Discharge (DD214) Instructions

The National Archives and Records Administration is the official depository for records of military personnel who have separated from the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corp, Air Force, and Coast Guard. If you have lost or misplaced your original discharge documents, aka DD-214, and if you have recorded it with the Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds Office, you may obtain a certified replacement copy from our office at no cost to you.

If you have not recorded your DD-214 with the Recorder of Deeds, you can obtain an official copy by submitting a Standard Form 180 to: National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Dr.
St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.

Or you can click on this link:
Please note that a fire at the NPRC in St. Louis on July 12, 1973 destroyed about 80% of the records for Army personnel discharged between November 1, 1912 and January 1, 1960. About 75% of the records for Air Force personnel with surnames from “Hubbard” through “Z” discharged between September 25, 1947 and January 1, 1964 were also destroyed. If you should learn that your records have been lost in the fire, you may send photocopies of any documents that you possess to the NPRC, particularly separation documents. The NPRC will add these documents to the computerized index and file them permanently.

Veterans can record their discharge documents at the Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds Office Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM and 3:45 PM. Their office is located at 40 N. Pennsylvania Ave, Suite 404, Greensburg, PA 15601. There is no cost for this service.

Copies of previously recorded discharges may be obtained from the Westmoreland County Office of Veterans Affairs 2 N. Main St. Suite 502, Greensburg, PA 15601. Requests received after 3:30 PM will be mailed the following business day.