Friday, February 25, 2011 marked the twentieth anniversary of the scud missile attack on barracks housing members of the 14th Quartermaster Company, an Army Reserve unit out of Greensburg, Pennsylvania. The strike, which occurred in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, killed 43 soldiers and injured 99. Thirteen of the fatalities and 43 of those injured were members of the 14th.
A ceremony honoring the fallen was held at the unit. Congressman Tim Murphy and Brigadier General Peter S. Lennon were the key speakers at the event. Survivors of the attack and family members of those lost were in attendance, as were members of the Armed Forces, community leaders, and local citizens.
The events of February 25, 1991 devastated the local community. We take this opportunity to honor our fallen Soldiers and to recognize their sacrifice in a war against tyranny. Our thoughts and prayers go out to these heroes and to their loved ones. May we never forget:
- Specialist Steven E. Atherton, age 26, Nurmine, Pennsylvania
- Specialist John A. Boliver, Jr., age 27, Monongahela, Pennsylvania
- Sergeant Joseph P. Bongiorni III, age 20, Hickory, Pennsylvania
- Sergeant John T. Boxler, age 44, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Beverly S. Clark, age 23, Armagh, Pennsylvania
- Sergeant Allen B. Craver, age 32, Penn Hills, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Frank S. Keough, age 22, North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Anthony E. Madison, age 27, Monessen, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Christine L. Mayes, age 22, Rochester Mills, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Steven J. Siko, age 24, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Thomas G. Stone, age 20, Falconer, New York
- Specialist Frank J. Walls, age 20, Hawthorne, Pennsylvania
- Specialist Richard V. Wolverton, 22, Latrobe, Pennsylvania