Parks Horizons Plan
The Park Horizons Plans is a comprehensive park, recreation, and open space plan for Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Take a look at the seven sections of the plan below:
PurposeThe Plan, Parks Horizons, was conceived to:
- Identify the major issues and problems facing the County now and in the future.
- Define a long-term vision for the County’s various park, recreation and open space opportunities.
- Formulate policies and strategies to guide the planning, development and integration of the County’s park, recreation and open space resources.
- Establish a framework for cooperation and collaboration between the various recreation and open space providers.
- Define and prioritize short-term and long-term implementation strategies.
CommitteeThe Westmoreland County Commissioners, in 1998, recognized the need to study the county’s recreation and open space opportunities. The commissioners authorized the county’s Bureau of Parks and Recreation to form a thirty-one person Steering Committee composed of county residents and to initiate a county-wide Comprehensive Park, Recreation, and Open Space Plan. The plan was funded in part by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, and was created with the help of Environmental Planning and Design, LLC.
SurveyIn 1999, the Westmoreland County Bureau of Parks and Recreation completed a survey mailed to 10% of households in Westmoreland County and received a very favorable 17.1% return rate. The results indicated that the vast majority of county residents want more family oriented programs offered at multiple park sites. The responses also indicated that new monies should be pursued to develop new recreation and leisure oriented programs. Documenting many of these recommendations from the survey, the Westmoreland County Board of Commissioners adopted the Parks Horizons Master Plan in 2000.
In 2013, the Westmoreland County Bureau of Parks and Recreation completed another survey to ask residents and visitors what they would most like to see added to our park system, what programs they would like Westmoreland County Parks to sponsor, and other questions. Over 300 responses were counted in-person and online, and most answers indicated that the vast majority of county residents want more family oriented programs offered at multiple park sites.
Related Comprehensive Plans
- New Horizons: A County-Wide Greenways and Blueways Network
A companion document to the county’s comprehensive land use, parks, recreation, and open space planning efforts.
- Site and Recreation Plan for Cedar Creek Park, 2016
- Mammoth Park Rehabilitation - Phase 1 Master Plan, 2016
- County-wide Parks and Trails and Greenways Master Plan, 2016
- Turtle Creek Gorge Greenway Plan
February, 2011. (Please note that this is an extremely large file. The download may take a few minutes.)