Coroner Job Shadow
Applicants for a job shadow with the Westmoreland County Coroner’s Office must meet the following criteria:
- A job shadow is a (16) hour maximum program.
- Must be 18 years of age or older and provide the following documents via electronic submission through the application form:
- Scanned copy of valid driver's license or valid state issued photo identification.
- Scanned copy of valid health insurance card.
- Uploaded copy of resume.
- Uploaded essay on the student's/applicant's understanding of the duties of the coroner's office, statistics in Westmoreland County on caseloads/investigations, coroner laws within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and how the internship will be relevant to the student's educational experience/major.
- The essay is to be at minimum 500 words, double spaced, with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Research information can be found on this website and the internet to assist you in your writing.
- To be considered for participation, the job shadow must be a requirement or be completed for school credit.
- Upon receipt of application and all above documents, contact with the applicant will be made to confirm acceptance and an interview will be scheduled, if necessary.
- Applications received without ALL required documents will be incomplete and not considered for review.
- Applicants are advised to submit applications WELL in advance.
- A confidentiality agreement must be signed, due to the sensitive information within the office.
- Preference will be given to individuals pursuing careers and/or education in the following fields:
- Criminology / Criminal Justice
- Forensic Science
- Mortuary Science
- Law Enforcement
- Successful applicants must be willing to participate in all aspects and duties of the coroner’s office including, but not limited to:
- General office duties (answering phones, logging information, data entry, and filing)
- Scene investigation (general investigations under the supervision of a deputy coroner)
- Autopsy observation
- All necessary documents for the job shadow, including journals and school required documents, must be submitted and approved by the Westmoreland County Coroner or a Westmoreland County Coroner's Office representative.
- Job shadows are conducted during the daylight shift only.
- Job shadows are unpaid.