Northmoreland Park Master Plan
During the Master Planning process hundreds of people provided feedback and input concerning which facilities that they would like to see either renovated or added new to Northmoreland County Park. We then developed cost estimates for each facility, with some to be renovated and some to be newly designed and constructed. After that we divided the facilities in groups that we considered to be fundable. The estimated cost of developing all of the facilities totaled over six million dollars, which will require that the groups be funded and constructed in phases over time.
To balance the need and desire for a variety of facilities with the cost of development and the goal to satisfy the largest number of users as quickly as possible the following funding phases are being considered:
Ball fields 5, 6 & 7, including access roads and parking $1,450,000
Destination Playground & Splash Park including parking/walkways $1,500,000
Soccer Complex #2 including parking $960,000
Loop Trails 3 & 4 and Kayak/Canoe Launch $150,000
Snow Tubing & Sledding Complex $390,000
Dog Park $540,000
Soccer Complex #1 $290,000
Disc Golf (18 holes) $50,000
Pump track & BMX upgrades $165,000
Loop Trails 1,2 & 3A $320,000
We have contracted with Richard Rauso, Landscape Architect and Park Planner, to develop the plans, specifications and estimates needed for both Phase I and Phase II. The process is underway. We hope to move on these facility developments over the next 2 years.
The big challenge is putting together the funds to make these projects happen. It will take a great effort and strong support from a combination of State, County, private foundation, local businesses and individual residents and families to put together all the funds needed to bring these projects to reality. The Westmoreland County Bureau of Parks and Recreation and its Citizens Advisory Board will be seeking grants and support from all the potential funders listed above. Individuals, families and local organizations and businesses can support these efforts by participating in our upcoming March for Parks on Saturday, March 21 hosted at both the Murrysville Sportzone and Twin Lakes County Park. Click here for more detailed information about the March for Parks and how to participate. We need your help to make these projects come alive at Northmoreland Park!
GPS Address: 280 Markle Road, Apollo, PA 15613
- Pavilion Rental: Northmoreland Park has eleven pavilions located throughout the park, which will accommodate groups up to 200. Rent a pavilion online here.
- Facilities : The Northmoreland Activity Center is available for year-round rental. It includes a small kitchen, indoor restrooms and a heated and air-conditioned reception hall / meeting room.
- Northmoreland Lake : The 17 acre lake offers great fishing opportunities and is stocked every year by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Recreational canoeing and kayaking is permitted from May 1 to October 31, 7:00 am to dusk. Only non-motorized kayak and canoes up to 16 feet in length are permitted. Click here for all rules and regulations.
- BMX Track : The BMX track is operated by the Westmoreland BMX Club and serves over 100 youth members. Club races and practice sessions are scheduled May through September. For more information, call the Westmoreland BMX Association at 724-980-6413.
- Athletic Fields : Four ball fields and six soccer fields are available at Northmoreland Park. There are also two tennis courts, several creative play areas and a basketball court. The newly renovated tennis and basketball courts are now open! The tennis courts can also be used for pickle ball!
- Model Radio-Controlled Airfield : Park visitors will see a wide variety of models take to the airways of Northmoreland Park. The Northmoreland Park R/C Airplane Club operates the model airfield at the park.
- Hunting : View the park map to see the portions of the park that are open for hunting.
- Park Hours: 9:00 a.m. to Dusk
- For more information, please call (724) 830-3950