News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/27/2015 10:09:00 AM to 1/27/2015 10:12:30 AM.

News Flash

Veteran's Affairs

Posted on: January 27, 2015

[ARCHIVED] VA Disability and Death Pensions

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers pension benefits to qualifying wartime veterans and surviving spouses.

Unlike compensation benefits, which are for conditions caused by or aggravated by military service, pension benefits are available to meet non-service related needs. As a result income, net worth, and other considerations are taken into account when determining eligibility. Disability pension (vet) and death pension (dependent) are available at three levels.

Basic pension for a veteran requires an inability to work, but only for applicants under age 65. VA presumes disability for those who have reached this age. A surviving spouse need only meet the financial and basic eligibility requirements, employability is not considered.

The second level is for those who are housebound. A doctor must verify that the applicant is unable to substantively get to appointments, grocery shop, or take care of other matters outside the home without assistance. A special monthly housebound pension normally represents a higher monthly maximum payment.

The highest level of pension is also the most common. Aid and attendance represents a situation in which the claimant requires assistance in performing normal tasks called the activities of daily living (ADLs). As with housebound, a doctor must verify that there is a need. Additionally, with the exception of those who are blind ,a claimant must show that they are receiving assistance in performing their ADLs.

Aid and attendance has the highest potential monthly payment. In considering income, VA will use unreimbursed medical expenses to offset income, thus those in a personal care or nursing home are eligible for the maximum benefit because costs exceed their monthly income.
Veterans in receipt of a VA pension are eligible for VA healthcare without copay

If you have questions about, or need assistance in applying for VA pension, call the Westmoreland County Department of Veterans Affairs at (724) 830 -3531.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Veteran's Affairs

Westmoreland County Veterans satellite offices2

New Satellite Offices

Posted on: November 22, 2023

How to Get Your Free Veteran ID Card

Posted on: April 20, 2023
Older woman with sleeve rolled up after getting flu shot

Veterans: Get Your Flu Shot Today!

Posted on: October 27, 2021
Food Pantry Items

Mary's Market Emergency Food Pantry

Posted on: October 27, 2021

Military Medals

Posted on: February 4, 2020