Five Star Trail
The Five Star Trail is a rail-with-trail that stretches from Lynch Field in Greensburg to Youngwood and is located along the Southwestern Pennsylvania Railroad corridor. At Hillis Street in Youngwood, the trail branches off eastward to connect with the Westmoreland County Community College and continue to Armbrust.
The trail’s flat surface is ideal for walking, jogging, biking, and cross-country skiing. It is handicapped accessible and accommodates everyone regardless of age or physical ability (view the Regional Trail Corporation Mobility Device Policy).
Annual Membership Meeting
The Five Star Trail Chapter is hosting a Membership Meeting on Friday, February 4 at the Westmoreland Conservation District Barn. Join us for an evening of fellowship, pizza and refreshments, and updates on what's happening with the Five Star Trail. Renew your membership or become a new member! The fun starts at 6:30pm and feel free to bring a guest. RSVP to Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-830-3962 by January 31. Hope to see you there!
UpdateRecreational trails that operate next to active railroads, like the Five Star Trail, are an unusual circumstance, and only a few still exist in Pennsylvania. The Five Star Trail has been a success since the original lease agreement in 1996, and on January 1, 2021, the Trail reached a new 25-year lease agreement with the Southwestern Pennsylvania Railroad, extending until December 2045.
In the 25 years since the Five Star was constructed, the use of both the Trail and the Railroad has changed with the times. While additional steps are being studied to improve the safety along the shared corridor, we have updated the trail rules in cooperation with the railroad. Click here to view the Five Star Trail Rules.
Trail users must always remember:
- The trail is immediately adjacent to an active railroad line and trains can appear at any time, in any direction, and at any speed. When a train approaches, trail users should move as far away from the tracks as possible.
- No one is permitted to enter on to, walk on, or cross over the railroad tracks at any time. Trail users must remain on the trail at all times! Only cross at designated, signed crossings.
- STAY ALERT! Always be on the lookout for other trail users and approaching trains. Maintain personal awareness and limit your use of headphones or earbuds. Listen to music at a level that does not interfere with other trail users or your own safety.
The Westmoreland County Bureau of Parks and Recreation is a partner in this project along with the municipalities of Greensburg, South Greensburg, Southwest Greensburg, Youngwood, and Hempfield.
The Five Star Trail Chapter is a volunteer organization and is associated with the Regional Trail Corporation, a non-profit entity which promotes the conversion of right of ways into trails within Westmoreland, Allegheny and Fayette Counties.
The Five Star Trail Board Meetings are held at 6:30 pm on the 4th Tuesday of every month (no meeting February and November) at the Westmoreland County Department of Public Works Building located on 194 Donohoe Road in Greensburg.
Support the Five Star Trail! The Five Star Trail may be designated as your United Way Contributor Choice as option #1327675.
- Download the Five Star Trail Membership Brochure and Trail Map
- Check out the latest Five Star Trail newsletter!