What is Restitution?

When a juvenile commits a crime, there are often financial ramifications to the crime. Restitution, simply put, is financial compensation for economic losses a victim has suffered. You will receive a victim claim form that will ask you to itemize all financial losses and include copies of estimates, bills or receipts to substantiate the claim.

Why do I have to include receipts and estimates?

The Juvenile Court Judge or Master is the person who will make the final decision to order restitution. His or her ability to order restitution is subject 6301 He or She will need to see verification of the losses, as well as any pertinent information regarding insurance.

When should I have this information completed?

As soon as possible. While it is sometimes not possible to have the information on the day of the scheduled hearing, any information you can provide is best.

Can I be compensated for my lost wages for the time spent in court?

Generally speaking, you can be compensated only for cash, property or medical bills, not for loss of time or wages.

What happens if no restitution is ordered?

You have the option of suing the juvenile and his or her family at the District Justice’s Office. By doing so, you are proceeding in a civil, rather that criminal manner. To do so, contact the District Justice's Office in your area.

Why can't I just sue the parents of the juvenile responsible?

In some cases, you may. However, the amount of the award can be no greater than one thousand ($1,000) dollars, based on the provisions of the Juvenile Act.