Go To Search
Click to Home
PFA (Protection from Abuse) Orders

A Protection from Abuse (PFA) is a restraining order. In order to petition the Court for a PFA, you must be, or have been, in a relationship with or a family member of the person against whom you want to file. Under the Protection From Abuse Act, abuse is defined as physical abuse, a threat which places you in immediate fear of physical injury, or a pattern of conduct which places you in immediate fear of physical injury. The Protection Order can do the following:

  • Prohibit abusive conduct
  • Remove the abuser from your residence
  • Other provisions which the Judge deems appropriate

Emergency and Temporary PFA’s
An Emergency Order can be issued by a District Judge after 3:00 p.m. on a business day or when the Court of Common Pleas is closed. An Emergency order is in effect until the end of the next business day of the Court of Common Pleas.

  1. You must report to the Court of Common Pleas to have a temporary order issued.
  2. A Temporary Order stays in effect until the hearing for the permanent PFA is held. You can report directly to the Court of Common Pleas during business hours to file for a temporary order.

To file for an order you must:

  • Complete a petition for a Temporary PFA at the Court Administrator's Office,
  • Present the petition to the PFA judge,
  • The PFA petition and Temporary Order must be filed in the Prothonotary's Office,
  • Take copies of the PFA order to your local Police department and to the County Sheriff department (located in the basement of the Courthouse) for service.

You will be scheduled for a permanent PFA hearing the week following the issuance of the temporary order.

In order to file for a temporary PFA, call the PFA Office of the Court Administrator's Office at 724-853-2207. The office is located in on the 4th Floor of the County Annex at the Westmoreland County Courthouse, Greensburg, Pennsylvania. You can report to this office to petition for a PFA between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. A representative can answer questions, address criteria that must be met to get a PFA, and help you complete the necessary paperwork to file for a PFA. In any emergency, call 911. The police will assist you and provide information on how to get an emergency PFA and will file a report. For assistance in petitioning for a PFA and counseling assistance:

Blackburn Center: 24 hour hotline 724-836-1122, or 1-888-832-2272 toll free Business Office, 724-837-9540

The Hope Center, 24 hour hotline 724-339-4673, or 1-888-299-4673 toll free


Contact Us
Court Administration
PFA Office
2 North Main Street
Room M6 (Mezzanine)
Greensburg, PA 15601

Ph:  (724) 830-2207

For assistance petitioning
for a PFA and counseling: 

Blackburn Center:
24 hr hotline 724-836-1122,
or 1-888-832-2272
Business Office

The Hope Center

24 hr hotline 724-339-4673,
or 1-888-299-4673 toll free