AARP Smart Driver Course is eight hours of classroom instruction developed by AARP and sponsored by the Westmoreland County Community College’s Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. We are not offering a 4 hour Refresher Class for those who have already completed the 8 hour class. There is no actual driving or written test involved with the program. A million graduates have completed the course to date.
The instructors are trained volunteers, aged 50 and older, who are concerned about safety on the road. These volunteers are recruited and trained by AARP to help others learn how to handle adverse driving conditions and traffic hazards, in addition to learning about the effects of aging and medications on driving.
Insurance reduction – Automobile insurance companies in PA voluntarily provide premium reductions to graduates of the AARP Smart Driver Course.
CAN YOU ANSWER THESE?
- How does the aging process affect your driving ability?
- What is the recommended way to determine safe following distance?
- (Hint: It’s not the car-length formula.)
- Which drugs and medications could cause problems for you behind the wheel?
- What are the recommended ways to help you see and be seen on the road?
- When are you expected to yield the right-of-way?
- How can you best respond to adverse driving conditions, such as snow, ice, rain, fog, and dark of night?
- Where are the danger spots in a parking lot?
It really works!
An examination of the records of more than 115,000 older drivers by the California Department of Motor Vehicles revealed that course graduates were involved in 16% fewer accidents resulting in injuries or fatalities and were convicted of 15.7% fewer traffic violations than older drivers in a control group. A majority (91%) of the drivers in the California test group were graduates of the AARP Smart Driver Course. The study is consistent with previous findings by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
|NOTE: The costs have changed.|
Fee - $20.00 Check payable to AARP at the first class
$15.00 for AARP members
(Membership card is needed for the $15.00 fee.)
Checks only, please.
Call registration – 724-925-4204
Or 1-800-262-2103, extension 4204
Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.