cobat Recovery Course:
- Beginning on Aug. 30, 2018- The James A. Danner VFW Post 537, 1095 Pines Rd., Goldsboro, PA (Adams County)- For more information on REBOOT, contact Doug Wahl at 717-649-4479 or email [email protected] - The training focuses on healing the spiritual and moral wounds of war and is led by combat veterans. The course is free to combat veterans, along with spouses and partners. Free child care and dinner are included. This is a 12-week course.
PA March For The Fallen:
- Sept. 29, 2018, time of day to be determined.- Ft Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA (Lebanon County)- The March for the Fallen is a great community event to honor the memory of all that have fallen in the defense of our nation. The event is open to the public with challenging routes from asphalt road to rolling and steep mountain trails on the training lands of Fort Indiantown Gap.- Register.
Introduction To Whole Health Class:
- Second and fourth Friday of every month, 9-11 a.m.- Erie VA Medical Center, 135 East 38th St., Erie, PA (Erie County)- Point of contact: Will Lachner at 814-860-2447- Whole Health coaches are available to help recently discharged veterans and their families work through challenges that arise from transitioning from military service by equipping them with tools for self-care and well-being. Family members are highly encouraged to attend.
Stay Connected with the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs:On the WebLike us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to our YouTube ChannelView our Flickr photosEmail us at DMVA Veterans Affairs - Email Contacts
Click here to Unsubscribe
PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Bldg. 0-47 Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, PA 17003