No Digest The Week Of Dec. 21-27:
In observance of the holidays, the DMVA Digest will not be issued the week of Dec. 27. A new issue of our weekly e-publication will be released on Jan. 3, 2018. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty to our commonwealth and its veterans. Happy holidays and a wonderful New Year to you and your loved ones!
Governor Wolf Makes Holiday Visit To The Southeastern Veterans’ Center:
Governor Tom Wolf joined Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, Pennsylvania’s adjutant general and head of the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, along with members of the Pennsylvania National Guard for a holiday visit to the Southeastern Veterans’ Center in Spring City. Read more.
Pennsylvania's Adjutant General Celebrates Christmas With Veterans:
Pennsylvania's Adjutant General, Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli, visited residents and their families at the Hollidaysburg Veterans Home in Blair County. He and other current service men and women sat with the veterans and shared stories and experiences. "It's nice to get to meet all the people from all the units and branches of the service," said Army veteran Monte Walter Sr. Read more.
DMVA'S Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center, Scranton, Holding Open House:
DMVA's Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center will hold an open house on Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018 from 1-4 p.m. in Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County). Attendees can take a tour, meet the staff, enjoy refreshments, participate in activities, experience the comradery of fellow veterans and learn about the admissions process. For more information, contact the admissions office at 570-961-4348 or visit Read more.
Pennsylvania Veterans Honored With Wreaths At Soldiers’ And Sailors’ Home Cemetery:
Members of the community and volunteers from the Pennsylvania Soldiers’ & Sailors’ Home in Erie, PA placed wreaths on each of the 1,324 graves in its veterans cemetery in coordination with the national Wreaths Across America program. The annual event places wreaths at more than 1,200 locations across America, at sea and abroad to honor service members who have served and sacrificed. Read more.
Around the State
Air Force Veteran Balances Three Jobs, Two Kids En Route To Penn State Degree:
Air Force veteran Selina Pedi was working three part-time jobs and trying to find permanent work as she pursued a career in sustainable community development. She was also raising two kids and home schooling one of them when she realized her GI Bill benefits would soon expire. She then decided to finish her bachelor’s degree online through Penn State World Campus. Read more.
Area Wendy's Restaurants Donate To Veterans In Need:
Wendy's restaurants continue to support veterans and their families with a state-wide campaign. Yesterday, at the Pennsylvania National Guard base at the Johnstown Airport, representatives from Wendy's restaurants from around the region presented a check for $35,000. Read more.
Christmas Brunch Honoring Local Veterans:
Friends and family of former Penn State quarterback and former Oakland Raider, Matt McGloin, held a Christmas party for veterans in Lackawanna County. Folks turned out at the Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center in Scranton recently for some food and fun. Read more.
Harrisburg-Based National Guard Unit To Deploy To Middle East:
A Harrisburg-based National Guard unit is slated to deploy to the Middle East next month. The 28th Infantry Division Headquarters is sending 500 soldiers to assist in Operation Spartan Shield, a mission designed to prevent and react to new threats in the region. Lt. Col. Keith Hickox, public affairs officer for the 28th, said the unit will serve under U.S. Central Command, coordinating troops and plans throughout the Middle East. Read more.
Initiative To Rename Route 176 Morgantown In Honor Of Veterans Passes Senate:
A road-naming bill to rename Route 176 in Berks County in honor of veterans was approved by the Pennsylvania Senate. Berks County’s inclusion in the bill was the result of the efforts of State Sen. Judy Schwank (D-Berks). Read more.
Veterans In Agriculture To Shine During 2018 PA Farm Show:
Pennsylvania Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding and Pennsylvania Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Tony Carrelli announced that the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture is partnering with the state’s Department of Military and Veterans Affairs again to host Veterans, Military, and Their Families Day on Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018 as part of the 102nd Pennsylvania Farm Show. Read more.
Wreaths Across America At Indiantown Gap National Cemetery Honors Thousands Of Veterans:
Indiantown Gap National Cemetery commemorated Wreaths Across America Day, an occasion marked by more than 1,200 cemeteries across the United States. It's the 12th year for the event at the Annville (Lebanon County) cemetery. Thousands attended, with more than 26,000 wreaths laid to honor departed veterans. Read more.
State Communities Support PA Air And Army Guard, Army Reserve Resiliency With Holiday Event:
Operation Homefront, a national organization devoted to military families, along with friends of the Family Readiness Group, joined with U.S. Air Force Key Spouse program volunteers and Wing staff to create a holiday event open to all military families. Read more.
'It’s Overwhelming To See All These Supporters' – Crowd Honors Veterans During Wreath-Laying Event:
He’s won a Bronze Star, a Purple Heart, and four Super Bowl rings. His life story has been the subject of a book, a TV movie, and a play. But as Rocky Bleier stood on a windswept hillside in Cecil, PA (Washington County), looking down at an austere white grave marker, it was the life of Andrew Hawes he was thinking of. “He had a good, long life,” said Bleier, noting that Hawes, a staff sergeant in World War II, had died in 2013 at the age of 94. Read more.
Cpl. Dickson Remembered At Wreath Laying:
Wreaths Across America, a nationwide program to honor fallen U.S. veterans of the Armed Forces with a holiday wreath, has reached out in memory of a fallen PA State Trooper who was also a Marine. A brief wreath laying ceremony was held at the PA State Police barracks at Blooming Grove (Pike County). A Christmas wreath was placed on the monument to Cpl. Bryon K. Dickson II, who was killed in an ambush at the barracks, Sept. 12, 2014. Read more.
Across the Nation
2018 Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund Application Set To Open:
Returning for the eighth award cycle, Farmer Veteran Coalition is excited to announce the application for the 2018 Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund will open Feb. 1, 2018. The application will remain open for four weeks before closing on March 1, 2018 at 5 p.m. The Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund is a small grant program that provides direct assistance to veterans who are in their beginning years of farming or ranching. Read more.
A Look At Veterans Affairs (VA) High-Tech Health Care Improvement Center:
A commitment to continuous improvement is a priority at VA's state-of-the-art health care improvement center, which opened earlier this year in Washington, D.C. Employees are responsible for tracking the clinical performance of VA hospitals throughout the country, identifying any issues that arise, and making sure those issues get resolved quickly. Read more.
Aimed At Preventing Suicides, Veterans Affairs (VA) Invites Seven Cities To Participate In Mayor’s Challenge:
VA and the Department of Health and Human Services’ Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration announced the inaugural Mayor’s Challenge to prevent suicide among service members, veterans and their families. The goal of the Mayor’s Challenge is to eliminate suicide by using a comprehensive public health approach to suicide prevention. Read more.
Community Helps Veteran Rebuild Home Destroyed By Fire:
On the coldest day of the year in Dallas, TX the wind cut a chilly swath through the framework of smoke charred walls belonging to 75-year old North Texas Dept. of Veterans Affairs patient, Arthur Shelton. These damaged walls once held a 50-year collection of photographs and camera gear cherished by the lifelong Dallas resident and U.S. Army Veteran. Charred wood and grey skies remind Shelton of his love for black and white photography. Read more.
Hyperbaric Treatments Offer New Promise For Veterans With Chronic PTSD:
What’s old is new again, at least when it comes to treating persistent post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in veterans. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, first used in the 1930s to treat decompression sickness in deep sea divers, is now being offered through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to a small number of veterans diagnosed with PTSD. It’s the latest effort from VA’s Center for Compassionate Innovation to promote promising treatments for chronic health conditions that may resist traditional therapy. Read more.
Marine Veteran And Family Get Mortgage-Free Home In Kansas Thanks To Nonprofit Operation Homefront:
A national nonprofit has awarded a Pennsylvania veteran and his family with a newly renovated, mortgage-free home in Kansas. U.S. Marine Cpl. Robert Hamilton III, his wife Elizabeth and their son Sawyer got their dream home and a new car thanks to Operation Homefront. Read more.
Photograph Of Great Grandfather In Uniform Inspires Teen To Film The Stories Of WWII Veterans:
When I was nine years old, I found a photograph of my late great grandfather, Gene Therman Fancher in military uniform. Handwritten on the back of this aged black and white image was “Italy, 1945.” Being young, I had many questions regarding Gene Fancher, but very few answers from my family. As it turned out, he spoke no detail of his personal World War II experience prior to his death in 1970. Read more.
Rescuing Veterans + Rescuing Shelter Dogs = Saving Lives:
It's been reported that more than 20 veterans take their own lives every day. And every year, hundreds of thousands of unwanted dogs are put to sleep. A new program from American Humane called "Shelter to Service," aims to match veterans who need help with shelter dogs. Read more.
Top Army Humanitarian Moments Of 2017 Providing Critical Assistance After Natural Disasters:
One of the Army's core missions is global engagement and was on high display in 2017, and not just in the form of military exercises with allies from Australia to Poland. From treating medical maladies in Djibouti, to providing pediatric care in Honduras and offering veterinary clinics in South Africa, the Army contributed to global and national security through tangible humanitarian assistance. Read more.
Veteran Offers Healthy Holiday Eating Tips That Won’t Bring Out Your Grinch:
Jim Mullarkey has been attending MOVE weight management classes at the Montana Veterans Affairs (VA) with his wife, Marie, for over a year. Since starting the classes, they have lost a cumulative 32 pounds. If you follow some of the tips, chances are you may start the New Year feeling merry and bright, and possibly merry and light. Read more.
Veterans Serving Veterans – The Hero’s Welcome Program:
Before the Hero’s Welcome volunteers meet with admitted veterans at the Tucson Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center, they go over their day’s objectives and remind themselves why they are here. Then, when satisfied with their plan, the volunteers set out to meet with the newly-admitted patients. Dick Horton, a Hero’s Welcome volunteer, walks into a hospital room. The man in the bed is Charles Goldberg; an Air Force veteran with his wife by his side. Read more.
Women Veterans: Retreat Healthy And Healing:
For the past two summers, Northport Veterans Affairs Medical Center staff has used the serene setting of Indian Lake, nestled in the Adirondack Mountains, to create a healthy and healing atmosphere for women veterans. Healing in Nature Retreats, funded entirely through donations, lasted six days and hosted nine women veterans on this trip. Read more.
This listing is offered as a resource to both Pennsylvania's veterans and businesses that seek to employ veterans. The DMVA has not investigated the positions being offered or the businesses listed, and does not warrant or guarantee either the availability or the terms and conditions of the positions listed. Please contact the employers represented in this listing directly. To have an employment opportunity listed please email: [email protected]
Governor Wolf Announces 205 New Jobs for Veteran and Military Families Through Business Expansion in Erie County:
Governor Tom Wolf announced that Disabled Veteran Solutions, a veteran-owned provider of call center services that focuses on hiring veterans and military families, will expand operations at a new site in the city of Erie (Erie County), a move that will create 205 new Pennsylvania jobs. Read more.
Company To Add 205 Jobs In Move To Erie From Millcreek:
Disabled Veteran Solutions is a veteran-owned call-center services company that focuses on hiring veterans and military families. Erie, PA native Joseph DiFuccia remembers wondering what he was qualified to do when an eight-year Army career ended 25 years ago. Read more.
Fertile Valley Farm In Honesdale, PA Is Hiring:
- Looking for a motivated, hard-working individual to work at a small dairy and beef operation, spanning all aspects of daily farm life.
- Apply via email to [email protected]. Include two references, a resume or description of experiences, and availability.
- Facebook page.
PA Disabiity Rights Advocate/Project Lead Position Opening:
- Disability Rights Pennsylvania (DRP) seeks an Advocate/Project Lead in the Harrisburg office. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by Dec. 22, 2017.
- Point of contact: Shelley Moore at 717-236-8110 or email [email protected]
- Job posting.
UPS Job Openings:
- The UPS facility in Throop, PA (Lackawanna County) has openings for non-strategic collections associates, Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Point of contact: Jennifer Compton at 570-969-3394 or email [email protected]
- Apply. Please note vacancies are listed as a Scranton, PA Location on the website.
Veterans' Job Search Group:
- Jan. 5, 2018, 10 a.m.-noon
- PA Careerlink Downtown Pittsburgh, 304 Wood St., Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)
- Point of contact: Melissa Handlovitch at 412-552-7100 or email [email protected]
- All veterans and eligible spouses are welcome to our first Veterans' Job Search Group. The focus is on government entities and federal contractors seeking veterans with disabilities.
- Registration is required, seating is limited. Register.
Waste Management Hiring Heavy Equipment Mechanics In Philadelphia, PA:
- Text WASTE to 51893 or call 1-877-220-5627 for more information
- Requirements: one year of prior heavy equipment diesel maintenance experience. Must be at least 18 years of age and must have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
This listing is offered as a service to individuals and organizations to promote their veteran and military-oriented events being held in Pennsylvania. The information is taken directly from emailed submissions from requestors. DMVA is not responsible for incorrect information submitted. Please send details on events to [email protected] and include the following key pieces of information: 1. Name of event, 2. Date of event, 3. Time of event, 4. Address of event, 5. County of event, 6. Event website, 7. Point of contact name, 8. POC phone number, 9. POC email address, and 10. Additional details/coordinating instructions (fees, pre-registration, etc.)
National Alliance On Mental Illness Recovery Support Group:
- Every Thursday night, 6:30-8 p.m.
- 640 Centre Ave., Reading, PA (Berks County)
- Point of contact: 610-685-3000 or email [email protected]
- NAMI connection is a recovery support group for individuals 18 and over with mental illness that offers respect, understanding, encouragement and hope.
Fly Tying Instruction:
- First and third Thursday of each month, 6-8 p.m.
- American Legion Post #34, 1388 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster, PA (Lancaster County)
- Point of contact: Bill Nolan at 717-875-7426 or email [email protected]
- Donegal Trout Unlimited veterans service program is offering a free program to veterans, designed to teach the basics of fly fishing. All equipment and supplies will be provided free of charge.
- Facebook page.
DMVA'S Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center In Scranton Is Inviting The Public To An Open House:
- Jan. 7, 2018, 1-4 p.m.
- Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center, 402 Penn Ave., Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County)
- Point of contact: admissions office at 570-961-4348 or email [email protected]
- DMVA's Gino J. Merli Veterans' Center will hold an open house on Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018 from 1-4 p.m. Attendees can take a tour, meet the staff, enjoy refreshments, participate in activities, experience the comradery of fellow veterans and learn about the admissions process. For more information, contact the admissions office at 570-961-4348.
- Read more.
MilitaryShare Fresh Express Program:
- Jan. 9, 2018 and every first Tuesday of the month, 2-4 p.m.
- American Legion Post #572, 323 S. Williamson Rd., Blossburg, PA (Tioga County)
- Point of contact: Scott Ostrom at 717-682-10570-971-2758 or email [email protected] to pre-register.
- Registration is required for the free MilitaryShare distribution. MilitaryShare, a collaborative program of local food banks and the PA National Guard, is desgined to provide fresh, nutritious foods for veterans and military families in need.
Indoor Fly Fishing 101 Training Sessions:
- Jan. 14, 2018, 1 p.m.
- Comfort Suites, 132 Village Dr., State College, PA (Centre County)
- Point of contact: Daniel VanWinkle at 609-203-5051 or email [email protected]
- This course will include watershed education, fishing techniques and fly fishing. Come and prepare for a great 2018 season on the stream!
National Alliance On Mental Health Family Support Group:
- Second Wednesday of every month 7-8:30 p.m.
- 640 Centre Ave., Reading, PA (Berks County)
- Point of contact: 610-685-3000 or email [email protected]
- NAMI connection is a safe group of families helping other families who live with mental illness.
Stay Connected with the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs:
On the Web
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
View our Flickr photos
Email us at DMVA Veterans Affairs - Email Contacts
Click here to Unsubscribe
PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Bldg. 0-47 F