There are several special services that the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Driver Licensing offers to senior citizens. Some of these include:
• Retired Person’s Vehicle Registration - If you are retired and receiving Social Security or other pension and your annual income from all sources is $19,200 or less, you may qualify to register your passenger vehicle or light truck for a $10 processing fee per year instead of the annual registration fee.
• Photo Licenses: Two-Year and Four-Year - Persons at least 65 years of age have the option of obtaining a two-year license. The two-year license is $19 as compared to $29.50; however you need to renew your license every two years as compared to the regular four-year renewal.
• Renewing your non-commercial Driver’s license or Vehicle registration early - If you plan to be out of the state for an extended period of time, and would like to renew your license or registration for up to six months ahead of time you may do so by completing the appropriate form from the DMV.
• Mature Driver Re-Examination Program - Each month, 1900 drivers over the age of 45 are chosen for retesting six months prior to the date of their driver’s license renewal. Each selected driver is required to undergo vision and physical examinations. If warranted by the results of the medical examination, those selected may also be required to successfully complete a driver’s examination and knowledge test.
• Photo Identification Card - If you are a Pennsylvania driver and would like to receive a non-driver photo ID card you may complete the appropriate form with the DMV. There is no cost to an individual who surrenders their license for medical reasons or who is determined not able to obtain a license from PennDOT. Individuals who have never held a Pennsylvania Driver’s license may apply for a Photo ID at any Driver License Center for a fee of $13.50
All forms for the above service are available on www.dmv.state.pa.us or by visiting your local Driver License Center
Westmoreland County Area Agency on Aging Information Line
200 South Main Street
Greensburg, PA 15601
Contact: Marguerite Patterson
Ph: (724) 830-4444
Toll free: (800) 442-8000